F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 245 (Idalia) , Major: 245 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 245 (Idalia) Major: 245 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
unclassified systems [Re: James88]
      #16756 - Mon Jul 26 2004 03:48 PM

May system (SubTD or SubTS)
Atlantic system (same time as Gulf low, SubTS)
96L (TD or TS)
98L (TD or TS)
so I agree it was 4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bobbi
Unregistered

okay...... [Re: Jamiewx]
      #16757 - Mon Jul 26 2004 03:48 PM

Wondering what words I can use that won't get jerked off this board here.

So.....basically the NHC teased us with possible classification or the A team came in at 6 and didn't agree with the early morning team.. or....

Yes.. it is merging, just like they said it was going to merge. One doesn't have the Dvorak rating.. okay.. I can see that one. Didn't want to send a plane in after the last "send a plane in fiasco" okay... We don't go by satellite imagery..

What exactly are the parameters?
It has to be headed towards Long Island NOT away from Long Island?

Or.. maybe has to have real staying power and be sure that it will be able to keep it going for over six hours until the next report.

I can see them not wanting to touch it this morning knowing it wans't going to be around long.. but they are the ones who started this and they don't want to finish it if you ask me.

Has an excellent signature for at least depression status as well as the Dvorak reading.

Have a lot of respect in general for the NHC but this is beginning to get a little silly and juvenile.

And, don't want to take up Bastardi's banner of how some systems don't get classified and others do and it seems like there is no real standard except for whose on first and whose on second on any given day.

As for the stars.. oh I lost mine a long time ago. Thought it was just me.. figured I annoyed someone around here a while back and I'm not allowed back in the elite no matter how many posts I post.

and no not going to even bother rereading this post .. just let Ed do whatever he wants with me and let him decide if its worth keeping.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Jul 28 2004 01:26 AM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Bashing the NHC [Re: bobbi]
      #16758 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:01 PM

OK folks, here's the deal. I'm leaving everyone's posts up. I agree with you all about NHC not classifying systems this year.

I've PMed ED to give him a hEDsup, and I have asked that as a professional met, to give the board some sort of understanding as to why NHC has not classified a single system this year.

He's probably going to take a scalpel to our posts, as you know his admonitions about direct attacks (sort of) on NHC.

If any of the other mets or people in the know want to explain why we've yet to have a classified system, I'm sure the board would love to hear it.

Lets just leave it at that for now...no more dissing the NHC until we can get an explanation. It'll make Ed's job a little easier tonight.

Thanks.

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: unclassified systems [Re: Rabbit]
      #16759 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:09 PM

hey guys, i'm not normally one to say anything against the NHC but i feel that we have had another classifiable system go unclassified, and not for the first time this year. i noticed last year there were one or two systems which had the same fate. NHC generally do a good job, and perhaps the justification for not classifying 98L is that it was only going to be short lived (i.e <18 hours) and was no immediate threat to land. well looks like the wait for Alex goes on!

by the w
y my rating went from 4 to 1 but i am not that worried

Regards

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: unclassified systems [Re: Rabbit]
      #16762 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:36 PM

I agree with rabbit and others about previous storms this year that went unclassified as a TD, but what can we all say here, our opinions and observations here have truth and merit, but the bottom line is the "experts" at the NHC make the calls on storm classifications with all the information made available to them and with their experience., that's why they get paid the "big bucks".
Anyway, here's a good visible loop of the Tropical Nor'easter or 98L or frontal storm, or what ever you want to call it.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

TG

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Bashing the NHC [Re: LI Phil]
      #16763 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:37 PM

Phil:

Think the NHC plays it safe , They are the ones that call all the shoots for USA. Anyhoow don't see much going on today.

PS, Must been my turn lost a star too. At my age only worry about what hair is left.

Dave

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Bashing the NHC [Re: Old Sailor]
      #16764 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:42 PM

Joe Lundberg from accuwx pro made an interesting obs. Since NHC failed to classify the system that killed thousands in Hispaniola, there is NO WAY they are going to classify anything less than that. That doesn't explain why they didn't classify the Hispaniola system, but it could explain why they haven't classified anything else.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Bashing the NHC [Re: Old Sailor]
      #16765 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:46 PM

Keeping my posts to a minimum so far this year...lost a couple of stars myself...no biggie,
as for 98L not being classified, don't think we can seriously criticize the NHC on that call on this system..don't think all the criteria were met before it was obvious it was merged with the trough...just my opinion EDS.

--------------------
doug

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Why we are here [Re: doug]
      #16766 - Mon Jul 26 2004 04:55 PM

The postings on this site reflect the interest in storm formations ; sometimes we win and sometimes we don't win (hate to use the 'lose' word). It is the way we gather together to interpret the situations in the tropics that I find most appealling. You all do a good job!

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: lets discard the rating system [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #16767 - Mon Jul 26 2004 05:02 PM

The board is for fun...some are more technically astute than others, but we all do this as a hobby or just for fun, except the pro. mets. EDS.

--------------------
doug

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: unclassified systems [Re: Rich B]
      #16768 - Mon Jul 26 2004 05:05 PM

It's got to be more than 1 person in on the star rating game. Someone recently was given 1 star and I changed it to 5 - might have been Rob Mann - (which if anyone rated is reading this, you probably got a counter "5" from me) and it only went up to 2. 5+1/2 = 3. I was hoping the C bros would delete the user rating system a long time ago. But they decided to let it stand. I'll go with the badge of honor thing as well.

Watched Bastardi's videos today after the last pot. Nothing major in the works for our side. He think the wave NW of Puerto Rico will get involved with the east and the ULL NE of Pueto Rico will be the one retrograding through the Gulf along with the wave about to enter the Islands. The only problem I have with that take is that the said wave/ULL combo to the EAST wouldn't be to Texas by the time my EUROPEAN and UKMET runs ended (6 days).

Oh yeah, here's the CMC's official site:

Environment Canada's Hurricane Center

CMC Model

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
That glob north of the Windwards/PR/VI [Re: doug]
      #16769 - Mon Jul 26 2004 05:07 PM

I am interested in knowing if that glob north of the islands is simply the result of afternoon heating-or not; it does have a nice circulation to it. but could a LLC develope in that environment?

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: convection east of Bahamas..... [Re: doug]
      #16770 - Mon Jul 26 2004 05:09 PM

Has anyone else noticed the area just east of the central bahamas?. For the past couple of days this area fires up some big convection, then dies down at night, but seems to keep coming back, haven't heard it being mentioned except that it's part of a trough possibly interacting with some wave energy.

TG

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

bobbi
Unregistered

looked at the loop, thanks for posting it [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #16771 - Mon Jul 26 2004 05:17 PM

Just watched a similar loop on the tropical update on TWC and....

I'm not going to be a quiet, goody two shoes little girl on this one. It looks better now than it did at 10.

Its tightly wound. Has closed circulation. Storms have wrapped all around. And, its moving en masse as in entity.
And, unless someone took stars away from the Dvorak its got a high enough rating.

So......explain to me why it couldn't have been classified as a Sub Tropical Depression (at the least) and given cords and an advisory. Come on.. I want to be explained "why" it doesn't deserve that much respect.

I doubt seriously that the NHC is taking the Haiti horror into account. Early enough into the season and they did issue a disturbance statement on possible flooding though thats sort of like calling Ricky Williams leaving the Fins a small bump on the road to the SuperBowl. But, still it did receive some attention. If it had been about to plow into lower Texas I venture to say it would have been upgraded to TD but I believe they can say they felt there wasn't enough hard data to upgrade the Haitian disturbance. Very unpopular on the boards but we aren't the ones calling the shots. We are simply posting out thoughts, putting out thoughts and hearts out on the line where others can read and agree or make fun of us. And, that I may say takes guts and shouldn't be told to watch what we say because someone may be watching. I am not trying to get a job anywhere as a professional met. I am an amateur. But, sometimes an amateur with experience can read the signs as well as professionals with their own priorities and .........looking for the right word here... predispostions to what they want to record for history's sake as a verified system.. real.. one for the books.

So.. I just want to say here.. that I respect tremendously posters here who bother with their time, energy and creativity to post their thoughts.. leave them on the table for debate and leave their chips where they may. A lot of respect. Trust me .. I have MORE respect for some people here who are as far as I know amateur/hobbiests than I do for many TV people especially a few at Ye Olde Weather Channel. Whether they have a star or a registered name. I am grateful for their presence here and I want to hear their thoughts, raw and honest and sometimes witty.

I wasn't the one that came up with the brillant idea to name Subtropicals. They could have kept them seperate.. you know Able, Baker, Charlie or they could have named them after trained seals at the Seaquarium.. but it was their plan their idea and if they have that classification available I don't see why they aren't going to use it and classify.

Life is about today, not yesterday.. get over the past and not worry over how long it will be there.

From where I sat watching that loop on the tropical update it looked to me that it was a closed, spinning system, warm core over the very warm Gulf Stream and it should be at least given classification as Sub-Tropical #1 for the Atlantic Hurricane Season of 2004.

nope.. no goodie two shoes go quietly into the night Bobbi here.. and I'm wearing heels, nice ones and that's my thoughts for what they are worth.. one star, two stars or none at all.

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
NHC [Re: bobbi]
      #16772 - Mon Jul 26 2004 05:53 PM

Ahh, the good ole' bashin the NHC when the weather is utterly boring thing again...LOL IMO the NHC has done a great job this year. Earlier this year everyone jumped on them for not classifying that blob in the gulf. If Im not mistaken, that was mainly a trough of low pressure, not just one defined Low pressure system. It became very linear as that day progressed and it never had a chance. Now almost everyone gets on them for not upgrading 98L....IMHO I wouldnt put out one advisory on a small TD thats 6 hours away from being absorbed by a cold front, and moving out to sea over cold waters. Seems like a waste of time to me. Now if it was heading towards NYC or Long Island, I guess if they wanted to play it safe they could issue and advisory for it. Maybe Im the only that feels this way cause Im lazy, I dunno. I do agree with ya'll though that the NHC can be very inconsistent with the criteria they use to upgrade a storm. Remember Grace I think it was, last year? There has been some bad calls no doubt but dont bash them, Im just as anxious as all of you to get the season underway. But if you ask me, I dont want the first storm of the season to be wasted on some dying Low Pressure system, put that name on a healthy lookin wave that deserves it. LOL Patience is the name of the game. Good Day ya'll

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The fault lies not within the stars... [Re: LI Phil]
      #16774 - Mon Jul 26 2004 06:25 PM

How does that star thing work anyway??

sc

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: The fault lies not within the stars... [Re: Anonymous]
      #16776 - Mon Jul 26 2004 07:44 PM

Basically all you do is click on the user's name and go to their profile. Once there, you can vote 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 *'s depending on how you feel about said poster.

Not sure how well these two photos will translate, but with the front developing right overhead along with some wave energy for 97l, we've been n the midst of a t-storm for about 40 minutes. There was some instantaneous thunder+lightning last time I went outside for a smoke break. That was a bit scary.

Steve

Oh well. It looks like the system no longer allows us to upload pictures with a post. Forgetabout it.

--------------------

bobbi
Unregistered

Re: The fault lies not within the stars... [Re: Steve]
      #16777 - Mon Jul 26 2004 07:57 PM

my complaint about the stars is way back when i rated a few people. I'm not the type to do something just cause it says "rate a poster" mind you but decided to and then time passed.. i guess a lot of time passed, and i got that itch again to well .. you know rate someone and it told me "you have already rated this poster"

sort of annoyed me cause i don't remember rating him and what like you only get ONE chance? What if things change, or your opinon changes or you decide to be nice and decide they don't really annoy the hell out of you and they are really developing into a real bang up poster that you love to read and "you have already rated that poster" so..

annoyed me but felt a drop annoyed when i lost all my stars but then.. well.. figure not going to let it bother me

maybe i should feel honored if am in same category as hankfrank losing stars

btw..steve you can email me those pics if you can't upload them, sunny here today, blue skies despite forecast for higher chance of showers

would love to see a nice storm about now

bobbi.. to be really consistent with my umm nature you'd think id have at least double stars

oh well
lol

ill just sit here and wait in miami for some system to retrograde over me

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: The fault lies not within the stars... [Re: bobbi]
      #16778 - Mon Jul 26 2004 08:00 PM

You might not have to wait too long. Last I checked Goes 12 Hurricane Sector IR , there was energy less than 100 miles away from you. Maybe tomorrow?

Steve

--------------------

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Re: Bashing the NHC [Re: LI Phil]
      #16779 - Mon Jul 26 2004 08:03 PM

Hey Phil,

Do you think NHC hasn't really spoke up much this year because of the all mighty $$ ?
Once NHC, steps up and says there is a TD or TS, then the money wheel starts spinning. (or spending)
The local weather picks up on it, and before you know it, they are sending planes, changing schedules etc. etc.
I was here for the Floyd mis-hap when
Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral and Orlando went code RED for a complete miss of the storm. NHC had lots of Egg on there faces. Maybe it's thoses types of situations in the past that have finally caught up with NHC, so they are playing the cautious card??

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 207 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58850

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center