F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 247 (Idalia) , Major: 247 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 247 (Idalia) Major: 247 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Joe B [Re: LI Phil]
      #19076 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

jth,

That is bizarre, but the post is gone! Maybe Mike nuked it, but I only grabbed two-three sentences from his entire post. Here's what I put up:

>>>I hold with the idea of a sub 990 mb hurricane making landfall tomorrow on the coast and now I can make it in between Apalachicola and Pensacola (Bonnie)

>>>For now, it looks to me that we have a strong category 2 and perhaps a 3 making landfall Friday, but the exact spot is tough to call. The area between Cedar Key and Apalachicola is the Gulf equal to the no mans land around Jacksonville for the Atlantic. (Charley)

Didn't nuke it but did work on some site things around that time. Trying to fix issues that pop up in high traffic. So something may have happened there. not intentional

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Joe B [Re: Rasvar]
      #19077 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:33 PM

Some interesting developments:

The TPC's 5:00 track makes Charley a dual landfalling system, the second just north of St. Helena Sound in Charleston County. Interesting development for HankFrank.

As to the "Bastardi Family" trying to make this a gulf storm, no go. He gave up on that this morning. However, the 12Z ECMWF runs are out and they have Charley off the coast of Galveston next Wed. I certainly don't agree with this scenario (especially since it appears to form him out of mid-air), but it's food for thought. Maybe some post frontal low or something....

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: here's my thoughts [Re: Unregistered User]
      #19078 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:39 PM

I think hat Bonnie could make it to Hurricane intensity, especially based on the small but persistent CDO feature. With little time for the shear to have much impact before landfall i think we will see her go in as a Category 1 hurricane with sustained winds of 75 - 80 mph.

Charley is lashing Jamaica at the moment, but the Caymans look set to bear much worse. Of course, after Cuba, it looks like Florida could get another round, but from a far more potent storm system.

However, both of these Tropical Cyclones are potentially very dangerous!

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: here's my thoughts [Re: Rich B]
      #19079 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:44 PM

Hey Rick on Boat,

Check out this new run of the 18Z models on Charley. Heh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/xtony25/03LMDL01.gif

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

PFSThunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: here's my thoughts [Re: Steve]
      #19080 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:47 PM

Bonnie

The rotation of the eye has now made an appearance on the long range radar out of New Orleans.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.klix.shtml

--------------------
Go Boilermakers

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
2 Florida storms within 24-48 hours [Re: Rasvar]
      #19081 - Wed Aug 11 2004 09:50 PM

According to one of our local forecasters, Florida has NEVER had 2 landfalling storms within 48 hours of one another.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Joe B [Re: LI Phil]
      #19084 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:10 PM

So he doesn't want to sayno to Florida west coast, but has his doubts given the lack of climatological support. I would agree. Also, the 18Z runs are even further west with Charley.

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Florida "State of Emergency" [Re: Anonymous]
      #19085 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:25 PM

I'm sure you already know.
Also Patrick Airforce base and Nasa has issued a Hurricon level 4. The are tieing down the Atlas Rockets as we speak.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Joe B [Re: Anonymous]
      #19086 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:29 PM

I do beleive Charley has gone back west again. This is going to be a long week and weekend. I don't but a Friday landfall. More like Sunday on the No Central Gulf coast.

Stormtker
Unregistered

Charley's track [Re: Steve]
      #19087 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:30 PM

Just watched Channel 9 in Orlando and the track literally goes right over my house as a Cat 2 storm sometime Friday night. One of the wx people were wishcasting it farther West.
I'd guess that 90 percent of the population in this part of the State has never experienced a hurricane and are not prepared at all.
I watched the Westward movement of Charley today but the last couple of hours it seems to have resumed the WNW to NW track and is slowing a bit which indicates both possible strenghening and a turn.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Charley's track [Re: Stormtker]
      #19088 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:33 PM

Not wishcasting at all. All of the new models are taking Charley to the Panhandle or even further west..

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Joe B [Re: Anonymous]
      #19089 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

I do beleive Charley has gone back west again. This is going to be a long week and weekend. I don't but a Friday landfall. More like Sunday on the No Central Gulf coast.

Curious, but which models are you looking at?

18Z GFDL, NOGAPS, avn as well as the superesemble trend it south of Tampa, only a few like the BAMM , clipper, and other baroclinic models trend it further west (and only a few of that) Majority still point to a west coast florida landfall right now, and GFDL especially has trended more abrupt of a recurve.

Anonymous
Unregistered

models [Re: Anonymous]
      #19090 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:44 PM

check out Steves post earlier in the thread.

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Charley's track [Re: Anonymous]
      #19091 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:45 PM

Your right about the models shifting west the last run, well some of the models, not all. But anyways, before you get to concerned and start asking tons of questions, just watch for a trend. Be prepared also. Originaly yesterday morning, the NHC's track for Charley was right up the Yuc. Channel and straight towards the Central GOM. I dont know what happened to cause such a drastic change, but I feel it could change again. And thats quite possible, so just watch and see how the models trend, should have a better idea later tonight when the NOAA Gulfstream data gets ingested into the models. So all I can say is be prepared and watch closely my friend. Also, why dont you anon posters sign up? It gets annoying trying to figure out who's who and such.

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: models [Re: Anonymous]
      #19092 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:54 PM

No offense or nothing Anon, but havent you realized that the GFDL is usually crap, as every run is different. I never use it to forecast a storm, only when I need an occasional laugh. Usually the intensity is way off, not to mention the track changes every new run. Very inconsistent IMO. I remember a few yearsago it showed a Cat 4/5 making landfall in Jacksonville, and moving parallel to I-10 all the way to Mobile I think, While maintaining its Cat 4 strength. LOL Gave me a good laugh.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: models [Re: Anonymous]
      #19093 - Wed Aug 11 2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

check out Steves post earlier in the thread.

Those are the baroclinical models, I'm not sure they are the best for trying to project a storm path. Sometimes they can indicated trends, but more often than not can be discounted.

Along with steve's hurricane alley link, you may want to check these

http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/03LMDL02.html
http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/03LMDL03.html
http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/03LMDL04.html

In other words, not quite enough for me to say there is a trend west yet. Some models weigh higher than others for me.

k___g
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Leesburg, FL
Re: models [Re: MikeC]
      #19094 - Wed Aug 11 2004 11:02 PM

We are getting ready here in Orlando...looks like it could be an interesting weekend!!!

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: models [Re: MikeC]
      #19095 - Wed Aug 11 2004 11:05 PM

Anybody decides me think Bonnie is moving more to the NE then she was earlier? I was surprised to see her move so far west today. She almost seemed to jump over the 90 degree line. Im still gonna go with what I've been saying Landfall between Pensacola and PCB. More specifically probably between PCB and Destin. Now Im gonna go watch loops all night, looking for possible jogs to the N! LOL

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
a BIG Thanks to Mike C. [Re: MikeC]
      #19096 - Wed Aug 11 2004 11:06 PM

I just wanted to take a moment to not only thank the bros. Cornelius for making this forum available to us, but also to Mike, who, through his sheer computer genius, has found a way to filter out dozens of anon posters who were on the board not for hurricane knowledge, but through the wiles of some search-bot type of thingy. You may have noticed how much quicker everything loads now. Mike, you da man.

As far as anon's IDing themselves...probably not gonna happen unless Mike turns the boards to registered user posting only, and he doesn't like to do that.

So, to all you anon's out there, you can still post anonymously, but at least come up with some kind of handle so as to differentiate yourselves. Mods can see your IP address, but no one else can, so it gets very confusing for the members...and as things start to get crazy, anon's who start making chuck & duck posts will have them removed pronto.

You guys have been excellent today! Keep up the great posting.

And thanks again, Mike, for keeping everything running smoothly!!!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Neat Software App... [Re: LI Phil]
      #19097 - Wed Aug 11 2004 11:10 PM

For those of you who are constantly hitting the GHCC site for updated loops, you might want to try this piece of software.

GHCCSat

This Windows app grabs whatever you want from the GHCC servers automatically on a timed schedule...you can set up multiple loops or whatever you want...and it is free.

It has been really handy in the office today...

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 95365

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center