F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Patterns in late rainy season starts ..wondering
      #15857 - Thu Jul 08 2004 02:00 AM

wonderful.. nepalese women have discovered a remarkable new way to get mosquito bites in unusual places. probably teleconnects somehow, the pattern i mean. i was in florida last week and didn't see a teleconnection as far as women plowing in the nude by moonlight...
HF 0200z08july

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: Patterns in late rainy season starts ..wondering [Re: HanKFranK]
      #16190 - Sat Jul 17 2004 12:55 AM

I Don't see any teleconnections, but after weeks of study it is obvious that the pattern and number of mosquito bites will have to be considered carefully in any analysis of analog years.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Patterns in late rainy season starts ..wondering [Re: HanKFranK]
      #16194 - Sat Jul 17 2004 11:53 AM

Well, I have given this considerable thought and many hours of scientific analysis and I believe that I have discovered the teleconnection error. Sounds like you had a disappointing trip to Florida, but you picked the wrong week and looked in the wrong places. It turns out that the analog has nothing to do with mosquito bites.

1. Last week the moon was in its fading final quarter (new moon today). You might have been more successful in verifying the theory if you had visited a week earlier (full moon on the 2nd).

2. In Florida the teleconnection transfers from the land to the seashore, and the task shifts from 'plowing' to 'plying'. It is usually only a 'full moon' phenomenon, but there are exceptions. It can be observed at Panama City Beach or Playalinda Beach on almost any summer evening - and at Key West throughout the year.

There is a related phenomenon, complete with gender switch, at Boston harbor on the coldest day of the winter - but obviously not a tropical teleconnection. I think that it may have something to do with nor'easters??? It was the Boston harbor event that pretty much confirmed the fact that mosquitoes are not involved. Then again, there may be some connection between mosquito bites and goose bumps - not sure. Probably needs more research.
Cheers,
ED

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Patterns in late rainy season starts ..wondering [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #16203 - Sat Jul 17 2004 09:04 PM

Did anyone happen to get any photos of the Nepalese ladies doing their rain dance? Well, this IS the Internet...I'm sure they're on here somewhere.

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center