F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
ALLIECAT
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Warnings up from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL and Puerto Rico [Re: Unregistered User]
      #27362 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:27 AM

HELLO. ANYONE THERE? THIS SITE HAS REALLY BEEN HELPFUL. I STUMBLED ON IT DURING Frances AND YOU ALL REALLY HELPED US HERE IN SE GA KEEP UP WITH Frances. WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM THIS STORM. I FEAR THAT IT WILL TAKE A TURN EAST. I'M A AD SPECIALTY SALES REP, WHAT DO I KNOW? THANKS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Hurricane Warnings up from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL and Puerto Rico [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #27363 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:27 AM

>>> Well, Ivan appears to be noticeably weaker today than in past, and has the usual stairstep motion, though, it resembles a sort of slinky motion... upwards.

Shagg...dude...

There is nothing to indicate Ivan is any weaker...don't go by the SSD WV loops...his T#s are still 5.5/6.0 and he's still pumping out 140+ winds. I'd love to see him weaken, but he's undergoing another ERC so take his visual with a grain of salt.

Recon is finding some pressure rises, but also some pressure drops, and some on this board have opined he may be a CAT V (I'm not buying that...I doubt he can ever regain that status again and I sure hope not). Nevertheless, he's NOT weakening.

All reports up to this point indicate a CAT IV at landfall...and I see nothing out there to stop that from happening...good lord...

Not only is there going to be a whole world of hurt at landfall, but he's going to stall over the weekend, possibly producing 20"+ rainfall amounts...I really REALLY hope I'm wrong with this, but...and I'm not wishcasting or wavemongering here...everything points to a REALLY BAD endgame.

I'm REALLY (I like that word) praying this is not the case...we've seen Strong IV's miracuously drop to weak II's magically just before landfall...that would be the best...just don't see it yet...please let there be something to change my mind.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Elaine H
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Jeanne [Re: Keith234]
      #27364 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:28 AM

Not only types fast, but at a glance...the spelling is impeccable. I have noticed a respectful change in the tone of the board in light of the gravity of this situation. My heart and prayers go out to all that are affected by this storm.

Best wishes to all.

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne [Re: Elaine H]
      #27365 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:32 AM

URNT12 KNHC 150103
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 15/0045Z
B. 24 DEG 45 MIN N
87 DEG 03 MIN W
C. 700 MB 2502 M
D. N/A
E. N/A
F. 105 DEG 143 KT
G. 007 DEG 23 NM
H. 930 MB
I. 17 C/ 3047 M
J. 18 C/ 3048 M
K. 16 C/ N/A
L. OPEN W-SE
M. C43
N. 12345/7
0. 1/1 NM
P. NOAA3 3609A Ivan OB 33
MAX FLT WND 147KTS NE QUAD 2039Z

dani
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola/Indianapolis
Re: Winds [Re: Keith234]
      #27366 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:34 AM

See, I was thinking the exact same thing. It seems TWC uses different criteria to determine what strength the hurricane is. Any idea why that is the case?

--------------------
dani

Go Green Bay!

alliecat
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Warnings up from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL and Puerto Rico [Re: Clark]
      #27367 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:37 AM

THANKS! THAT IS A RELIEF. ALTHOUGH WE WEREN'T FACED WITH THE BRUNT OF THE STORM, IT WAS PRETTY ROUGH. I LIVE IN JESUP GA. ABOUT 40 MILES NORTH WEST OF BRUNSWICK. WE EXPERIENCED TREMENDOUS POWER OUTAGES AND LOTS OF LOST SLEEP. MY 8 YEAR OLD IS TERRIFIED OF STORMY WEATHER AND MY HUSBAND WAS NERVOUS AS CAT. I COULD NOT IMAGINE WHAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE HAD THE STORM BEEN A CAT. 1 WHEN IT PASSED TO THE WEST OF US. MY UNCLE STAYED IN PUNTA GORDA THRU CHARLIE SO MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL THAT WEATHERED THAT STORM AND THE PEOPLE WHO WILL WEATHER Ivan. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. YOU ARE ALL IN OUR PRAYERS!!!!

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Evacuation [Re: ALLIECAT]
      #27368 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:39 AM

We drove from Mandeville to Shreveport today and left at 9 am. After hearing Nagin on TV encouraging everyone to leave, we figured we should leave early. The traffic was not bad, but I hear it took 7 hours to go from New Orleans to Baton Rouge later in the afternoon. We are staying at an older relative, who probably wouldn't understand my need for being on the computer all day. So, unless I find a fast-access internet hangout, I probably won't be around until after the storm. Good luck to everyone!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: Hurricane Warnings up from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL and Puerto Rico [Re: LI Phil]
      #27369 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:41 AM

No prob, Clark. Thanks for the informative posts.

I guess I should have clarified, as Phil has noted. What I meant to say was that Ivan's overall appearance is more ragged than in the past, having warmer cloud tops and a less symmetric eye. I'm not trying to imply a weaking trend, and am fully aware that this could very well be another phase in Ivan's evolution. It is true, that this in no way detracts the fact that this is a powerful hurricane and I certainly hope for the best for the people affected by Ivan in the future and pray for everybody's well being. I just tend to make observations just to note changes that may, or may not (<--- most likely), be significant.

Edited by ShaggyDude (Wed Sep 15 2004 01:45 AM)

spook
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Warnings up from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL and Puerto Rico [Re: LI Phil]
      #27370 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:47 AM

http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanecamille.htm

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Ivan [Re: Clark]
      #27371 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:47 AM

And now Ivan...well, what can one say about this storm? I know for one that it has pretty much cracked the Dvorak intensity scale -- not once during the regularly scheduled updates has it had a T-number higher than 6.5 (127kt/935mb), and only on a couple of occasions did it reach T7.0 (140kt/921mb) on intermediate advisories. Just goes to show you how beneficial recon can be, despite the high costs involved (into the millions of dollars).

Ivan has continued to move generally in a NNW fashion today. Most of the motion continues to be northerly, though every so often the eye jogs to the west, often times in wobbles at it tries to reform and consolidate. The storm is roughly due south of Pensacola right now along 87°W.

Right now, Ivan is starting to look a bit more asymmetric as some drier air begins to infiltrate the SW side of the storm (thanks to sullynole for the heads-up on this one). The dry air is a remnant of the trough now up by Ohio that dove down to the northern Gulf last night; it has taken time to rotate around the circulation of the storm, but it is slowly but surely infiltrating the circulation. Outer bands are beginning to impact the Florida peninsula and big bend, while the outflow from the storm reaches far up the Atlantic seaboard.

Te shortwave trough over the SE US last night lifted faster than expected, but was enough to begin to turn the storm. However, it is not enough to lift it to the shore or turn it eastward, contrary to my previous thinking. The ridge located over Texas and Oklahoma, while small in nature, is beginning to build northeastward. If it builds faster than Ivan moves, it could result in a storm that stalls out much sooner than expected -- perhaps even over the Gulf. I don't anticipate that, but it would be a disaster scenario for the New Orleans-Panama City area if so. Instead, a slower forward speed to landfall, which is still roughly 42-48 hours away I believe, is more likely.

With the change in prognostic reasoning, a change in the landfall region is necessary. The area most under the gun from a direct landfall is from Mobile eastward to Destin, in fair agreement with (if a bit east of) the NHC path. It must be noted, however, that the wind field with this storm is so large -- along the north side, the tropical storm wind field extends 235 miles to the west and 265 miles to the east -- that areas well away from the exact landfall point will receive high winds and have the potential for damage. It is feasible that much of the hurricane warning area will receive hurricane force winds, at least in gusts, with this storm. If it can be surmised, the tropical storm wind field is a bit bigger with this storm than with Frances, and we all saw what happened as it moved inland.

Assuming a landfall point near Pensacola for a moment, tropical storm force winds would affect the region from Baton Rouge, LA to just east of Perry, FL, while hurricane force winds would affect the region from Biloxi, MS to Panama City, FL. In addition, rains along the path of this storm, especially to the east of a line from Mobile, AL to Chattanooga, TN, are going to be locally heavy. Beyond landfall, rains in the central Appalachians -- already devestated by Frances -- are going to just add to the problems for residents of North Carolina and the Virginias.

Intensity -- see no reason to substantially deviate from the NHC intensity forecast except to knock it down a tad. While the pressure is remaining steady around 930mb for the time being, the eyewall is in a constant state of flux, there is greater shear ahead (if only a little bit more before it hits land), dry air is about to infiltrate the storm (if it hasn't done so already, considering the open W-SE eyewall), and the height of the 700mb surface continues to rise, now over 2500m. A reduction of about 10kt in the NHC forecasted intensities is what I feel the most likely forecast, but the course of least regret is to prepare for a high end category 4 hurricane and hope for the best. Better safe than sorry.

I hope everyone in the projected landfall swath of the NHC has made all necessary preparations, including those well inland of the system. Tropical storm force winds will begin to impact the coast tomorrow and it will be downhill from there. Best of luck to everyone and, unless things change, I think I'm going to focus on Jeanne for now...things seem to have come into better agreement tonight, the models (trending eastward) and the observations (trending westward) included.

And time to eat a bit of crow on this one...though for folks around these parts (Tallahassee), one only needs to remember what Kate did despite relatively low winds (max wind < 70mph in Tallahassee) to see what this storm may still cause well inland and well away from the center of the storm.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

spook
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Warnings up from Grand Isle, LA to Apalachicola, FL and Puerto Rico [Re: spook]
      #27373 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:50 AM

Erie!!

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Here we go again! [Re: spook]
      #27374 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:52 AM

Looks like I will have to register

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Ivan [Re: Clark]
      #27375 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:53 AM

Clark...who is your professor at FSU...I want to thank her/him for their great program...you my friend have a successful future in store.

clueless
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Buoy action picking up [Re: Elaine H]
      #27377 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:55 AM

I figure - Central Florida had like 40 years without a direct hit - or something like that - I can put up with a season of rough storms if it means that I NEVER have to shovel snow agaoin - cause I know that happens every year in Indiana

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
First Ivan Wind Field map [Re: LI Phil]
      #27378 - Wed Sep 15 2004 01:56 AM

Note to guests and post "Frances" users:

1. These images are interpretations based on advisories issued by the National Hurricane Center.
2. Wind fields (the blue & red circles) are not concentric. Winds may vary all over the map... literally.
3. High winds extend far beyond the circles in these images, especially in feeder (rain) bands.
4. Areas in the path of this storm will experience high winds long before the hurricane arrives.
5. Your local news is the best source for emergency data and local storm updates.

Full size image (600x600 high res.) available at www.skeetobite.com

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Radar from Tampa [Re: MikeC]
      #27380 - Wed Sep 15 2004 02:00 AM

Check out the first major feeder band on radar from Tampa. I can only surmise that those are massive hook echos spinning offshore.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.ktbw.shtml

We had a number of tornado scares from Frances. Everyone on the east side of the landfall of Ivan needs to be alert for the added danger of tornadoes as well. Be safe everyone.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: First Ivan Wind Field map [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #27381 - Wed Sep 15 2004 02:01 AM

Fantastic stuff Skeet! Thanks! I know many others agree!

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

dani
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola/Indianapolis
Re: First Ivan Wind Field map [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #27382 - Wed Sep 15 2004 02:02 AM

I agree. His graphics help make a lot of the information easier to digest during Ivan

--------------------
dani

Go Green Bay!

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Jeanne [Re: Clark]
      #27383 - Wed Sep 15 2004 02:08 AM

Clark, question for you. What about the idea in some models that Ivan may actuall "back up" a bit down to Alabama or Georgia before he moves on out? Do you buy any of that and, if so, what affect would this have on Jeanne? Seems like that might allow a little further to the South and west?

--------------------
Jim

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
New Orleans? [Re: dani]
      #27384 - Wed Sep 15 2004 02:10 AM

I hope Ivan doesn't continue on the path he has been on the last few frames because it looks as though he would be headed right for N.O.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44915

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center