F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
Re: Dvorak's [Re: LI Phil]
      #19457 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:15 PM

Your Welcome LI Phil,

I just got there to and they are clearer. I'm just wait for the 1815z floater update. To see how hat band/ boudary is reacting to Bonnie's tail .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Staying south of Tampa [Re: FlaRebel]
      #19458 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:19 PM

WOW....
Sure looks to be a Tampa Bay disaster doesn't it... this could be really bad... 18Z model runs are clusted pretty tight too... Need to start hoping that is starts sucking in some dry air from the strong trough pushing though the GOM... but I'm not very confident of that scenario.... LBAR or A98E does not paint a pretty picture for TB does it? Also looks to be heading east of the Isle of "Yutes" and then passing over a narrow section of Cuba after... more bad news....
"any good news out there?"

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Staying south of Tampa [Re: doug]
      #19459 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:20 PM

I agree Im in Parrish too!

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
Re: no more talk of "left of forecasted track" is there? [Re: andy1tom]
      #19461 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:21 PM

Any East-Coasters planning on boarding/shuttering the windows. I live on Merritt Island (near Cocoa Beach) and figure it should be far enough west that I shouldn't need the panels, unless the path changes. Problem is, have to work tomorrow, so that wouldn't give much time...(20+ windows to cover)!

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Staying south of Tampa [Re: Frank P]
      #19462 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:22 PM

Last few frames show a wobble to the NORTH, we'll see if the trend continues., get ready KEY WEST.

TG

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Hillsborough County Evacuations... [Re: hurricane_run]
      #19463 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:22 PM

They just issued the mandatory A, B, and C evacuation order for Hillsborough County effective at 6am tomorrow morning. For those of us down here, that's daunting. It's basically the entire bay coast all the way up to Interstate 75. That's amazing, utterly amazing.

They also said that 1985 Helena was the last time they evac'd as many people, although Tampa wasn't that big then. They've already shuffled nearly all airplanes out of MacDill AFB.

Amazing.

Londovir

tsunami06
Unregistered

Re: no more talk of "left of forecasted track" is there? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #19464 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

not going to scream I storm from years back

We in south Florida do remember Irene, the storm that was predicted to go up the west coast but instead sliced right through Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

Watching this storm carefully, as storms in the Florida Straits can be unpredictable (Irene turned northeast more quickly, Georgies turned more west, Lili went eastward suddenly).

Carlos

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
Re: Plywood clips for brick building [Re: Hurric]
      #19465 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:25 PM

Tornado warning was cancelled when it moved over the ocean. The whole state is very volatile now weather changing rapidly today. checkout this radar radar

Edited by Hurric (Thu Aug 12 2004 07:26 PM)

bobbi
Unregistered

NNW-i agree [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #19466 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:25 PM

sat here with this loop and paper doing degrees..can see eye enough to really follow current direction.. with eye visible cant say much and as i said.. much of the weather is leaning out towards nne which to me shows future orientation and direction

for last hour or more...been really NNW, hard to play pretend and say NW

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re: no more talk of "left of forecasted track" is there? [Re: h2ocean]
      #19468 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:29 PM

Weather update from Jax: We have had 9(nine!) straight minutes of thunder coming from the west. Bonnie seems to have set act 1 into motion. 10 minutes now. It sounds like a train coming right at us, the noise just doesn't take a break at all. May have too scoot offline for a little while to protect the electronics.

Those models keep putting me in the N/NE/E quads. Wish they wouldn't do that.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: no more talk of "left of forecasted track" is there? [Re: joepub1]
      #19469 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:34 PM

Any updated models out there?

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

bobbi
Unregistered

radar... flow changing to ssw/nne in straits now [Re: joepub1]
      #19470 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:37 PM

looks like a front coming thru in south florida

bill kamal was really excellent this morning in a long interview with rappaport

gyst was a lot of questions as to how todays set up is oddly more like an early october set up not early august

he kept rephrasing questions as to whether models are able to adjust for that.. rappaports answers were that they take into consideration the current enviroment of THIS storm but .. he kept asking

commenting that with a front to the north deepening fast in october would pick a storm up from sw to ne or ssw to nne yet this is not what has been shown from current models

maybe timing off or didnt predict intensity (again, as you know who round here always says "intensity forecasting is a crap shoot")

anyone here with a good background in how much time of year gets worked into models..

help, look at radar
looks like a front about to pass with flow turning ssw/nne

comments appreciated

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: rickonboat]
      #19472 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:39 PM

IF Charley becomes a 'major', he will start creating his own weather and may not respond to troughs and minor fronts. IHMO, all bets as to track are off IF he is cat III near or just north of Cuba. As much as I hope the TPC is dead on target, I also know that major storms don't always play by our 'rules', they make up the game as they wish. I would suspect being a major while south of the keys would perhaps favor an eastward track. Opinions anyone?

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: radar... flow changing to ssw/nne in straits now [Re: bobbi]
      #19475 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:43 PM

Sounds like Kamal was wishcasting.. LOL.. I remember living in Miami during Georges, the storm had gone west, and he kept saying it was on it's way.. So look out both him and Brian Norcross love to hype up a storm. Those two are always competing to see who will be the next weather god of Miami..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: Anonymous]
      #19477 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:46 PM

OK.. In order for a hurricane to "make their own environment" it would need to be like a CAT 5. A hurricane can adjust the environment around them somewhat, but no hurricane can make their own environment. Thats an old wives tale..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

lizardman
Unregistered

Re: radar... flow changing to ssw/nne in straits now [Re: bobbi]
      #19478 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:46 PM

Eyewall now in full view of Key West/EYW long radar. Looks like ever so slightly W of due N in loop.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
NNW to me [Re: Anonymous]
      #19479 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:47 PM

Vis NRL loops, at least the last hour or so, appears to have Charley moving NNW, if not, it sure is pronounced bobbles to the NNW... at it's present heading, it should pass east of the Isle of Yutes..... and west of Havana, who should take a pretty good pounding in the process

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: NNW-i agree [Re: bobbi]
      #19480 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:49 PM

Would anyone really be surprised if Charley crossed Cuba, took a slight hook east, passed over or near Key West, and hit Everglades City, or Cape Sable near Flamingo? Somehow, even though all the models predict this and that, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I remember Irene too well. Everyone was *so sure* she was hitting Tampa. People don't seem to realize, with a storm approaching Florida from the south, it may appear to be heading to Sarasota, but the slightest nudge can send it into Cape Sable.

Not making a forecast, but at the same time, I'm not writing it off here in SE FL. I don't see how anyone could say how anyone could say for sure exactly where in FL it will hit.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: cat 3 Charley-WV Loop [Re: Anonymous]
      #19481 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

IF Charley becomes a 'major', he will start creating his own weather and may not respond to troughs and minor fronts. IHMO, all bets as to track are off IF he is cat III near or just north of Cuba. As much as I hope the TPC is dead on target, I also know that major storms don't always play by our 'rules', they make up the game as they wish. I would suspect being a major while south of the keys would perhaps favor an eastward track. Opinions anyone?

Heh. Heh.

I posted this last September during Isabel:

I think the most interesting thought the past 12+ hours is the realization (recognition) that these monsters can actually "make their own weather". Isabel is NOT playing on any terms but her own. Although, NHC's prediction that the long hoped for northward/northeastward jog is seeming to happen...finally. All I can say is I hope NO ONE feels the true brunt of this (Isabel's) fury. I hate to say (predict?) this, but I think this name, Isabel, may not be recycled in the next six year cycle.

Are you my long lost brother?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

joepub1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville,Fla
Re: NNW-i agree [Re: Anonymous]
      #19483 - Thu Aug 12 2004 07:53 PM

Would anyone really be surprised if Charley crossed Cuba, took a slight hook east, passed over or near Key West, and hit Everglades City, or Cape Sable near Flamingo?

Yes!! I would!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 64365

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center