F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
easy does it LIphil [Re: trinibaje]
      #22250 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:55 PM

thanks for your nice moderation, LI phil...
I have written nothing that suggests I don't believe this is serious. We hear your opinions, and everyone else's..and I suppose we are not "allowed" to poo-poo them as you are comfortably doing to mine. I called Miami or the keys 2 days ago, and then hooking into the gulf. The high level ridge in the Atlantic is why I made that call...and watching the hurricane kick dead left...as Andrew did.
I am not interested, nor is anyone else, in trashing one another.

what exactly, does being a moderator entail? I'm confused.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shawn W.
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, S.C.
Re: easy does it LIphil [Re: rickonboat]
      #22251 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:56 PM

It's official -- track is now WNW. I would think this would push the projected landfall up a tadbit north, but who knows.

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
      #22253 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

thanks for your nice moderation, LI phil...
I have written nothing that suggests I don't believe this is serious. We hear your opinions, and everyone else's..and I suppose we are not "allowed" to poo-poo them as you are comfortably doing to mine. I called Miami or the keys 2 days ago, and then hooking into the gulf. The high level ridge in the Atlantic is why I made that call...and watching the hurricane kick dead left...as Andrew did.
I am not interested, nor is anyone else, in trashing one another.

what exactly, does being a moderator entail? I'm confused.

LOL... on some chat boards it means you get to subsitute your opinion for another....

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: getting stronger ya'll [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22254 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:58 PM

Quote:

This is an old discussion; from 5am this morning NOT 5PM. Please check and don't confuse people who are looking for current info.

First, I'm quite aware of what time it is, and 2nd, this was in an E-Mail to me from the NHC that came in at 5:30PM today....maybe he said similar things this morning, but this was going 'you've got mail' just moments before I posted the question to HF. I asked HIS opinion as to the NHC's left bias despite the recent model shifts N and E by the here-to-fore 'good guys' oand left outlier models that now show NE bias. Also, please join us by registering.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

k___g
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Leesburg, FL
Re: getting stronger ya'll [Re: LI Phil]
      #22255 - Tue Aug 31 2004 11:58 PM

I've noticed that you seem to enjoy busting on people...get off it and stay on topic...that's what you preach...y'all...ya'll...who cares, dude...

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #22257 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

But there was a different path per NHC Update 28. Could you detail out day 7?

Ask 'skeetobite'. He is the one with the program. He posted the 11am info he had, hopefully his source of data will be updated soon. The graphics from NRL, etc., may NOT be the source of his data input to his program.

--------------------
Richard

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Models [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #22258 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:03 AM

Quote:

Trying not to exceed 5 days in these graphics since the experienced folks indicate anything beyond 3 days is pretty much a guess.

I need at least 2 coordinates and wind speeds (in miles from the center) for each coordinate. With that info, I can plot and image this monster until it dissipates.

SkeetoBite <<< Definitely not a weather guy

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: easy does it LIphil [Re: Shawn W.]
      #22259 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:05 AM

I have been watching this storm for a couple of days and it has always had a very slight N component all along, even though the NHC kept saying West. It does appear to have a little more North in the track now, but I don't see it as significant, yet.

Bill

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #22260 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Trying not to exceed 5 days in these graphics since the experienced folks indicate anything beyond 3 days is pretty much a guess.

I need at least 2 coordinates and wind speeds (in miles from the center) for each coordinate. With that info, I can plot and image this monster until it dissipates.

SkeetoBite <<< Definitely not a weather guy

Possibly you could limit the 5 day period to the Thursday-Sunday based upon the 5pm NHC forecast data? Will your program take info from that source? Thanks for your efforts so far, they really do help 'tell the tale' to a lot of people used to watching the center red line and ignoring the widespread AREA being affected.

--------------------
Richard

John C
Unregistered

#22261 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:09 AM

Ok folks! I know that this is an excitable time and tempers are heating up. However, there will be NO name calling or third grade tantrums allowed on this site. If you feel the need to pull someone's hair, or to give verbal noogies, DON'T! Step away from the site for a while and realize that each and every person who visits this site has the same rights and abilities to voice their opinion as we all do. Clean it up, or we will. I know we don't all see "Eye to Eye", but this is the time to share some good will, not take pot shots.

Just asking everyone to calm down a bit.

Thanks -John

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: getting stronger ya'll [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22262 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:10 AM

No, it's not too late. Unlikely, but not too late. Hurricane Beulah, 1967, the 1919 hurricane, and even the great Galveston Hurrican of 1900 ... all in September, all born outside the GOM.

No, Frances doesn't look like any kind of Texas hit, but another one isn't totaly out of the question...

Quote:

My THINKING was the furthest west would be central gulf coast. I KNOW SHE IS NOT COMING HERE!!!!!!! It is too late in the season for Texas to get a tropical system unless it is homegrown.

ShawnS

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
gfdl [Re: BillD]
      #22263 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:11 AM

Interesting that GFDL has it forecasted to stay off the coast, going up the coast.
Is this the only model that projects this path?

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: easy does it LIphil [Re: ]
      #22264 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:13 AM

I agree with John. LI Phil means no harm, his is simply making comments. Please respect every other ones rights and thoughts. Thanks.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Shawn W.
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, S.C.
Re: easy does it LIphil [Re: Keith234]
      #22266 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:18 AM

This is officially going WNW now, correct?

TWC reported it at 7:50, I just want to make sure another source can verify this...

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Storm Surge Model for Tampa Bay [Re: Keith234]
      #22267 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:19 AM

Thanks Phil - just found it.. a Cat4 across us covers the entire barrier island with water (as much as 7 feet deep in some places) and as much as 4 feet well into Tampa. WOW. That doesn't count the surges on the beach or being on the west side of the storm for any length of time.

Yikes..

Here is a storm surge model from NOAA on Tampa Bay. It is a video and you will need a quicktime player.

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/bathytopo/visual/slosh.mov

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Wed Sep 01 2004 12:23 AM)

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Back to Topic: Frances [Re: Keith234]
      #22269 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:20 AM

Looks like she is following the NHC projected path fairly well all day today. See below...you won't see the early plots but they were pretty much on target give or take a couple of stair steps wnw:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

VADavid
Unregistered

SSD Numbers [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #22271 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:23 AM

The Dvorak numbers from SSD are now at 6.5/6.5 or 127kts.

Also of note is that Frances' intensity has been maintained at above these numbers for quite some time. That is, for the past few days it has been 5.5/5.5 or even 5.0/5.5 which should relate to 102kts and 90kts for 5.0, but the actual intensity has been 110-115kts, so it would seem to be even stronger than 127kts at the moment.

In any case, the satellite images have been extremely impressive with a stable and circular eyewall and extremely deep convection unlike earlier wrapping all the way around.

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: easy does it LIphil [Re: BillD]
      #22272 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:24 AM

Ahhhhhh I know we are all nervous.........and edgy. The mood in my house is not a good one either...........the vibe is jacked and we are getting on each other's nerves so I know how that goes.

Phil gives us a place to share info along with Mike.............let's all try to understand each other's angst.

(((((( ))))))))

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Back to Topic: Frances [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #22273 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:24 AM

See this model spread....interesting that many models are now moving south toward South FL (YIKES) and Central FL again. (link is from S FL Water Mgmt):

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_06.gif

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Back to Topic: Frances [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #22274 - Wed Sep 01 2004 12:24 AM

The NHC has been on target this year with every hurricane very well, they must be working their butts off!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 85400

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center