F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Bonnie [Re: LI Phil]
      #19206 - Thu Aug 12 2004 03:41 AM

Large bow echo racing SE across SW LA. Will this give Bonnie a shove to the east?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re: New Advisories are Up [Re: danielw]
      #19207 - Thu Aug 12 2004 03:42 AM

Just spent well over an hour reading all the great posts since I left for work late this morning. Great job to all and esp. Mike, Ed, LI Phil, HankFrank, and anyone I missed for keeping the site up and running.

Those who keep late hours here know I'll be up till 3ish, so this post will be quickly thought out....

I'll give Bonnie one more shot at Cat1. It's going to be close, but gut feeling is just short. I should feel some effects from her tomorrow night, if she doesn't kick off some storms ahead of her arrival (which I think she will). Bonnie riding along a front should have a tail to the S/SE and I would fall well within it unless she just dies a overland, dry death. Just the warm-up act for us in Jax.

IF Charley follows the path from the NHC, and I think there as close as they can get at this point, Friday night/ Sat. morning will be kind of a rush. He would exit just ( I live in southern Duval) south of me, and I mean the margin of error is just so tiny. I could have a full-blown TS over my rear end trying to get home from work. Don't get me wrong, please do everything you need to do to be safe, I know I am. But in our(my) strange little way, this is why some (most?) of us track these storms, because we want to feel the effect of mother nature when she takes over for a bit. I'm one who doesn't avoid these things unless they are going to be a clear-cut stupid place to be.

I hope everyone on the SW FL coast through Orlando and up the east coast just does the right thing; listen to your local met office and heed any warnings or evac calls. But at the same time, try to soak in the moment, your part of history in a way. Then we all can come back on Monday or beyond and say "when I went through Charley in 04........"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bugs/Rabbit [Re: LI Phil]
      #19208 - Thu Aug 12 2004 03:45 AM

LI PHIL I TOOK A LOOK AT THE W/V LOOP THE HOLE GULF IS GOING WEST TO EAST NOW I CANT SEE HIM GETTING MUCH NORTH OF THE KEYS THEN TURNIG EAST IF SO HE WONT BE STRONG THE WINDS NOW ARE TO STRONG FROM THE WEST COULD BE A EAST COAST FL STORM .WHAT DO YOU THINK THATS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME THANKS GUYS GOOD LUCK.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Charley & Rain [Re: LI Phil]
      #19209 - Thu Aug 12 2004 03:48 AM

My husband and I were watching TWC at 9:00pm and Jim Cantore is in Sanibel Island. One of the anchors asked Dr. Lyons which storm he was more concerned with (duh) and he said, "Oh, absolutely, Charley. Besides the wind and surge, we could see up to and over 10" of rain with this system."

That's going to be a problem, because most of the coastal rivers/canals are already at or near flood level.

Also, our local met mentioned Anna Maria Island being a target as of tonight's 11pm path. We are one hour northeast of Anna Maria Island. Wouldn't that mean that we would be on the right side quadrant of the storm? Isn't that usually the worst part to be in?

Oh yeah...the met mentioned that the Gulf IV will be heading back out to the storm at about 1:30am to get more readings.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

met

Reged:
Re: Bugs/Rabbit [Re: Anonymous]
      #19210 - Thu Aug 12 2004 03:53 AM

im afraid this hurricane will rapidly intensifie this morning and on thursday. he is getting better organized at this time. could be cat 3 during thursday.night.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Charley and WV loop [Re: met]
      #19211 - Thu Aug 12 2004 03:59 AM

Any thoughts on the low that appears to be developing in between Charley and Bonnie. WV sure is crowded tonight.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconuswv.html

met

Reged:
Re: Charley & Rain [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19212 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:04 AM

colleen yu afraid to that charlie is about to deepen soon.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Charley & Rain [Re: met]
      #19213 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:18 AM

I'm a little more alarmed that Charley's center of circulation was SSE of Jamaica and did not go directly over it, because that gives it more time over water and moves it closer to the westernmost tip of Cuba instead of the middle. Unless, of course, it decides to make that turn to the NW in the next 12 hours. The Cayman Islands are the next bullseye for Charley.

I just really don't know what to think, except that the NHC has done an excellent job with both storms.

Oh yeah..Jeff Morrow from TWC is now in Tampa Bay.

Note: I meant SSW of Jamaica, not SSE.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Edited by Colleen A. (Thu Aug 12 2004 05:14 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Charley & Rain [Re: met]
      #19214 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:18 AM

There appears to be more of a northern component to Charley. The storm is even looks more polar. Think the NHC is on track with this storm.. Watch out it appears to be deepening.. --- Lake Toho - Kissimmee Fl

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Charley and WV loop [Re: danielw]
      #19215 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:22 AM

Daniel...when I looked at those wv loops on Bonnie, it almost appears that she is heading on a more E/NE track rather than NE. Have you or anyone else noticed that or are my eyes just really tired?

--------------------

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: New Advisories are Up [Re: joepub1]
      #19216 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:25 AM

agree that bonnie has one more shot but i think its gonna be a blank.. shes not gonna fall apart but i doubt if she makes it to a cat 1. jason said earlier its still firing up storms and it is over the warmer water now but it still looks ragged. like was talked about earlier with all the rain already we will have some trees over powerlines but i will bonnie over Charley anytime.. hopefully this will get ours outta of the way.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Charley and WV loop [Re: danielw]
      #19217 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:27 AM

if there is a low to its north and dont think there is as much as a weakness because the high is collapsing... it would only enhance Charley's northward/poleward movement earlier

will see

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Bonnie and WV loop [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19218 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:28 AM

Yes I saw a trend toward the ENE. It's visible on the LIX, MOB and EVX radars. That's New Orleans, Mobile and NW FL radars respectively. You have to use long range, and the loop works best.
Bonnie also showing a jog on IR loops.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p38cr/si.kevx.shtml

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Charley & Rain [Re: Anonymous]
      #19219 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:29 AM

I thought the same thing until they pointed out where the LLCC is. It is not in the big blob that just pounded Jamaica it is actually to the SSW of Jamaica making it''s way towards the Cayman Islands. So, I still think it's on a W/NW course but I'm no expert so don't take my word for it.

--------------------

met

Reged:
Re: Charley & Rain [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19220 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:30 AM

yes NHC has done a great job. but they have warned that this hurricane could be stronger than they are forecasting.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Charley and WV loop [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19221 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:30 AM

it has zigged and zagged alittle earlier. but overall has been ne..it maybe zagging a little now. t

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Charley and WV loop [Re: LoisCane]
      #19222 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:33 AM

Thanks Lois, that was what I was seeing. I'm not real good at the loops when they fill up, like they are now.
GOM is full of motion. Front in TX, Bonnie's wake turbulence, Bonnie's outflow,the mid/upper-level low near the Yucatan Channel, and then bringing up the rear. Charley!

BTW: *not an ad!-WX Chan. is running some nice video shot Tuesday flying in Bonnie. Warren Madden was the flight met.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re:Rain prior to landfall [Re: danielw]
      #19223 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:35 AM

In Miami for instance...if we have heavy rain before a hurricane or a wet one and the ground becomes saturated we lose our big beautiful ficus trees. Their roots go out shallow along the ground in a spider like pattern vs a tree whose roots go deep. So....when the ground is that wet the trees slide over with their roots high up in the air looking like some grotesque horror scene out of a movie. And, then in a few days they rot in the hot tropical sunshine their wet leaves decaying and turning moldy and then baking in the sun. Really. Very sad...they take a massive chunk out of the ground and sometimes the sidewalk sits askew up into the air ripped away with the root system.

Did that answer your question?

Chris is so cute with that so proper "best regards" signature, such a little boyscout.. a sweet man. Always gets back to letters so timely.

Hope you this helped.
Bobbi

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Charley [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19224 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:35 AM

Well, tomorrow should start to tell the tale with Charley.
It looks like the storm is trying to make the turn toward the NW now.
Lots of preparation being done throughout Florida. Home Depot stayed open later in my area near Orlando tonight.

Bonnie looks like it may come ashore a little more East than previously thought. I don't think Bonnie is much of a storm other than rain.

Thursday should be an intersting day.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: FL and the storms [Re: danielw]
      #19225 - Thu Aug 12 2004 04:36 AM

Anyone know how much of the FL coastline is under a watch or warning now?
It's bound to be nearly as much as it was during Andrew '92.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 95324

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center