F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
11:00 will be telling... [Re: recmod]
      #22813 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:21 AM

I think that if NHC decides to issue watches at 11:00, they're pretty sure it's a FL hit. If there are no watches, they're either unsure of landfall OR may have it making the northward turn.

I'd still stick with the official track, and whatever track they have progged at 11:00.

I'm not going to issue the sure-to-be-crow-munching forecast tonight. Far too much uncertainty still...gut says Nward turn but realistically (for now) somewhere in the Melbourne area (sorry Ed). This is one of the most difficult to forecast storms I've ever seen...especially for a CV storm, which are usually fairly predictable. Hope all you floridians are prepped and ready to evac if told to do so, and that your dwellings are as protected as can be. Hopefully it will all be for naught.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Hurricane Frances in the Evening [Re: kelcot]
      #22814 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:24 AM

For all of you late prepairers.......... Lowe's and Home Depot ship "hurricane pallets" (batteries, lumber, etc) on a regular basis when there is a hurricane baring down.

--------------------
Kelly

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: wobbles, eyewall stunts [Re: recmod]
      #22815 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:26 AM

Yeah, I forgot that part too. Running at about 60%. Tweleve hour days. Sinus infection, Upper resperitory infection and having to clear debris and get ready to board up tomorrow. I'm wiped out.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Excellent forecast from Gary Gray [Re: LI Phil]
      #22817 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:32 AM

He explains the options that he thinks will play out with Frances, on where it might go and why...... I highly recommend everyone read it to help you understand the complicated dynamics involved ... sorry Phil, he thinks the Space Coast, like yours truly, could be ground zero..

http://www.millenniumweather.com/tropical/discuss.html

you may not agree with his forecast, but you will appreciate how he explains his rationale for his reasoning ...

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: LI Phil]
      #22818 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:41 AM

I hear that indeed the watches will go up at 11pm

--Lou

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: recmod]
      #22819 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:43 AM

From FSU

There SUPER Ensemble package that detects landfall near Vero Beach with re emergence near Tampa into the Gulf and re landfall as a 3 west of Tallahassee

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: HCW]
      #22820 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:49 AM

Where'd did you find that out; and as text or a graphic?

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
      #22821 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:51 AM

Seems like NHC could use the extra six hours before issuing the watches. Timing is a big concern, especially if Frances doesn't slow down as much as the models/fcst say it will. If it does slow down as fcst over central and north Florida, there's gonna be a lot of flooding. My big question continues to be: who evacuates and where do they all go? Perhaps that's part of the reason why some schools are closed tomorrow, so they can start getting shelters ready.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #22822 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:52 AM

You're not quite right on that, not with the intensity at all. But that's all I'll say.

Access to the FSU Superensemble is limited to the NHC & FSU community; everyone else has to pay for it. The 0z run may have just come out, but usually isn't completed until 10-11p.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #22823 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:53 AM

FSU Superensemble is not available publically. However, it has been a pretty reliable model this year. That move does nothing for my confidence. :P The only time I am rooting against FSU vs a cane!

Brett Adair
Unregistered

#22824 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:53 AM

Hello....new to the boards. Well, I just got some information from a FSU student that tells me that a dropsonde was faulty and the models were off for a few days. So now, they have a super ensemble which detects lanfall near Vero Beach and a re emergence near Tampa Bay with a secondary landfalling west of Tallahassee. Looks pretty scary to me...

-Brett Adair-
WBRC-FOX6 Chaser

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: Clark]
      #22825 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:53 AM

Right - Thanks

Thank you as well, Jason.

Edited by ShaggyDude (Thu Sep 02 2004 01:57 AM)

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #22826 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:54 AM

The FSU Superensemble is very closely held...there is no public access to it...in fact, the only ones who have access are those in the FSU met dept, and NHC. I'd give my eyeteeth for access myself.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

RockledgeRick
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast, FL
      #22827 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:56 AM

Here we go again! Much of the Space Coast residents are doing a full scale evac over to Tampa. Most people I talk to are leaving in the morning. NOW we're gonna hear a new path tonight that takes it through TAMPA?! Am I hearing you right? This is maddening!

--------------------
Been through Agnes, Erin, Irene, Dennis, Floyd, Charley, Frances, Jeanne, TS Fay, Matthew

nppam

Reged:
Loc: North Port, Florida
Re: Models Converge and Diverge - I'm dizzy [Re: zacros]
      #22828 - Thu Sep 02 2004 01:57 AM

I agree looking at all the models makes one's head spin after a while, however, can anyone tell me where I can look at the FSU superensemble model? The FSU site wants a password to gain access. Is that model available elsewhere? Just curious, since I've looked at so many of the other models. I'm in North Port, Fl on west coast (thank God) about 15-20 miles from Charley's path. Got fingers, toes, legs, arms crossed looking for that northward turn (sorry Carolinas).

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: wxman007]
      #22830 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:00 AM

The FSU superensemble didn't fcst Charley to move inland south of Tampa - in fact, many models were trending west of Tampa less than 24 hours before actual landfall. Anyone in "the cone" needs to be prepared for some impact from Frances.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: wxman007]
      #22832 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:01 AM

I'd like to re-ask a question that was asked a while ago, I'm hoping someone answers. How can us laypeople *see* the ridge, and tell if it is breaking down or holding up? I have now figured out how to read the ULL fairly well (or at least I think so), but I can't figure out how to see the ridge.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: Brett Adair]
      #22833 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:01 AM

Brett,

You and I know each other, but I don't see any way that one bad dropsonde could contaminate the models for days...I am very dubious of that...Clark? Comments?

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Models Converge and Diverge - I'm dizzy [Re: nppam]
      #22834 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:01 AM

The hurricane stuff isn't on that website at all. Additionally, access to that website (for the global products) is password-protected, and there is a fee involved. The group behind the model went into business marketing it's products and development a couple of years ago and make a pretty penny from the government and other agencies based upon its information.

You can get some info off of NHC discussions or if someone here mentions it, but there have been issues with that recently and thus why I no longer mention it to any great detail in my discussions/posts.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: 11:00 will be telling... [Re: RockledgeRick]
      #22835 - Thu Sep 02 2004 02:02 AM

I'll repeat what I said the other night when someone asked about where to evac to. If you want to be safe, go to Kansas. Maybe that sounded like a joke, but it wasn't.

Actually what we are being told is to evac within your own county, to higher ground and a safer structure. But don't leave the county, makes sense, there is no way the millions of people that live here could actually leave.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34060

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center