F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 245 (Idalia) , Major: 245 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 245 (Idalia) Major: 245 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Steve hirsch.
Unregistered

Re: Afternoon Discussion [Re: LI Phil]
      #16390 - Tue Jul 20 2004 09:51 PM

Steve, did he explain the "B" north solution? Is he still going with 3 possibilities today? YOu mentioned that the "B" north solution opens up the SE States; But does it really mean "B" - line north and out to sea?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
second helping [Re: Rich B]
      #16392 - Tue Jul 20 2004 10:07 PM

hmm, lets see. rob m took care of the scenarios for 97L, so i'll just tack on that i favor the weaker-westerly solution, even though the overall movement of the system so far has been noticeably north of west. w/wnw movement for the next 2 days.. slowing. it isn't anywhere near as far along as i'd thought (movement not the speedy 25mph of yesterday), and convection is holding on. don't expect anything to kill it outright, so it should keep poking along.. maybe doing nothing and maybe finding an opportunity to develop. 1000-800 mb easterlies probably causing a good bit of low-level shear and preventing anything well defined at the surface for the time being.
more interesting look in the far east atlantic (evidence of cross-equatorial flow convergence picking up). may just be a momentary thing, but sure to help any waves organize if it persists.
NAO is good and positive right now, so the trough near the east coast will snag and split. i'm not so sure about any reinforcing shots keeping it in place, globals keep pointing to the mid-layer ridge holding pretty much in place off the east coast. the shortwave zipping by the northeast fri/sat shouldn't do more than yank out anything that is brewing off the east coast.. as always whatever is hanging underneath near the bahamas/off hatteras will be of interest. globals suggest there may be a low trying to form, and a good deal of surface convergence/upper support will remain in place even after the next shortwave passes by.
chances of development are still mild at this point. it's just watch and wait on the carib system.
HF 2206z20july

bobbi
Unregistered

IF there was a more northern circulation around 16ish... [Re: HanKFranK]
      #16394 - Tue Jul 20 2004 10:19 PM

If..there is the most basic rudementary rotation up in that region breaking off from the lower part of the wave http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-vis-loop.html

how does mr. bastardi explain how in that area just south of the shear from the big ULL could form into something but in reality would be more hostile conditions than those in the E Carib where the general part of the wave is now

Just seems to me that the area n-nw of the wave is currently

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: IF there was a more northern circulation around 16ish... [Re: bobbi]
      #16395 - Tue Jul 20 2004 10:23 PM

Bobbi...did you lose half your post?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Is there Circulation? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #16396 - Tue Jul 20 2004 10:24 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-vis-loop.html

You will have to click the zoom button 3 times.
Just off the Coast and South of Tampa.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: second helping [Re: HanKFranK]
      #16397 - Tue Jul 20 2004 11:13 PM

Agree with you HF it is a watch and wait situation with this wave.By the way here in Puerto Rico and also in the Virgin Islands we got pretty high gusts from a squall line that passed thru this afternoon.Gusts that ranged from 25-35 kts were felt in St Croix and in San Juan a gust of 34 mph was felted at the station at the international airport.My anemometer recorded data from 30-36 mph in gusts here at my house.That was the northern part of the wave that passed thru Puerto Rico and it was the first squall line from it.Tonight we can expect more but not as strong as the first line.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Edited by Cycloneye (Tue Jul 20 2004 11:14 PM)

JasonM603
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: my slightly increased forecast [Re: Steve]
      #16398 - Tue Jul 20 2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

Enjoyed the post Supercane/Rob Mann, it's a lot of common sense stuff, but you hit it all. There is a 3rd possibility. Bastardi mentioned in yesterday's Long Ranger [tm] that the classic "B-North" pattern is setting up. Often that opens up the SE Coast. However, because of a very cold surface high pressure scheduled to be in the Great Lakes, you can't discount anything to its south. He thinks there's an equal possibility that the wave can split with energy ending up off the Carolina Coast and also something in the Gulf with a front expected in the Gulf (again!) by the weekend. Wave energy (if not wave-origin stuff) could then ignite whatever is in those respective areas.

Steve

Rob and I have been discussing the possibility of the wave interacting with the front down the road. It would certainly make things more interesting in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, if the wave took that path. This is beyond the 120H period so there is still a lot of uncertainty. As you said, some energy along the northern edge of the wave axis could get drawn northward. But most of the wave's energy should continue on a westward heading.

--------------------
Independent Wx

Seasonal Forecast

bobbi
Unregistered

Re: Is there Circulation? [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #16399 - Tue Jul 20 2004 11:44 PM

a twist, you can see a twist

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: IF there was a more northern circulation around 16ish... [Re: LI Phil]
      #16400 - Tue Jul 20 2004 11:46 PM

nah... a girl of a few words right now phil

wanted to know how bastardi explains anything south of that shear zone from the ULL would develop

thats all folks

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Is there Circulation? [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #16401 - Tue Jul 20 2004 11:58 PM

Nothing there live on St. pete beach sky is now clearing after 3 days of storms and 9 inches of rain. 97L doesn't look very good tonight, thunder storms are bein gpulled up n orth east of the mid level center and trade winds are keeping it from getting forming, if it holds together and a big if, may have a TD after 75W as the trade winds die down.

JasonM603
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Models [Re: Old Sailor]
      #16402 - Wed Jul 21 2004 12:08 AM

I might add that the remaining global models that have been holding out now indictae that most of the energy associated with the wave will traverse the central and western Caribbean, possibly even the Gulf.

--------------------
Independent Wx

Seasonal Forecast

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
For Bobbi [Re: Anonymous]
      #16405 - Wed Jul 21 2004 12:54 AM

Hopefully this post won't get me banned from accuwx, but here's JBs rationale:

"The strong wave near 15 north and 65 west is heading in a body and soul type idea northwestward and will have to do battle with Hispaniola. That means that until it gets by there, there is little chance for development. The question is what becomes of it. An interesting side possibility is that energy shooting out to its west now continues westward for the Gulf and is something that can throw a spark on whatever is going on with the front in the western Gulf this weekend. That is something that will have to be watched. The other is that the other part that emerges from the battle with Hispaniola heads north-northwestward into the waiting mish mosh of events near the coastal Carolinas this weekend"

Haven't really checked any radars/sats tonight, but earlier, the idea that was thrown out that this wave will "split" with the northern section perhaps interacting with Hispaniola and the Bahamas and the southern section entraining into the GOM seems to have some merit. Will need to watch tomorrow, starting to get real ragged tonight.

Cheers,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: For Bobbi [Re: LI Phil]
      #16406 - Wed Jul 21 2004 01:05 AM

Thank you Phil. Sounds like Joe is beginning to accept the more likely scenario that it travels west and maybe that from interaction on the south side with south america it is dying out and might not be much left..well maybe

that ULL moved down deep on it today (started yesterday) and its real visible on the WATER VAPOR and slammed it to pieces.. if those pieces can rise from the dead zone of shear.. more power to them

anyways.. still worth watching, besides its become a habit

hope they dont ban u

body and soul.. nice line
bobbi

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
back at you [Re: LI Phil]
      #16407 - Wed Jul 21 2004 01:06 AM

(duplicate post removed)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Jul 21 2004 09:37 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: 97L East of Windwards Being Watched [Re: MikeC]
      #16411 - Wed Jul 21 2004 09:15 AM

ABNT20 KNHC 210907
TWOAT
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS/TPC National Hurricane Center MIAMI FL
530 AM EDT WED JUL 21 2004

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A TROPICAL WAVE OVER THE EAST-CENTRAL CARIBBEAN SEA IS MOVING
WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 20 TO 25 MPH. OVER THE PAST FEW
HOURS...THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE WAVE HAVE INCREASED JUST
TO THE SOUTH OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. ALTHOUGH THERE IS NO
EVIDENCE OF A SURFACE CIRCULATION AT THIS TIME AND UPPER-LEVEL
WINDS ARE ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE...THIS SYSTEM HAS SOME
POTENTIAL FOR TROPICAL CYCLONE DEVELOPMENT. EVEN IF DEVELOPMENT
DOES NOT OCCUR...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS ASSOCIATED WITH THE WAVE ARE
EXPECTED TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF HISPANIOLA OVER THE NEXT DAY OR SO.
THESE RAINS COULD PRODUCE FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH
THURSDAY.

FORECASTER PASCH
$$

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: 97L East of Windwards Being Watched [Re: Anonymous]
      #16412 - Wed Jul 21 2004 09:17 AM

This advisory seems to give the system a little more potential for development. The previous one said that development is not likely for another couple of days. That convective flare up is quite impressive - it just needs to stay far enough away from the mountainous terrain of the Dominican Republic.

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: 97L East of Windwards Being Watched [Re: James88]
      #16413 - Wed Jul 21 2004 09:38 AM

Looks a little better this morning, but we have said that before haven't we! Anyway, on the Dvorak loop, it looks like the circulation may be a little better, but we really won't be able to tell until the sun is up and we see the visibles.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-bd-loop.html

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
only thought, last thought for the time being [Re: h2ocean]
      #16414 - Wed Jul 21 2004 11:59 AM

Late yesterday before he found his groove again if you covered the bottom half of the wave and only looked at the top half of the wave. Really stared at it w/o the associated lower fast moving convection ...you could see there was a twist/center/something going on but it looked like it was totally running out of steam and around 8 you could barely see anything left.

System like most waves has had a few centers. In various levels of the atmosphere though never at the surface. Had a real good mid-level center a while back. If you covered the top of the wave (this is by the way a very good trick and works well when disecting waves and canes) you could see another twist that suffered greatly from friction with South America.

Wave regenerated around the point I was watching yesterday and it looked pretty dead.

Who knows. Almost had it going on a few days back..looked real good and yet NHC was right with that 5 and now think they are reticent to write it off yet as momentary development.

Like I know or any of us do but only my question would be ... is it still heading west?

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: 97L East of Windwards Being Watched again and again and again [Re: LoisCane]
      #16415 - Wed Jul 21 2004 12:10 PM

Whatever the case I think 97L is currently at its most impressive yet! As long as it maintains convection, it should have a chance. I have to admit though, a flare up this big was rather surprising. Let's just see if a LLC will form today.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: only thought, last thought for the time being [Re: LoisCane]
      #16416 - Wed Jul 21 2004 12:17 PM

Yea looks like some circulation at about 13N and 68W south of the main convection.The area to the N just cannot tell if there is a circulation with it.What does look might happen is that activity to the N might catch the area off of South America.Then maybe the circulation might pull it in.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 60411

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center