F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Sats... [Re: Hurricaned]
      #23439 - Thu Sep 02 2004 11:57 PM

Hurricaned -- probably just a bit south of the NHC forecast. See the graphic with the first post in this thread and shift it ever so slightly south, and you have my thinking. I'm also not too sure about the sharp turn it is forecast to take again once over water; I think a more gradual turn is more likely with this storm. A track similar to Erin 95, with a more southerly route across the peninsula and a slightly further east landfall in the panhandle, is along the lines of what I'm thinking right now.

Latest recon found 948mb pressure, but also an eye that is open SW-N and 20mi. in diameter. Surprised the winds are still as high as they are, but I think part of it is that the NHC wants to cover themselves in case the storm reintensifies in the next day or so. San Salvador only reported 120mph winds, meaning sustained winds are probably now in that ballpark, but if the NHC went down there now, it'd get a few people needlessly off-guard in Florida.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxnole
Unregistered

Re: 5pm Advisory [Re: DroopGB31]
      #23440 - Thu Sep 02 2004 11:57 PM

I

Unregistered

Re: Restore the sanity.. PLEASE!!!! [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #23441 - Thu Sep 02 2004 11:58 PM

being a lurker here for a couple of day it has realy kept me informed

i havent seen hanks latest track i saw last night he was still feeling like a more northern course and does any one know what joe bastardi thinks about current track

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Closer... more detail/cities/streets [Re: francois]
      #23442 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your answer....... Will you post an other map after the 11pm forecast from the National Weather Service?

The wind maps will be updated as significant changes in the forecast coordinates are released. We'll be watching all advisories until Frances is no longer a hurricane.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Sats... [Re: Clark]
      #23443 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:02 AM

Notice NHC went back to a WNW track in the latest advisory. Miami is not out of the woods yet. Also, appears to be regaining a little strength. Only time will tell, but I would bet on a Cat 4 minimum at land fall.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Restore the sanity.. PLEASE!!!! [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #23444 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:07 AM

WeatherNLU -- done and done. You should have something in the next few minutes. He got it, just forgot to reply.

spook -- we have what you could call "Super" hurricanes, with winds over 150mph, but with the Saffir-Simpson scale in wide use in this part of the world, there's no need for yet another designation.

Also, tornadoes do occur throughout the world. Like you won't hear about many of our tornadoes in other parts of the world, you don't hear about theirs here. However, the US does have more than most other nations, likely a result of favorable synoptic (large-scale) weather patterns.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Re: Dumb newbie question about the new map and "red" and "blue" areas [Re: Hurricaned]
      #23445 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:08 AM

Quote:

The red area shows the hurricane winds. The blue area shows the tropical storm/winds.

The red area is shown to be a decreasing cone. I assume that's because once it hits land, it looses strength and consequently gets smaller?

The map shows the winds for the red area at certain times and locations. What are the winds for the blue area at certain times and locations?

The winds in the blue areas are not forcast in intensity from the invisibe line between the hurricane force winds and the outer edge of the storm. Since I'm not a weather guy, I guess the answer is 'hey man; this thing is spinning, it has long arms full of all kinds of weather imaginable and winds will vary in strength and direction depending where you are inrelation to the center storm' (or something like that)

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: 5pm Advisory [Re: wxnole]
      #23446 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:11 AM

Well Frances passed 75W at around 24.3N(maybe just a tad south even) which was further south than the approximate forecast from a few days ago of it crossing at about 25n/75w. To me this means that the forecasts for an SC/GA/N FL hit decrease the further Frances moves to the west. I know that anything can happen, but I'm still thinking this will landfall somewhere between Miami and Vero(remember you're not out of the "clear" until it's passed north of you).

--------------------
Check the Surf

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: 5pm Advisory [Re: AgentB]
      #23447 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:17 AM

However iin this case, even if it passes you by, it could come back South. The chance is slim, but if the ridge builds strong and other things fall in place, a WSW track is not out of the question.

In other words, on this one, don't let your guard down.

Bill

Unregistered

Re: Restore the sanity.. PLEASE!!!! [Re: Clark]
      #23449 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:24 AM

i think it was wed there was a model i think GFDL that showed a storm following Frances i guess they were right ???

ThirdRay
Unregistered

Re: Dumb newbie question about the new map and "red" and "blue" areas [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #23450 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:24 AM

Skeetobite.... I to am in Lakeland. What are your thoughts as to how severe this will be? I enjoy yuor posts. We still have debris in our yards from Charlie here...Advise please

spook
Unregistered

Re: 5pm Advisory [Re: BillD]
      #23451 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:28 AM

I.E.Betsy 1965,moved north,then sw,then west then nothwest,blamed on seeding of storms back then,but as time has shown,these things follow least resistance!

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Dumb newbie question about the new map and "red" and "blue" areas [Re: ThirdRay]
      #23452 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:30 AM

I just don't understand this weakening. Every time I think she may be getting back together, something happens again. I wonder if the mountains of East Cuba are disrupting the inflow/outflow. She seems too far away for this, but it is all I can come up with.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Updates [Re: ThirdRay]
      #23453 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:33 AM

According to our local tv station that just spoke to the hurricane center, the track will shift northward toward Melbourne at 11 pm. Also, here is the latest from my friend Thomas:

Once again I post this email due to numerous requests asking my opinion on our current tropical troubles.

Barely CAT 4 Frances wobbled right then back to the left due to eye wall reformation this afternoon. She is moving slower at around 9-10 mph on a WNW heading. Visible satellite imagery still shows a shrouded eye but I expect normal eyewall re-development in the next 12-18 hours. On the NHC Amateur Radio Net on 14.325 kc I'm hearing weather reports of sustained winds of in excess of 100 mph in the Bahama Islands.

Though we are still in for some circulation friction, track wobble, eyewall reformation, as well as strength fluctuation during the next 24 hours, I see no reason to change my forecasted landfall of between Palm Beach and Vero Beach as a strong CAT 4 on Saturday afternoon. A good storm chaser location will be the Hobe Sound-Port St. Lucie window BUT BE SAFE. As Frances tracks WNW towards the northern Tampa Bay area after landfall, I expect inland east central Florida to see a long period of 111-155 mph winds (CAT 3-4) and inland west central Florida 75-110 mph winds (CAT 1-2). I would also expect 10-20" of rainfall and numerous tornadoes. With most of the central peninsula saturated from yet another very wet summer I would expect extensive inland flooding problems. A second landfall of a CAT 1-2 Frances is also possible in the Florida panhandle or Mobile, AL.

Last but not least I do lower the chances of a Ft. Lauderdale-Miami landfall from 50% to 20% and a NW-N track turn missing Florida to the east from 1% to 20%.

Last but not least we now have tropical depression #7 east of the Windward Islands. Looking at satellite imagery it's already T.S. Ivan. My first impression of Ivan is of a track south of the Greater Antilles through the Caribbean Sea and a CAT 5 threat.

My .02 for today.

Routine disclaimer. As I've officially retired from space and atmospheric weather forecasting, confidence in my forecast of tropical cyclone path and intensity is lower, as I no longer pay for real time raw weather forecasting products.

Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Karen

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic *DELETED* [Re: ThirdRay]
      #23454 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:40 AM

Post deleted by Karen

jimmy99
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #23455 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:50 AM

if Hurricane Frances stalls when it gets on land, what is everyone predicting with the rainfall amounts?ive heard of as much 20 inches if it does stall

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Lakeland taking down street lights... [Re: Karen]
      #23456 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:50 AM

Wife and I went out for dinner tonight, noticed an odd thing we've never seen before in recent memory: work crews were scouring every major intersection and taking down all but 1 redlight for each direction of traffic. Darnest thing I've ever seen. Pull up to a redlight, and there's only 1 light hanging off the lines. Every intersection on the south side of town that we saw (around Shepherd Rd. area of town).

Guess that they're solving two problems at once: 1) get rid of excess projectiles in case of potential 100+mph winds, 2) get a healthy supply of replacement lights if there are badly hit areas that lose all of their signal lights.

Just a really eerie thing to see the work crews dismantling the lights. Makes you realize they aren't kidding about this. Heck, they didn't even do this for Charley, back when they were thinking Charley could plow into us directly....

Londovir

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: another 6 hours.... [Re: Rabbit]
      #23457 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:51 AM

its not weak 140 mph, winds

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: Sats... [Re: jth]
      #23458 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:51 AM

Quote:

Notice NHC went back to a WNW track in the latest advisory. Miami is not out of the woods yet. Also, appears to be regaining a little strength. Only time will tell, but I would bet on a Cat 4 minimum at land fall.

looks stalled to me

RevRandy

Reged:
Loc: Ladson, SC
Re: Hurricane Frances Still on Track TD#9 forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Karen]
      #23459 - Fri Sep 03 2004 12:54 AM

From a Novice perspective....

Watching the water vapor loop, it appears that Frances skirted North of the Bahamas. Is this True? If so, does this move her more Northerly. Also, from the west, I see what I would call a front moving in and what appears to be an area of shear in the GOM. What effect/time would this have on Frances? Also, trying to watch the ridge above her in the same loop, doesn't it bulge north to some degree? Could she force her way north?

I know, novice, but I live near Charleston and would like to see Frances dissolve.

nah, modeling is grouped on east florida.. looks like we're in the clear further up the coast. not likely that's going to change this late in the game.-HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Fri Sep 03 2004 01:11 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 38153

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center