F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Cape Verde season will see a couple of systems
      #2030 - Sat Aug 17 2002 01:42 PM

What I find interesting about the setup this year is if the high had been just a little weaker, we would all have been exposed early in the season. I don't know what the future holds, but you know I'm watching.

H/F, I don't have an answer. I don't know what I think about the wave off the keys/straits. If things go like they have been, and if the Bermuda High noses our way, it's probably more rain for TX/Mex. I haven't looked at it today yet, but today and tomorrow will be the tell tale days as to whether or not something can form early-mid week. With the flow, I was initially thinking it would cruise across the Gulf in 2-3 days. But I haven't looked at the 200MB or shear projections for early week.

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

CV
      #2032 - Sat Aug 17 2002 03:37 PM

usually get an icebreaker wave in mid or late august down in the cape verde that will develop.. followed by a couple of chains of development into september before that part of the basin switches off again. i'm just wondering when one of these waves will be energetic enough to start something. it isnt like the waves are plodding though a hostile atlantic and developing once they cross into the pacific.. theyre just all around weak. nothing's happening over there either just lately.
right now about the only possibles would be the shallow low in the central atlantic and the former gulf energy that has moved off the mid atlantic, arthur style. chances looking slim.
when's that negative MJO going to show up?
HF 1537z17august

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
I was going to ask that question about the MJO
      #2033 - Sat Aug 17 2002 03:57 PM

How is the phase right now I would want to know because i have heard so much of it but no real effects so far in the atlantic basin.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I was going to ask that question about the MJO
      #2034 - Sat Aug 17 2002 04:28 PM

Hopefully Tropical Weather Watcher/FalconLA will show up and give us an update. I haven't checked on the MJO since June and don't even have any links readily available.

STeve

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

speaking of CV
      #2035 - Sat Aug 17 2002 08:05 PM

that wave looks to have a broad low on it.. the one near 30W right by the cape verdes. see if that can keep latitude and definition.. things like to happen right around august 20th out there.
if anybody here knows where to find the analysis of MJO, or information on how they index it.. i'd like to know too. unless it doesnt work in some patterns it would do good to tell us when to expect our next active stretch.
HF 2006z17august

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: speaking of CV
      #2038 - Sat Aug 17 2002 08:40 PM

I just sent Jason Moreland a request via e-mail to show up and put something down. He does a lot of personal research on MJO. I couldn't find a specific link at tropicalweatherwatchers.com so I e-mailed him. I also didn't see his number in the local phone book, so hey, give it a day or so and hopefully he'll show up with some info.

Steve

Jason M
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans
MJO Update Coming Soon!!!
      #2039 - Sat Aug 17 2002 09:49 PM

I will be posting an MJO update within th enext few hours (Maybe sooner). I will also include my last two discussions so that you can compare the forecast to what has happened so far this season! Expect a very LONG post!!!

--------------------
http://www.independentwx.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Europe Floods, Tropics Quiet
      #2040 - Sat Aug 17 2002 10:27 PM

dolly dolly where be my dolly maybe next year

Jason M
Weather Watcher

Reged:
MJO Forecast and Analysis
      #2042 - Sat Aug 17 2002 11:35 PM

HURRICANE WORKS/TROPICAL WEATHER WATCHERS UPDATED DISCUSSION

Supercane and I have been continuing to do research on the subject and we have decided to post another discussion....

Before I begin, I will post the previous two timing of hurricane season posts. That way, you can compare our orginal forecasts to what has occured so far this season. The updated discussion will be available under the first two discussions.

MJO Discussion #1

TropicalWxWatcher, I, and a few others have been doing some research on how the MJO will come
into play this hurricane season. In this topic, I will discuss the current status of the MJO,
then the prediction of it throughout the season and how it will affect the number of tropical
cyclones all year (in the Atlantic basin).

Since June 15, we have been in a dry MJO phase. This MJO is moving rather fast, and its center is
already in the eastern Caribbean Sea. If time is right, this dry MJO should exit the Atlantic
basin during the first 10 days of July. From now to early July, we should see no tropical cyclone
formation occur, except for maybe 1 TS.

After that, a wet phase MJO should come into the Atlantic, around mid July. This wet MJO should
last until mid August. During this time, we should see several named storms, but not much in the way of hurricane decelopment. In other words, we should see a nice outbreak of tropical
cyclone activity during this time (mid July to mid August).

Then, another dry MJO should come into play. This dry MJO will probably last from mid August to
early September. During this time, we will probably see a lull in tropical cyclone activity. If
the timing of the MJO is right, we should see a few named storms, maybe a hurricane, but no major
hurricanes (mid August to early September).

After this dry MJO exits, a wet phase MJO will again enter the Atlantic basin around mid
September. This MJO will probably last from mid September to mid October. During this time, we
should see a large outbreak. Assuming there is a wet phase MJO during this time, I except we'll
see numerous named storms, several hurricanes, and around two major hurricanes (mid September to
mid October).

Afterwards, another dry MJO will come into the Atlantic. This will probably last from mid October
to November. During this point we should see almost no tropical cyclone activity, except maybe a
named storm or two. By the time this MJO exits, the hurricane season will be almost over, and a
weak El Nino may be forming.

SUMMARY/CONCLUSION: [/I]

Jun 01 -- Jul 05: Significantly CALM
Jul 10 -- Aug 10: Moderately ACTIVE
Aug 15 -- Sep 15: Moderately CALM
Sep 20 -- Oct 20: Significantly ACTIVE
Oct 25 -- Nov 30: Significantly CALM

If the MJO assumption is right, expect most of this years activity to occur in late September with a moderate burst of moderate activity in late July. But this could be very far off, since the timing of the MJO varies.

[B]MJO Discussion #2

This is an update on the Madden Julian Oscillation and a comparison to the active 1995 hurricane season. The original forecast was first posted a week ago. Supercane also took part in the forecast.

Before I begin, just take a look at some data containing information about the 1995 Atlantic hurricane season...

# Name Dates
Hurricane ALLISON 03-06 JUN

Tropical Storm BARRY 06-09 JUL

Tropical Storm CHANTAL 13-20 JUL

Tropical Storm DEAN 28-31 JUL

Hurricane ERIN 31 JUL-03 AUG

Tropical Depression #6 05-07 AUG

Hurricane FELIX 08-17 AUG

Tropical Storm GABRIELLE 09-12 AUG

Hurricane HUMBERTO 22 AUG-01 SEP

Hurricane IRIS 22 AUG-04 SEP

Tropical Storm JERRY 22-25 AUG

Tropical Storm KAREN 26 AUG-03 SEP

Hurricane LUIS 28 AUG-11 SEP

Tropical Depression #14 11-13 SEP

Hurricane MARILYN 12-22 SEP

Hurricane NOEL 27 SEP-07 OCT

Hurricane Opal 27 SEP-05 OCT

Tropical Storm PABLO 05-07 OCT

Hurricane ROXANNE 07-20 OCT

Tropical Storm SEBASTIEN 20-24 OCT

Hurricane TANYA 27 OCT-02 NOV

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Landsea/95Season/fig13.gif

These storms tended to cluster during two active periods (30 July-29 August, and 27 September-27 October). Note the relatively inactive period 30 August and 26 September, that coincided with the normal climatological peak in activity.

We aren't predicting a season as active as 1995. However, we will likely see a very active season compared to the long term average. If you could lower the frequency of tropical storms during the 1995 season, the season would look almost identical to our latest MJO and TC activty forecast. We are forecasting two active periods of activity. If our forecast verifies, the TIMING of the season would be extremely similar to 1995, but not as active as 1995. During the 1995 season the month of September experienced slightly BELOW average activity. We do expect a few storms to develop during the month of September. However, the peak of activity shouldn't occur until late September instead of early to mid September. Why? Well you guessed it, the MJO.

Experts don't believe that the Madden Julian Oscillation was the cause for the below average amount of activity in September of 1995. They believe the lull was in response to geopotential height anomolies over North America and cooler SSTs which moderated due to the storms that developed in the month of August. However, we believe that the Madden Julian Oscillation at least had some influence. Researchers didn't know as much as they do now about the MJO.

The "wet" phase of the Madden Julian oscillation has now made its way into the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, we see a burst of convection in the western GOMEX. Its amazing how this oscillation works while moving across the globe. The MJO won't move into the central Atlantic Ocean until sometime around July 5th. This is when we begin to look for signs of an increase in overall activity. This was also stated in our orginal forecast... Jul 10 -- Aug 10: Moderately ACTIVE

So far, our forecast has verified well. We forecasted conditions to become slightly more favorable by the 10th of July. The wet phase of the MJO should be over the central Atlantic roughly sometime near the 10th, resulting in slightly more favorable conditions. Now you won't see a dramatic change. Afterall, we are still talking early to mid July. But there should be some slight improvement overall.

UPDATED DISCUSSION (AUGUST 17, 2002)

Our Madden Julian Oscillation and its influence on the 2002 Atlantic hurricane season forecast is continuing to verify. In our first discussion, we forecasted an inactive period between June 1st and July 5th. This section of the forecast easily verified as we had no tropical development during this period. Between July 5-10 we forecasted a transitioning period across the Atlantic from a dry MJO phase to a wet MJO phase. Obviously, we were correct. The negative "wet" MJO phase moved into the Atlantic by the 10th of July. Since we forecasted the negative MJO to move into the basin by July 10th, we forecasted an increase of activity between July 15th and August 15th. The forecast of moderate activity during this period also verified...

# Storm Name Dates Pres
1 Tropical Storm ARTHUR 14-16 JUL 997
2 Tropical Storm BERTHA 04-09 AUG 1008
3 Tropical Storm CRISTOBAL 05-08 AUG 999

All of our named storms so far this season developed in this period with the exception of Arthur, which developed one day too early. So I would say that our forecast has verified nicely. Will our forecast continue to verifiy through the season? Here is an update on our thoughts for the remainder of the 2002 season...

For the August 15 through September 15th period , we forecasted moderately calm activity, opposed to the significantly calm forecast between June 1 and the 15th of July. While we do believe that we will see tropical development during this period, it won't be as active as what it could be. Why? Well, the positive "dry" phase of the Madden Julian Oscillation is still present over the Atlantic basin and it will take 2-3 weeks before the Atlantic finishes going through another transitioning period. Since mid July, the negative "wet" phase of the Madden Julian Oscillation has been building over the Pacific Ocean. Currently, the wet phase extends from eastern Asia, all the way to the west coast of the United States. The negative phase of the MJO should continue to slowly propagate eastward. Now unless we begin to see another shift in the global pattern, the negative phase should begin to have an influence on tropical activity by September 20th. In June, we forecasted significant activity between September 20 through mid October. We could see a significant increase in activity a week sooner since the MJO is moving a bit faster than we expected.

Now late October and November is a little tricky. A few months ago, Supercane and I forecasted significiantly calm activity during this period. This was due to the forecast of a moderate El Nino beginning to set in by then. Now our forecast hasn't changed due to any changes on the ENSO forecast. By November, 99% of the tropical activity should be over with. So El Nino still isn't expectred to supress activity. However, during El Nino seasons, we typically see an increase in SUBTROPICAL activity. So with El Nino continuing to develop, we could see more subtropical activity during late October and November then previously forecasted. Now this would only be moderate activity but it would still increase our number of storms this season.

Other factors...

Now we all know that the Madden Julian Oscillation is certianly not the only factor. The North Atlantic Oscillation is another factor that you don't hear a whole lot about. Basically, a negative North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) means warmer than average sea surface temperatures across the Atlantic basin, with slightly more favorable conditions in the western Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico. Currently, we are in a negative NAO phase. This is why the SSTs off New England are so warm. The negative NAO also caused conditions in the west Atlantic to become more favorable, which allowed our three tropical systems to develop. Long range CPC models continue to show the NAO going into the tank. IF the NAO stays negative long enough, we could see SSTs off the coast of Africa warm. Now the SSTas have already moderated a bit over the past month or so. We will just have to see if the warming trend (its a very slow trend btw) continues.

The factor catching the most attention lately, has been the strong Azores high. The Azores high is extremely WEAK. The highest pressure associated with the high is 1022MB! That is BELOW the average. The high will NOT strengthen over the next few days. In addition, the strong upper low over the central Atlantic could limit the amount of subsidence over the central Atlantic in a few days. This COULD open the door for possible development in this area. I will try to get to that in my daily discussion (Hopefully I will be able to update it later today.

--------------------

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Excellent update Falcon
      #2043 - Sat Aug 17 2002 11:50 PM

I agree with all of both of you have done with all that is related to the MJO factor and it's effects in the hurricane season.This will be another late season year according to that data that you brought here and this is for some who already are saying that is is a dud season.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SE Bahamas
      #2044 - Sun Aug 18 2002 12:04 AM

looks like will have a depression, strong wave is getting better organized, things are going to start popping soon in atlantic.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Look at this pic there is an excellent signature to this wave
      #2045 - Sun Aug 18 2002 12:44 AM

http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/pdus/AI/latest.jpg

Good candidate for the first cv season storm but let's wait a little more to see if it survives but i think that this one will.

--------------------

Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: W. Central Florida
Re: Look at this pic there is an excellent signature to this wave
      #2046 - Sun Aug 18 2002 12:59 AM

I agree, looks very impressive. Let's see if it can make the journey!
Toni

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Anonymous (HF)
Unregistered

things of little consequence
      #2047 - Sun Aug 18 2002 02:30 AM

well.. as far as the wave at 30W goes.. i've seen worse looking invests this year. if it still looks angry at 40W i'll get interested. no legitimate development threats at this hour.. couple of swirls in the subtropics have my eye. one is around 35N 50W.. semiconvective weak low. the remnants of an MCC that moved off the mid atlantic last night is around 35/68 drifting east too.. most of the convection is gone. either of these can become something should they persist and keep firing convection.. but nothing of much consequence. watch thewave if you want that.
hey moreland nice MJO forecast... know where i can get stuff explaining how it works? like what causes it, specifically why it makes convection perkier..
anyhow if your forecast for september/october activity verifies i'll be very impressed. good luck getting the storms to behave as foretold.
HF 0231z18august

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2048 - Sun Aug 18 2002 02:40 AM

i dont think we'll have to wait till sept for things to get active, i think it will pick up before end of august. the el nino is not that strong.

Jason M
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Thanks
      #2049 - Sun Aug 18 2002 04:00 AM

Here is one of my pages with MJO information...

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/hurricanecentral/MJO.html

There are a few links at the top of the page to other sites.

http://www.tropicalweatherwatchers.com

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

Second Tropical Wave in 2 days...
      #2050 - Sun Aug 18 2002 03:30 PM

I don't remember the last time I saw that! The first wave faded into oblivion after dumping 1-2" of rain in the GNO metro area yesterday. The second is on our doorstep now, though you'd never know it from viewing the Goes 8. I'm looking for another 1-2" today as storms develop. This is good news for the long term drought prospects down here. There was a ton of lightning and thunder yesterday and should be more of the same today.

Thanks for the info on the MJO Jason. I knew you were the resident amateur-expert. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Anonymous
Unregistered

#2051 - Sun Aug 18 2002 03:32 PM

look south of cuba there is a nice twist what do you see steve

Anonymous
Unregistered

cape verde wave
      #2058 - Mon Aug 19 2002 01:39 AM

Yet another impressive wave coming off Africa. Will it hold together? Knowing what has happened so far, I'd say no. We should still watch it. It could become a system of interest.

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: cape verde wave
      #2059 - Mon Aug 19 2002 02:01 AM

This wave distint from the others has a weak azores high and somewhat less hostil conditions to contend with and also the moistere from the wave ahead will help improve conditions so this one I see it have a better chance to develop as it moves more west and it can mantain convection near or over the center of the low.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: **
Topic views: 22935

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center