F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Forecast tracks/Model Tracks... [Re: HCW]
      #25036 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:48 PM

The Official NHC forecast at 5 shifted slightly to the left....but not as far left as the models have shifted today.

The more accurate modelling has indeed shifted to the west today....the most significant being the ECMWF, which has bird-dogged Ivan thru the Keys and up the EAST coast for the last several days...it has now settled in with a Big-Bend landfall...the rest of the more reliable track modelling has shifted to the west as well in the 12 and 18Z runs.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThirdRay

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, Fl
Re: ivan/little else [Re: tenavilla]
      #25037 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:49 PM

What's funny about Channel 8 and there Viper commericials is that they only bothered to brag about having had the correct path of Charlie AFTER it had turned. Also it was that Channel that had told Tampa for 3 days to evacuate to PORT CHARLETE and Orlando !!!!

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: ivan/little else [Re: ThirdRay]
      #25038 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:51 PM

I know, I was a little frustrated with that. However...I'm trying to pay attention to what people other than the NHC are saying since you never know who will be accurate this time. I just hate to put all my eggs in one basket and assume that TWC or NHC are the only ones that are ever correct.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
pressure drop [Re: ThirdRay]
      #25039 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:52 PM

URNT12 KNHC 102222
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 10/2222Z
B. 17 DEG 05 MIN N
76 DEG 16 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2456 M
D. 115 KT
E. 055 DEG 017 NM
F. 142 DEG 122 KT
G. 058 DEG 013 NM
H. 927 MB
I. 9 C/ 3060 M
J. 19 C/ 3046 M
K. 10 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C12
N. 12345/07
O. .1/1 NM
P. AF984 1509A Ivan OB 24
MAX FL WIND 122 KT NE QUAD 2218Z.

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: pressure drop [Re: MrSpock]
      #25040 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:53 PM

Just saw that as well - down to 927 MB

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: pressure drop [Re: MrSpock]
      #25041 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:53 PM

That looks like 13 mbs in the last few hours, and if I am not mistaken, the eye temp has risen a little also.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: ivan/little else [Re: ThirdRay]
      #25042 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:54 PM

TWC just said they got an update and the pressure is now down to 927 from 933. That's not good.

Another problem with storms coming from this angle is that you just don't know until hours before landfall where it will be. It's such an odd angle, even 3 days out the cone is just huge.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #25043 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:59 PM

In a related development, it looks like the circulation has completely overcome the dry air intrusion I saw earlier, which is probably why the pressure has fallen. The western eye wall is still thinner than the rest, but overall presentation has shown better organization. I really hope this doesn't hit Jamaica full force.
I did catch an interview earlier with a Jamaican official who said many homes were built of brick top to bottom, so he thought they were stronger than of those in Grenada.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #25044 - Fri Sep 10 2004 10:59 PM

Does anyone have any idea why Accuweather's forecast is so different from the others? They still have landfall at Tampa.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Just an FYI [Re: tenavilla]
      #25045 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:11 PM

Our Morning News Anchor, Jeremy Pate, and Ashley Brand, Weekend Meteorologist at WTVY in Dothan, AL (our sister station) are flying with the hurricane hunters out of Biloxi tomorrow night...I will try to give updates or post pictures as I get them.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: ivan/little else [Re: meto]
      #25046 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:11 PM

Not only has the ridge stopped moving, it looks like it might be eroding away already. But I don't know if that will change the track any, that has been predicted all along about this point.

Bill

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Just an FYI [Re: wxman007]
      #25047 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:15 PM

Very nice - I'd love to see some pictures from Ivan.

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: ivan/little else [Re: BillD]
      #25048 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:44 PM

Glad to see the site back up - thanks for all your efforts, Mike.

Looks to me like Ivan is putting on it's game face for Jahmaica. Many satellite images show it getting very symmetrical.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-bd-loop.html

Edited by ShaggyDude (Fri Sep 10 2004 11:46 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Site Problems/WV Loops [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #25049 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:49 PM

Mike, thanks again for getting this site back on line...I was down for about 30 min.

Losing visibles, but check out this water vapor loop.

Looks like Ivan's heading straight for Kingston...

Also, various sources are reporting many Jamaican's not obeying mandatory evac orders...one can only assume they'd rather face Ivan than looters. That's such a shame. Mandatory curfew's have been ordered, meaning that if you're on the streets, they WILL arrest you.

Pray for Jamaica...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: ivan/little else [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #25050 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:49 PM

I know that it is still to early to tell what or where Florida's fate will be. I have a hard time with the track off the coast to the panhandle. Don't know too much, but that spaghetti model tells a different story. If the projection is off the coast, all the way up, it will keep everyone's attention and people will be prepared, but not cause panic. Just a silly thought in my mind, as people were really acting like fools in my town today. Most importantly my thoughts are with Jamaica now.

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Stronger Ivan [Re: LI Phil]
      #25051 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:55 PM

Ivan's up to 150 mph

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at200409.public.html

"..and it is possible that Ivan could regain category 5
status as it passes Jamaica."

Edited by ShaggyDude (Fri Sep 10 2004 11:56 PM)

sullynole
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #25052 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:56 PM

wasn't it about three days before that NHC had the track into the Ft. Myers area or was it earlier than that? it would make sense that they were advertising that landfall then?

I am not saying that particular station is not a good source, I am just saying don't put all your weight in that for shifting the official track. models shift, thats what they do. Truthfiully, the general public should not be watching any models... many people tend to focus on the track of one of the models and get hyped up about nothing. Only meteorologists (or very experienced trackers who could be considered meteorologists in that sense) can really weigh the models while looking at what is going on in the atmosphere.

--------------------
John

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: ivan/little else [Re: Heather]
      #25053 - Fri Sep 10 2004 11:57 PM

WOW, This isnt looking good for Jamaica. If pressure continues to drop in the next 2 or 3 hours before landfall I'd expect a borderline Cat4/Cat5 at landfall. Winds are probably increasing as we speak. By tomorrow I think Ivan could bomb like Gilbert, maybe not on that level but back to a 5 nonetheless.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: ivan/little else [Re: DroopGB31]
      #25054 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:02 AM

Unfortunately, I gotta agree with drooper...Ivan is definitely strengthening just in time to whallop poor Jamiaca...We need another ERC and SOON! Otherwise, I'm guessing he's probably at CAT V status or damn close right now...

God...can you imagine those poor bastids who ignored evac orders...with no power...sitting in their ramshackle homes with a shotgun in hand (to fend off the inevitable looters) and not knowing what they are about to face?

I don't even want to think about the number of fatalities right now...but I can only surmise it will be in the hundreds, if not thousands...

Pray for Jamaica.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: ivan/little else [Re: sullynole]
      #25055 - Sat Sep 11 2004 12:05 AM

They were forecasting Ft. Myers early, then Tampa. Actually, they were still forecasting Tampa when Charley made the abrupt turn into Port Charlotte.

I don't listen to just one model, I actually channel hop/surf the net to see what everyone is saying. What I'm trying to figure out is why the majority of the models say one thing, and the official track is something else. It seems that they take the eastern outlier and the western outlier and plunk the official right in the middle. That's even when I've looked at the models and at times not one of them agree with the official. Seems strange.

Incidentally, I'm not completely ignorant in this area, I have a science background and teach high school science (including earth science). Don't get me wrong, I'm not anywhere close to a met, but I do have a basic education in this area.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 26799

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center