F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22706 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:17 PM

Latest wind field graphic available here:

Skeetobite.com

Special thanks to local Mets in Tampa and JAX for guidance on these graphics this afternoon!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Davenport, FL
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: MikeC]
      #22707 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:17 PM

Agreeing with everyone else, the uncertainty of this thing is starting to make me real nervous. We live right on the edge of the major damage from Charley, which was about 10 miles east of us, about 25 miles SW of Orlando. My kids (early 20's) live in Port Orange, just south of Daytona. I was going to tell them to come over here, but now I'm second guessing myself. It doesn't look like anywhere on the Florida peninsusla is safe right now. I was in Port Orange for Floyd, and got boarded up too late to leave. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gotten the hell out of there. Unfortunately, I don't think were going to get a really good track until Friday. Until then, I guess I just sit and stew.

fred08
Unregistered

Re: whats up with link? [Re: Humanriff]
      #22708 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:24 PM

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604P+GIF/012053P.gif

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Humanriff]
      #22709 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:26 PM

Well, we've all been tracking the storm for a few days now so we are getting hurricane burnout. I can't pull myself away from the computer but know that I need to take a break.

The hardest part is not knowing for sure what Frances is going to do.
Hang in there folks.....

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Humanriff]
      #22710 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:26 PM

I hate to say it but it looks like with the way things are shaping up Frances is going to be driving all of you nuts from here on in. At this stage it sure would be alot easier if everyone knew what the upper air patterns were going to be but it is still a guessing game. Is the ridge going to be stronger than expected; will the trough be able to pull Frances? Most of the time, it has become clear by this point which would happen but not this time. I want all of you to know that even though I'm sitting pretty here in Texas I'm most certainly thinking about all of you and hoping and praying for the best. Please be careful and try to take cover and BE SAFE!!!!

ShawnS

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Unregistered User]
      #22711 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:27 PM

The Chief met for TampaBay News Channel 28....he said it while pointing at the graphic that showed 2:00pm Saturday, so I think he just made a mistake; not to mention he just changed it back to "2:00pm Saturday". I think he's just over-excited.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Colleen A.]
      #22712 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:37 PM

Can anyone give me a link to the ridge/trough/high pressure system so I can watch it myself? This seems to be the crucial thing to watch, and I don't know how to see it on the the satellite loops.

Thanks...

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

fred08
Unregistered

#22713 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:37 PM

http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_06.gif

so the billion dollar ?....which way....well don't ask the computers

mikeG
Unregistered

Re: recon [Re: fred08]
      #22714 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:42 PM

URNT12 KNHC 012215
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 01/2215Z
B. 22 DEG 09 MIN N
71 DEG 05 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2549 M
D. 55 KT
E. 042 DEG 093 NM
F. 118 DEG 134 KT
G. 029 DEG 017 NM
H. 939 MB
I. 10 C/ 3114 M
J. 18 C/ 3110 M
K. 14 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C28
N. 12345/7
O. .1/1 NM
P. AF966 1306A Frances OB 27
MAX FL WIND 134 KT NE QUAD 2210Z.

Tarpon
Unregistered

#22715 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:45 PM

The chief met at 28 in Tampa is very good. If you remember the last storm, he was the first to point out that the Charlie had turned east. I saw the news today at 6 and I heard him state that based on the current track, Tampa Bay would not get any hurricane force winds. Get off of his back.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #22716 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:49 PM

where did you hear about the football game being changed? all that i heard was they would wait and see what the track was going to be because FSU wasn't flying down till sat.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: andy1tom]
      #22717 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

where did you hear about the football game being changed? all that i heard was they would wait and see what the track was going to be because FSU wasn't flying down till sat.

I should have said that the officials were "strongly considering" the change according to an article in the AJC newspaper.

Sorry for the mix-up =(

But, just heard on Channel 2 here that ABC and both FSU and Uof M officials are meeting and there will be an official announcement tomorrow about if they will play the game on Monday as scheduled or move it to 9/11(Saturday)

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Edited by Jeffmidtown (Wed Sep 01 2004 10:56 PM)

InitinORL
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Tarpon]
      #22718 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:56 PM

Wind Radius from NRL shows TB won't get Hurricane Force Winds (at the current track and predicted intensity, of course)
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/04_ATL_06L.FRANCES_ssmi_gif_full.html

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #22719 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:57 PM

the landfall peg i set in southeastern georgia last night is staying put for now. moving the timeframe up to later sunday is the only change.. 3/4 status at impact. only additional reasoning i'll add tonight is that the northern modeling has been converging there, and that the storm has decelerated today and that makes me think it is negotiating a ridge weakness and has the opportunity to nudge nw over time. just my thought.. still see plenty of evidence that it hits further south on the east coast of florida, but going to stick with a northern track.
97L still has a closed low, sheared but vigorously refiring convection.. but NHC ignored it when it looked pretty good the other day, and will likely continue ignoring it until it develops an eye. most of the globals are taking it up in a ridge weakness near 45w later in the week.. still developing it. if it stays quite weak the likely track will be continued wnw in the open atlantic.
98L track began earlier today.. no Dvorak on it yet, but the classic easterly wave with a vorticity max and easterly-sheared convection firing just ahead of the surface low/trough. another system globals are slap-happy about, so expect it to develop by/over the weekend. fairly low latitude, and it has a lot of ridging to work its way up through, so it may be something the islands are stressing over next week.
HF 2257z01september

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #22720 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:58 PM

No, he was not the first one to point it out. BayNews9 pointed out about 12 noon. They also began talking about the impacts of what the impacts on Polk County would be immediately thereafter, while Dennis Phillips had to wait to get phone calls from irate inland county residents and that was at 1:45pm.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Where do you get off telling me to get off his back when every other meteorologist is not forecasting what he is? Back off, pal.

Colleen, this is very stressful for us all, much less those who may find themselves in the bullseye, but no direct attacks or it's chop chop.

--------------------

Edited by LI Phil (Wed Sep 01 2004 11:04 PM)

spook
Unregistered

#22721 - Wed Sep 01 2004 10:58 PM

its ashame that Frances does not do as she is supposed too

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: InitinORL]
      #22722 - Wed Sep 01 2004 11:01 PM

And if things weren't bad enough in Miami, check out this story from WFOR-TV
http://cbs4.com/floridanews/FL--Frances-Radar-dn/resources_news_html

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: InitinORL]
      #22724 - Wed Sep 01 2004 11:09 PM

Let's put this in perpective as to TB: not everyone who watches TB news LIVES in Tampa Bay. I live in Lakeland, which is closer to Orlando than it is Tampa. If you remember, the inland counties were pretty much devastated in the southern half of my county and the southern counties below it. So to say that TAMPA BAY won't feel hurricane force winds is technically correct; but there are other counties that WILL feel effects of Frances if it makes landfall as of the 5:00pm track. Most other stations recognize that, but the only met that really does not even bother to mention the other areas in his forecast area is Dennis Phillips. So I have a problem with that.

--------------------

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Hurricane Audio... [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #22725 - Wed Sep 01 2004 11:09 PM

You can listen to the Amateur Radio Hurricane Watch Net live from this link...reports from Grand Turk are coming in on occasion.

Hurricane Watch Net audio

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Chad
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Citrus County, Fla.
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #22726 - Wed Sep 01 2004 11:11 PM

The National Data Buoy Center has a new(?) search feature...enter lat/long and radius to list observations from all buoys in range.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml

--------------------
Chad

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34060

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center