F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Floridacane
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: cat 3 Charley [Re: richg]
      #19393 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:08 PM

Rich,
I'm in Palm Bay and as of yet schools are not closed. They said to watch the news tonight and they will post it there.
From the local6.com website....

Charley Moves Closer, Central Florida Closes Schools
UPDATED: Tropical Storm Bonnie comes on shore near Apalachicola as Hurricane Charley forces officals to cancel classes Friday in Orange, Lake, Polk, Osceola and Seminole counties.

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: Unregistered User]
      #19394 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:09 PM

Could the tightening and developing into a major hurricane itself. cause Charley to inhibit it's forward motion?

As the storm tightens, it develops it's own high pressure ridge at some point, and in my mind, it becomes powerful enough to somewhat ignore steering currents. After all, this storm has power in and of itself.

Just throwing stuff out there to talk about gang. I am no expert...just reading my posts is proof of that..

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
NASTY RAIN IN KISSIMMEE and VERY WINDY.. [Re: LI Phil]
      #19395 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:10 PM

Its downpouring and very very very windy right now. in Kissimmee

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: cat 3 Charley [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19396 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:10 PM

Your local government officials must deal with the what is now factor as well. Wishing or hoping will not save lives. Action based on sound information does.
There are a lot of folks to move out of harms way in a short period of time. Nursing homes, mobile homes, trailers, low lying flood prone houses. YOu name it. I'm glad to see the plans being put into force as we speak.

If it does come in at Tampa Bay, we'll see why it's calle a bay, with all the flooding.
I don't see the storm going West at all. Not with the set up the way it is.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Everybody be safe & behave [Re: LI Phil]
      #19397 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:10 PM

I'm leaving for a while, too. I need a nap.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: rickonboat]
      #19398 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:11 PM

Larger and powerful hurricanes create their own 'environment' and that can throw off all the models (if not most).

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

GaryC
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #19399 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:19 PM

I dont think this qualifies as a larger or more powerful hurricane just yet. NCH has been right on so far. I will go with the projections for now.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #19400 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:19 PM

Yes, but keep in mind that the models are not the only thing forecasters base their tracks on. There is a lot more to it than that.

The weather we're getting now is from Bonnie. It is windy, hot, humid and now it's thundering outside.

Just a thought for everyone: when was the last time the NHC really missed their forecasted track?

One thing's for sure: we'll know one way or another on Saturday who got hit and who didn't.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

SOUTHFLHAPPY GAL
Unregistered

#19401 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:20 PM

Great posts guys! What are the chances of being hit in broward or palm beach counties?? I'm just an amatuer
thanks

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
      #19402 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:20 PM

Yes they can. And we can't predict how that unique environment will react to change.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: GaryC]
      #19403 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:21 PM

I say the jury is out on its strength, speed, and destination until Charley clears Cuba.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #19404 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:23 PM

Exactly

SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL
Unregistered

#19405 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:23 PM

WHAT TIME IS IT PASSING CUBA?

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
94L invest in east atlantic [Re: SOUTHFLHAPPY GAL]
      #19406 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:25 PM

http://tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

While the attention is rightly on Charley I can say that Danielle may be not too far from forming judging from those pics at NRL.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19407 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:25 PM

but like Wxwatcher2 action based on info. You cant wait until the hurricane is oon top of you to evac

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: 94L invest in east atlantic [Re: Cycloneye]
      #19408 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:26 PM

It even looks like its spining already. Wow

bobbi
Unregistered

same in miami [Re: Colleen A.]
      #19409 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:26 PM

Very dry but very very windy. I could be wrong but I think the winds are already higher and steady. And, Bonnie came in I believe on the right side of the track forecast. A lot going on and am waiting to see where he crosses.

When a system crosses east of Isle of Pine/Youth/whatever Castro wants to call it.. they have a tendency to affect south florida more. Talking historically. When they come in to the west they tend to go into the gulf or west coast storms. Always been my observation and sharing it.

Keep up the great posts. Bobbi

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19411 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:32 PM

Charley is very close to the GFDL 6Z run positions at its last two postings and on the apparent future track, which is still largly NW, should exit Cuba over the narrowest portion of the Island. Satelite pics which show the air currents from that point on the island northward seem to continue the assumption of a land fall just south of Tampa in the Sarasota County area. This has been pretty much the same scenario over the past 6 hours. The major change has been the strengthening of the storm which is occurring, but that was part of the guidance the NHC used at the 11 am discussion and statements issued then. Nothing happening now should deter us from the NHC's positions on this storm at this time.

--------------------
doug

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: doug]
      #19412 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:42 PM

Not like I want to post this, but the 1704Z (1:04pm E) recon report on Charley is showing max winds of 105kts (120mph). That's a lot, folks. 981mb and dropping, 20'14N, 81'25W, so it's crossed over 20N. I haven't run the numbers to see the direction it's been running and speed (will do when I find the prior recon data), but man oh man..this one's building quickly....

Londovir

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: doug]
      #19413 - Thu Aug 12 2004 05:42 PM

we'll just have to wait and see.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 64366

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center