F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ronn [Re: SC Bill]
      #25356 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:26 PM

Quote:

I can't recall, in past years, having quite the dramatic changes in the models, and forecast tracks, that we have been seeing this year ie. Charley, Frances, Ivan.

Yes, this is the first year of 5-day fcsts being released to the public, and we're seeing some of the short-term effects of how the media is handling the new information. Seems like a lot more confusion because we hear more people saying a variety of different things farther in advance. A lot of people talk as if the storm is going to hit their little corner of the world, which might just be true in some circumstances. The media can do a better job of educating, rather than just reacting to and propogating the hysteria.
The forecast tracks, models, etc. may seem a little more eratic, but that's because we've had way more than our usual number of storms around Florida, and Florida is at the latitude where a number of storms make their transition from the easterly tropics to the variable sub-tropics. The most difficult part of forecasting tropical cyclones is when they slow down or turn. Actually, I thought NHC has been very stable and consistent this year, despite the very unique challenges.

Edited by RevUp (Sat Sep 11 2004 04:39 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: GOM fo sho [Re: HCW]
      #25358 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:31 PM

Agree entirely! Ivan bears watching until it's beyond your area. Again, pay attention to that "cone of concern" based on NHC forecast. There's a lot that goes into those forecasts!

HMY
Unregistered

Re: Ronn [Re: RevUp]
      #25360 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:35 PM

Charley didn't give too much notice about his landfall. Apparently Ivan does his own thing as well. Weren't all the forecasts making him a direct hit into Jamaica? Thank God our technology was a bit off and maybe they have been spared a bit. Point is, how can we look days into the future, when hurricanes change and catch us off guard in just a matter of hours??

Redbird
Unregistered

Re: GOM fo sho [Re: RevUp]
      #25361 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:37 PM

In reference to whether some area is out of the woods or not, back to Isabel last year we were on guard till it passed our area on the coast. Just the idea of having something that powerful hugging the coast as Ivan is appearing to do soon is enough to keep most people on alert. It is truly time to make sure your weather radio is fully stocked with spare batteries!

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ronn [Re: HMY]
      #25362 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Charley didn't give too much notice about his landfall. Apparently Ivan does his own thing as well. Weren't all the forecasts making him a direct hit into Jamaica? Thank God our technology was a bit off and maybe they have been spared a bit. Point is, how can we look days into the future, when hurricanes change and catch us off guard in just a matter of hours??

It's a miracle that we have the technology that even allows us to guestimate where these cyclones are moving with some pretty good accuracy. The problem is that we don't take the errors of distance, timing and intensity into account when we receive the forecasts ... we're fixated on a line; we don't see the forest because of the trees

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Redbird
Unregistered

#25363 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:45 PM

Charley taught me to look at the areas to the right and left of the center line track and recheck my vulnerabilities......IOW's board up automatically at the hint of a storm coming by. NHC is an excellent resource which tells us all to look at the error margins................I commend them for their hard work.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ronn [Re: Redbird]
      #25364 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:55 PM

Even if NHC forecasts Ivan to be farther west of Florida, all of us along the Gulf coast need to stay alert.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #25365 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:00 PM

I'm alert but, I'm gonna enjoy the weekend and get away from this tracking for a few hours.

Should be a great day in Florida so lets get outside and enjoy it and step away from the computer.
At least that's what I'm gonna do.......hard as it might be.....I'm going......I really am......

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
      #25366 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:01 PM

A friend of mine just called me and said that Dr Steve Lyons was just on and had the center line into Tampa again I didnt see it. Did any of you? I know that the center line means nothing however just wondered if anyone saw that.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ronn [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #25367 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:02 PM

.. and just before we enjoy the beautiful weather ... here's a recent storm report from Jamaica
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2004/jamaica.shtml

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

#25368 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:36 PM

I know it is just me but it sure looks like the trough may be getting somewhat weaker. But it is a WV so more than likely I'm wrong on this.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

ShawnS

Chad
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Citrus County, Fla.
Re: Ronn [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25369 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:47 PM

http://www.cira.colostate.edu/ramm/rmsdsol/RSOMAIN.HTML

Check out the WV loop here.
Does it indicate that the ridge is weakening or pulling back? The SE edge seems to be breaking up some.

--------------------
Chad

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Ronn [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25370 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:50 PM

your friend was lying,, i didnt see that..lol anyways seriously though, tampa isnt out of the question. If you look at the water vapor loop you can see what could be the final determining factor on where Ivan will end up. There is a fast short wave pulse diving se into Kansas and Oklahoma from the Rockies and the Pacific northwest.....now since Ivan is moving slowly near 8mph and is expected to stay moving slowly the next 48 hours,, this should give this pulse time to dive down into the N central gulf by Monday morning. By then Ivan should be near 22N and 82W moving NNW or N. Should this pulse continue east ( which it could) then that would deflect the hurricane off to the NNE or even NE after it gets north of 25-27N and 84W. Looking like BigBend area right now but not sure yet,,,,so anywhere from Venice up to Ft Walton Beach needs to keep a eye on this. Right now S Florida shouldnt get more then TS force winds if the center makes landfall in west central forida. The keys still arent completely out of a threat to get hurricane force winds,,especially in Keywest, but landfall there is less then 20% right now.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Models [Re: scottsvb1]
      #25371 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:54 PM

Looking at the latest NHC track and the model runs, it as of now looks a lot like the track of Frances.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Models [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #25372 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Looking at the latest NHC track and the model runs, it as of now looks a lot like the track of Frances.

Don't you mean Charley ?

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: GOM fo sho [Re: HCW]
      #25373 - Sat Sep 11 2004 03:58 PM

...or at least north of your location.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Models [Re: HCW]
      #25374 - Sat Sep 11 2004 04:00 PM

No, I am speaking of Frances and the last clustering of model runs for her.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Models [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #25375 - Sat Sep 11 2004 04:02 PM

Frances came from the east,,,,,,,,plus the models were split with her too.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Models [Re: HCW]
      #25376 - Sat Sep 11 2004 04:06 PM

Morning/Afternoon, all...

Won't say anything more about 9/11 other than to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to save others (fire/police/ems/et. al.) and the innocents who perished at the hands of the terrorists...several of whom I knew personally...OK that's it...onto Ivan:

How the hell did he dance around Jamaica like that? That's fantastic for the Island...still lots of destruction, but no direct hit...Rick...did you do some voodoo dance to save them? Well, whatever it was, maybe he's gonna give us all a break...doubtful...but possible.

Next up: Grand Cayman...I was there in 2000 and they were still, in some areas, recovering from Gilbert...amazing. Lets hope Ivan does the chicken dance around them too. Also visited Little Cayman and Cayman Brac...nothing but a couple of beautiful homes combined with some ramshackle huts there...let's hope they're spared.

I think Coop meant Charley, not Frances...boy are they taking similar paths.

Sticking with my SW Landfall, despite all the modeling and visuals to the contrary...if you are going to go down, you might as well take the ship with you, no? Naples landfall Tuesday afternoon. Probably be off by 500 miles and 24 hours, but at least I can admit a blown forecastsvb...

Anyhoo, today is a somber day for me personally but there's still the weather.

Peace, y'all.

Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Models [Re: LI Phil]
      #25377 - Sat Sep 11 2004 04:08 PM

what you talking about blown forecast?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 23838

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center