F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Vortex message [Re: Rasvar]
      #19141 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:16 AM

1mb drop but the winds have come down to 60Kt=69MPH

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Vortex message [Re: LI Phil]
      #19144 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:20 AM

Sorry about the message. I posted more becuase I saw a difference between the advisory and the vortex message. Was just wanting to make sure my math was right on the position.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Florida "State of Emergency" [Re: Unregistered User]
      #19145 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:22 AM

There are Atlas rockets at KSC. All you have to do is look it up on Google. If they're strapping it down, then they know as much as the NHC does.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Vortex message [Re: LI Phil]
      #19146 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:25 AM

thanks phil. i got a cheat sheet too but it is a pain to follow. be great to get the guts of the report and let "you experts" disect the rest of it.. thats twice you been called a expert now

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re:Bonnie Update [Re: danielw]
      #19147 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:32 AM

Okay Lois was right, and I'll take my crow roasted.
Supp Vortex came in and they found some 33kt winds in Bonnie.
It ain't over til it's over.
MF264 M0883 MF033- 26.4N 88.3W 33kts
OBS 01 AT 0039Z
OBS 07 AT 0104Z
OBS 07 SFC WND /////
RMK AF963 0902A BONNIE OB 06
*this is not a new fix, just the location of the highest wind found on this flight leg.**

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: models [Re: MikeC]
      #19148 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:36 AM

With regard to the models.. The 18Z is 4 hours ago and I am sure they would have been used in the 5 PM forecast. While we do not always agree with the NHC or NPC, models are only a few of the tools that they use, not all of them. If it were just models they used to forecast the track, we all could have their jobs.. Do not want to get off topic, nor do I want to offend anyone.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Orlando Local Wx [Re: Rasvar]
      #19149 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A local station in Orlando is showing a different projected path than the NHC. They are showing it skirting St Pete to the West, and landfall in the Big Bend. I've never noticed a station do this, and I'm wondering how common this is.

Sounds like the track that is up on Accuweathers site. Are they an Accuweather station?

I'm not sure, but I just checked the Accuweather site, and it is the same graphic. That would be why the local met mumbled something about the official track being farther east. I can buy Accuweather's track a little better, but I think it sends confusing messages to a confused enough public. Accuweather had better be awfully confident about their track.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re:Charley Max forecast [Re: danielw]
      #19151 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:38 AM

The 1200Z-latest available only has Charley going to 84kts. This is about 96.6 mph - a minimal CAT2. On the Friday the 13th at 1200Z-5amEDT.
Lats are between 20.5 and 22.3
Longs are between 84.4 and 85.3
They should update this in a few hours.
*Please use the official NHC forecast for forecast location and wind sppeds.**

Edited by danielw (Thu Aug 12 2004 01:41 AM)

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
Re:Bonnie Update [Re: danielw]
      #19152 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:41 AM

In the latest vortex. It has 1008mb pres. and max fl wind of 25knts. 12/0029z or 8/11 9:29 pm EDT

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re:Bonnie Update [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19153 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:44 AM

Bonnie might not make Hurricane strength. If it didn't it would be the first time in 5 storms. (ever since 1980 when it was first used it has reached hurricane strength)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #19154 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:47 AM

The latest vortex was correct, at the time they had not finished the leg of flight they were on. They found a 33kt wind at the above location. Doesn't change anything, at this time to the fix, just the max flight level wind. Thanks, I guess I should have given a note on that post.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #19155 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:47 AM

What influence is Bonnie going to have over Charley assuming he doesn't make a sharp left at the Yucatan Like so many of the Canes do that appear to be heading to Tampa Bay. Whose pressure has to be the greatest to influence the other. Bonnie with high pressure, or Charley with low pressure? This is interesting to me because of some of the newest drawings out, speculating that at some point the storms will actually have crossing path like contrails from jet airplaines

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

met

Reged:
Re: Florida "State of Emergency" [Re: Unregistered User]
      #19156 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:51 AM

anons are wishcasting. explain how it wiil avoid digging trof,

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
      #19157 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:53 AM

its getting stronger no its falling apart no wait there is flair up again... haven't we discussed this before. bonnie is not gonna be predictable on strenghth it looks like. the NHC has had a pretty good handle on it track though. she may die down a little but i think she has one more kick to her. she is gonna go over that pool of warm water before landfall and that will give her one last chance to get it going. i think how much she gets it going will depend on her speed. the slower going the greater the chance. the good news for us pc people is the slower she goes the more east she will move. btw no wind and no rain just hot and muggy here

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Models are clustered tight on Charley [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #19158 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:54 AM

http://files.hurricanealley.net/storms/03LALLMDL.html

Impressive collection of model runs from hurricane alley.....

John C
Unregistered

Site Tip [Re: andy1tom]
      #19159 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:56 AM

Note to Anonymous Users:

Registration only requires a valid E-mail address we ask of nothing else. Your E-Mail address will be kept confidential with CFHC unless YOU allow it out. Reason for email is so you can be sent your password automated after you register and also for security reasons.

Main Benefit of registering is that this system will keep track of the messages/posts you have read so you do not have to scroll through them all to find out where you have left off. You can jump to new posts since last read.

Thanks and please take time to register it will only make your visits to CFHC more enjoyable.

Sorry for being off topic but I see a lot of Anonymous users browsing the forums.

John Cornelius
CFHC

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re:Bonnie Update [Re: andy1tom]
      #19160 - Thu Aug 12 2004 01:59 AM

I would say the same thing but a 42mph fluctuation. Is pretty big. But there is still the warm water. or not

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Site Tip [Re: ]
      #19161 - Thu Aug 12 2004 02:02 AM

Thanks for the post John C.

Maybe it would help if the anon's don't ID themselves, then their posts don't stay on the boards?

Seriously, though...there are two potentially deadly storms a-brewing. Everyone is welcome to post here (so far), but at the very least, anon's ID yourselves. John's right about the regging...all they ask is for an email address. Trust me, you're not going to be tracked or spammed or anything else. And, there are actually many benefits to being a registered member...

Think about it before I start whacking anon posts .

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

wxwatcher3
Unregistered

Re: Florida "State of Emergency" [Re: met]
      #19162 - Thu Aug 12 2004 02:03 AM

I watched channel six weather as well as channel 2 and 9 locally in Orlando at 6pm. Channel 9 (( I think) does the best job of acurately describing the storm and it's path as defined by the NHC.
I agree that the channel six weather dept is doing the public a disservice if they only use their station to base the info on. Of course, as the storm gets closer, I'm sure they would modify their track. I know that there are various opinions on tracks and forecasts but when you are a major media outlet, I think it prudent to err on the conservative side. I'd rather think it's coming over my house and then miss me by 100 miles than not be prepared.
As a matter of fact, the NHC track does have the storm directly overhead at my location Friday night.
I kind of hope the Western tack is correct but am not counting on it.
Thanks everyone for your posts. Lets keep a close watch on Charley

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: models [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19163 - Thu Aug 12 2004 02:04 AM

I have always been one to pay close attention to the water vapor loops, but I had never seen the unisys versions, much easier to see things than with the others. I too think that Charley has/will start a turn more to the north, and the wv shows that. I also think that in the last few ir frames Charley is elongating more SE/NW, but it is too early to tell. Maybe in the next 6-8 hours we will know for sure. But all of us in South Florida are watching intently, and our local news stations are making sure we are on the edge of panic.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 95324

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center