F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: 7th strongest cane [Re: Frank P]
      #27906 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:53 PM

Hello to All…

As Yogi would say, Déjà vu, all over again!!!

When I was a girl….many, many long eons ago.. my father took me with him to visit a Marine Corps buddy who was a Ham operator. I don’t remember the name or location of the hurricane, but we talked to folks in and around the threatened area. That memory has stayed with me for almost half a century.

Reading the posts on this board remind me so much of that experience. The knowledge that is shared, the heartfelt wishes sent to those in harm’s way, a camaraderie that transcends age and technical know-how. Thank you to all for sharing..

Re: the earlier question about open/closed windows --- this is how I remember it. We cracked a window on the “calm” side and then reversed the process when the wind changed direction. Can’t remember why, just that we did. Might have had something to do with having jalousie windows. Do people still use those? Haven’t seen them in years.

I have been following storms since that experience as a girl... and, as a 4th generation Floridian (partly raised on the Space Coast), I have ridden through a few, including one while living on the barrier islands of Brevard Co. (not something I would recommend). HOWEVER , I have been living far away for the past 18 years!!! I currently live in Crawfordville (Wakulla Co.), and things have been pretty calm, so far. We are as prepared as can be and I am more concerned with tornadoes in my location. We have already had a tornado spotted in north Leon Co.

I will now go back to my wallflower position (don’t like the word “lurker”). Keep up the good work and my prayers to all.

SK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Question [Re: rule]
      #27907 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:57 PM

On my personal radar system, it is telling me that there is very dangerous tornadic activity. I can't imagine what a CAT 5 looks on doppler radar.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

lhag
Unregistered

Re: Question [Re: Jack Love]
      #27908 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:57 PM

If I am reading it right (and being from the middle of the country, I don't ever use lat and lon) buoy 42040is almost directly in Ivan's path? Is this correct? And what are the odds that this buoy remains functional throughout the storm?

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Question [Re: lhag]
      #27909 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:01 PM

seems like buoy 42040 is not reporting wave height anymore. alsow dpia1 buoy is not reporting tide either. not sure what that means...

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Puerto Rico [Re: Bioman]
      #27910 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:05 PM

SKY WARN SPOTTER REPORTED 7 INCHES OF RAIN...ESTIMATED 100 MPH WIND GUSTS...AND A CALM LASTING 30 MINUTES

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Question [Re: lhag]
      #27911 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:06 PM

Actually it is due North of Ivan, and might be in the eye already. It is at 29.2 N 88.2 W and the 6:00 PM CDT location of Ivan is 28.8 N 88.2 W. It reported in last hour, it will be interesting if it reports in this hour as it should be in the eye.

Also pressure down to 931 in 6 PM CDT advisory.

Bill

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Question [Re: Bioman]
      #27912 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:06 PM

Watch out Mobile, some nasty rain bands are become stronger off the coast, 2 to 3 inch per hour rainfall estimates. Tornados with that one too, should make landfall in about 30 mins. WATCH OUT

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Getting Breezy [Re: Bioman]
      #27913 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:10 PM

The trees are just about in a constant motion now it's pulsing
the lights have flickered some in the last few minutes.I think it is getting about time to cycle the puter down.Hopefully be back on line in a few days.

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
rickontheboat [Re: javlin]
      #27914 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:11 PM

isn't Ivan his wish? I hope he is ok...

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Edited by trinibaje (Wed Sep 15 2004 11:11 PM)

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: models [Re: MrSpock]
      #27915 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:11 PM

this was on key west and melb. discussions. a strong canadian high is coming down this weekend and will block jeanne. not a trof.

eulogia
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Re: the bulge [Re: Frank P]
      #27916 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:12 PM

No worries. Days before Charley, for a bit of light reading, I read, "Killer 'Cane" about the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane. Talk about spooking yourself before a storm!

--------------------
Agnes (1972), No Name Storm (1993), various and sundry, Charley (2004), Wilma (2005,) et. al

BillD
User

Reged:
Re: rickontheboat [Re: trinibaje]
      #27917 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:14 PM

As do we all wish the best for rickonboat, Frank P, javelin, Jason, Steve and the rest of you that are in this storm's path or have family in this storm's path.

Bill

Wakullan
Unregistered

Re: 7th strongest cane [Re: StormKrone]
      #27918 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:15 PM

Wakulla resident too, currently in Orlando.....glad to see the Wakulla report, thanks!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: models [Re: meto]
      #27919 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:15 PM

Then how come the NHC has the hurricane recurving if there's a strong Canadian high coming down? Doesn't a strong Canadian high form as the result of a strong Canadian low.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Anon
Unregistered

Re: Question [Re: MrSpock]
      #27920 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:15 PM

Yes, Tanya, 1995.

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: models [Re: Keith234]
      #27921 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:19 PM

no it doesnt read key west and melbourne discussions.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #27922 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:20 PM

High is at the surface, the trough is aloft. High comes down the back side of the trough.
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_slp_060m.gif

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_500_060m.gif

Edited by MrSpock (Wed Sep 15 2004 11:24 PM)

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Question [Re: Bioman]
      #27923 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:20 PM

Shout out to all the lurkers who have registered and begun posting. Many boards have their good qualities, but CFHC has always had that personal feel /mush off

As to the Pensacola Christian question, I'm sure they know what they are doing. I haven't been following Pensacola on the local sites, but it would appear they will take a pretty vicious hit. If the school believes they should be on the lower floors, and assuming they are in a brick structure, they're probably going to be okay. I'm only guessing but the reasons they probably are moving your daughter and her fellow students to the lower floors is a) windspeeds are much lower at the ground than they are at like 40' (and ^ of course). b) It doesn't flood in Pensacola (and other NWFL coastal communities) the way it does in other cities. The SOIl is very sandy. The land slopes down to the Gulf from reasonable elevations. There is ample natural areas (including lawns) to absorb deluges, etc. The Beachs can flood with tidal surges, and theoretically, a setup could be there to empty the sound or bay onto adjacent land areas (Gulf Breeze, etc.).

She should be okay, but she'll have some frayed nerves. Hopefull, there will be a lot more praying than swearing since it's a Christian college afterall .
-----------------------------------------------
Nothing ever really happened in New Orleans. Report from here is a windy day off of work. For whatever reason, the rainshield hasn't been able to build over to Jefferson Parish. Louisiana's worst hit was probably down in lower Plaquemins (boot of LA) - Boothville, Venice, Buras, etc. and then lower St. Bernard. Some of the wind gusts down in Buras were upper TS before the reporter moved north 60 miles. Supposedly Belle Chase Highway south of Ft. Jackson (60 miles s. of Belle Chase and home of the sweetest citrus on the planet) is closed. And LA Highway 1 leading down to Grand Isle is closed somewhere around Fouchon or Golden Meadow. It's blowing pretty good here, but it's just a nice night. I've got a bunch of windows and doors open blowing the crud out of the house . I'd say max gusts are probably upper 30's/low 40's. Clouds keep rolling by from the NE (feeder bands without the rain).

Looks like the heaviest rainfall (can't confirm because NWS is running too slow when you can even get it) seems to be from Panama City Eastward toward the Apalachee Bay communities. (*best gust of the night - blew a bunch of stuff off this desk*)
-------------------------------------------------
As to the flooded yard in Tampa Bay, was that rainwater or tidal?
----------------------------------------------------
Frank P - This Abita Fallfest is for you.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
Re: Question [Re: trinibaje]
      #27924 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:22 PM

Seems there's some confusion - the Navy (?) used to identify storms with the old Phonetic Alphabet -- Able, Baker, etc which in today's system would be Alpha Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot (not to be confused with the Greek letters Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, etc, but I digress).

Anyways, back in '98 I believe, the local TV meteorologist said that if they run out of names on the NHC list, they would then start using names spelled with the Greek alphabet, starting with Alpha. And no, I'm not too sure myself how that would work

Stay safe everybody.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

BillD
User

Reged:
      #27925 - Wed Sep 15 2004 11:22 PM

Some of the models had Ivan stalling out and blocking that high from coming down as far.

But even if it comes down, Jeanne might slip between the current high it is traveling along and the one coming down if Ivan pushes through between them.

The high could also come down and keep Jeanne from going north, this is what the GFDL was saying earlier today, but has now shifted right also to be more in line with the other models.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 98380

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center