F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Kimmie@work2
Unregistered

Re: Super-Rapid Scan Loops... [Re: wxman007]
      #22205 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:13 PM

Jason, thanks for the info from last night. We are watching closely. Have noticed the shifts in the models again to the south. This may sound crazy, but Frances is a pretty gal! Prayers go out to the Bahamas! The next 48 hours may get pretty rough for them. Sorry, I have not registered. I can't at work, so i will try when I get home. Kimmie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
      #22206 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:18 PM

European Model Request:

http://www.ecmwf.int/

Click on the maps (3 side by side) then click North America (to your right). then you can move between dates/times.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: 5pm Discussion [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22207 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:20 PM

Been watching this storm dilligently all day like most everyone on the east coast I'm sure. I went back and checked out the movement from Saturday to today. Obviously this storm has moved much further west than it has north, but the difference was very evident when I plotted it out. From 5am Saturday to 5am today the difference in movement was 2.9 degrees north and 11.5 degrees west. From 5pm Sat to 5pm today it's movement was 2.6 degrees north and 13.3 degrees west. I keep seeing the trof draped across the SE just north of Florida, and that high pressure ridge out to the east. For some reason I just don't see Frances taking a dramatic turn to the NW and continuing that trend. Obviously a NW turn, and continued motion in that direction over the next few days would put landfall anywhere from Melbourne northward. However, like I said I have a gut feeling this thing is coming in through south Florida. I think it's moving too fast west, faster than some thought it would be at this point in time, to make a very dramatic turn to the NW and head on the track that the NHC has right now. Just a hunch, but I also hunched that Charley wasn't going to make it all the way to Tampa, though that one was a little easier to call.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Tue Aug 31 2004 10:23 PM)

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Super-Rapid Scan Loops... [Re: Steve]
      #22208 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:23 PM

Steve,

Looks like the European has landfall between WPB & Vero. This general area is what most forecasts today are calling for.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Super-Rapid Scan Loops... [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #22209 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:24 PM

Where is HankFrank and his forecast??

i go to work in the day, man. no computers on the job site. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Aug 31 2004 10:42 PM)

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: 5pm Discussion [Re: AgentB]
      #22210 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:25 PM

when will the next models come out??

AphCane04
Unregistered

#22212 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Check out the Visible Floater....

SRSO loops...

This is not directly related to the hurricane (or maybe it is?), but check out that impressive East Coast seabreeze front that pushed inland today, seemingly in a line all the way from Jacksonville to Miami.

bobbi
Unregistered

floyd [Re: andy1tom]
      #22213 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:32 PM

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1999/FLOYD/track.gif

more worried on this track

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: 5pm Discussion [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22214 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:34 PM

Colleen, I think you are a magnet this season....

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: floyd [Re: bobbi]
      #22215 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:35 PM

what worries me is a split between the two..

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: 5pm Discussion [Re: andy1tom]
      #22216 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:36 PM

18z GFS is out now,,, its even alittle further south then the 12Z run. Now its showing a landfall near Melbourne across the state- Ocala then more N after that. I also see after a decent wnw movement the first 24 hours then almost more nw then slowing down due to the exiting weak trough off the S.E. US then turns more again wnw by Friday thru Saturday making a landfall. Soooo many varibles come into play here with the current movement and slowing and then turning wnw more at the end. Next main trough wont affect this to at least Sunday now so the path now is in the strength of the ridge in the near term, then how fast the weakness off the carolinas and GA moves out to push her again wnw. Point is in all this,, 18Z ETA and now GFS sees this slowing then turning wnw Friday.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
tighter window [Re: AgentB]
      #22217 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:38 PM

don't think i'll close it up completely yet, but going to narrow my strike window tonight. still expecting a stairstep near the bahamas and a terminal left. think it will come ashore as a 3/4 between daytona and beaufort.. emphasis near brunswick, ga.. moving wnw/nw at the time. the harder recurvature shown in the NCEP globals looks a tad too extreme for me (too much ridge strength for nnw movement east of 80w), and much of the rest of the globals are drifting around or painting central florida... like to stay a little right of the consensus as a matter of course. intensity is hard to prog, but follow the idea that it oscillates around 120-130 kt for the next 3 days or so then slowly weakens as it nears the coastline... to around 110-120kt range. system has accelerated a bit more than i expected.. but landfall timeframe still centered on sunday morning, september 5th.
gonna stick to this general idea, until it becomes unfeasible or verifies.
gaston heading out this evening, likely an advisory or three from being declared extratropical.
elsewhere in the basin rather irked that NHC isn't classifying the system nw of the cape verdes (97L).. sheared or not the Dvorak rating has risen today to a paired 2.5 and that's tropical storm intensity. since the system is sheared and the vortex partially exposed, it has the obvious qualifications for at least depression status.. but NHC is still feeding us the same line of 'chance to develop'. it's window for classification will close soon.. possibly for a while and potentially for good.. as it encounters the upper wsw jet from the upper low digging in Frances wake. it should move w to wnw as a sheared system and do little in the way of further developing for 3-4 days.
another wave has exited and has a large envelope of rotation at the mid-levels.. but is low latitude and convectively mediocre... globals develop it by late in the week.
that's the tropics as august is coming to a close.
HF 2238z31august

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: floyd [Re: andy1tom]
      #22219 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:47 PM

Frances is not Floyd and is not Andrew. I know a lot of people are trying to compare them, but the conditions surrounding all three storms were very different. Some commonalities, but those are inherent to this time of year. The building high, troughs coming through, etc. This is a storm all its own and we need to treat it as such. And what a beautiful monster! As the setting sun puts the eye into shadow it sends chills down my spine.

Bill

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: tighter window [Re: HanKFranK]
      #22220 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:47 PM

so hank under your window.. miami is clear

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

TheElNino

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Frances strengthens to a Category 5 [Re: MikeC]
      #22222 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:51 PM

I've been seeing a consistent deep convection (deep red-on the NHC IR) surrounding Frances' eye. She's in store for more rapid deepening taking her to a Category 5 soon, perhaps by late tonight if she maintains the deep convection around her center.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: tighter window [Re: trinibaje]
      #22223 - Tue Aug 31 2004 10:52 PM

under my window. you can decide what it was worth in a few days.
HF 2252z31august

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: tighter window [Re: HanKFranK]
      #22224 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:03 PM

VERY interesting GFS run there, looks to be lining up with this afternoon's more westerly and southern trends. FWIW Frances is moving due west at this time.

lois
Unregistered

1945? [Re: Kevin]
      #22225 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:08 PM

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1945/index.html

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
getting stronger ya'll [Re: lois]
      #22227 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:19 PM

For the life of me, I see nothing that indicates all this carolina, georgia, top of florida stuff.

This hurricane will wreak unbelievable havoc on the bahamas. Sure hope those people, when they had the chance, left.

we get it, rick.. miami-mobile, nothing else possible. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Aug 31 2004 11:22 PM)

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: tighter window [Re: Kevin]
      #22228 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:21 PM

Kevin,

Agree, this is a shift left again for GFS, and way left of the 00Z run, which had gone far right and east from the previous runs. I hope the models start to settle in tomorrow. And I also agree the track is west, it stair-stepped a little earlier this afternoon, but is still on a west track.

That ULL over the Bahamas looks like it is getting squashed, I am assuming it is going away.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 85397

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center