F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Action in the Tropics
      #349 - Sat May 25 2002 04:04 PM

oops, i guess i must have checked NHC site when they were reissuing... well ok, they have not dropped their Statement, but issued the last one unless anything happens. However, the little low is trying to kick up more convection now than it did all day yesterday. Am waiting for the 12Z Surface Analysis to be made available so i can see if they are still indicating the low heading Northeast towards the convection over Jamaica and Haiti.

Oh well, at least it is an early test run

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Action in the tropics or lack thereof
      #350 - Sat May 25 2002 04:09 PM

After reviewing the vis sat loops I have one Italian word that sums up my feelings on the tropics this morning and the rest of the day....

"Fuhgetaboutit"

Everybody have a great Memorial Day Weekend...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#351 - Sat May 25 2002 04:09 PM

that statement was issued yesterday

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
      #352 - Sat May 25 2002 04:17 PM

OK, 12Z surface analysis still indicates that the weak low will head NE or ENE towards the convection near Haiti, but it also shows a new 1009 mb low developing near Great Inagua Island, just north of Haiti... interesting... and the models still show development!

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
      #354 - Sat May 25 2002 04:31 PM

I just noticed the date on the Advisory. Odd because I just got the posting at 11:30am 5/25.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
What's up JK?
      #355 - Sat May 25 2002 05:23 PM

Good to hear from you. I appreciated the insights last year and look forward to more in 2002, but mostly it's just good to see you and all the regulars alive and well. I'm excited about June and August-October this year. And I also think there is potential for some Yucatan/BoC/Southern Gulf development this year.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Anonymous
Unregistered

day three...
      #356 - Sat May 25 2002 05:36 PM

sucker still doesn't look any better today. most of the focus has shifted south to near the coasts of honduras and nicaragua now, though convection is still east of jamaica and now in the florida straits. lots of shear, no well defined surface low. models are finally getting less agressive, though. perhaps 90L has been pulling our figurative leg.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Didn't see Gary Gray's 5/23 forecast posted (link)
      #357 - Sat May 25 2002 06:25 PM

http://www.millenniumweather.com/tropical/season.html

Hope this isn't a repost. But Gray's calling for 12/7/3 (possibly 13, 8, 4). He's going with Gray but trending possibly upward. My April was 13,8,2or3. His highest risks are coastal NC, and the NE Gulf based partly on tracks/activity in the analog years and the expected position of the Bermuda High (edging up to the east coast).

Personally, I think the Bermuda will nose into the US a little more than he's giving it credit for, so even though he's calling for fairly far western atlantic recurvature toward the Outer Banks, I think the risk for the SE US Coast is a little higher than he's giong with.

Steve

--------------------

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Didn't see Gary Gray's 5/23 forecast posted (link)
      #358 - Sat May 25 2002 07:15 PM

Finally, a visible circulation centre now exists for the Tropical Disturbance 90L. The latest series of visible satellite pics from GHCC show a definite circulation near 14.2N 83.6W. This centre is very near Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua, and appears to be heading east towards the coast. This is the first time i have seen this system have a definite circulation centre on imagery.

Does any one else see it?

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

houstontrakker

Reged:
Loc: Spring, TX
      #359 - Sat May 25 2002 09:15 PM

TEST

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
      #360 - Sat May 25 2002 10:38 PM

90L... well it still has an apparent circulation, that appears to have now moved off the coast of Guatemala near Puerto Cabezas. The centre is now located over the NW Caribbean, and the convection continues to fire up both to the east of the centre over open water, and also over land to the west. There is still potential for this disturbance to organise if it can hold together.

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #361 - Sat May 25 2002 10:55 PM

Several of the model runs are now leaving a piece of energy back in the SW Caribbean - possibly a different low pressure. Many of the others bring a low just south or east of Florida in the 72-120 hour period. The AVN from a few days ago picked up the convectoin just to the west of Florida today. My favoirte right now is the GFDL

http://www.essc.psu.edu/rhart-cgi-bin/gfdltc2.cgi?time=2002052512-one01e&field=Sea+Level+Pressure&hour=120hr

--------------------

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #362 - Sat May 25 2002 10:56 PM

Oops. Forgot to mention that I didn't buy it, but that I was still likin it.

Steve

--------------------

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
      #363 - Sat May 25 2002 11:08 PM

18z Surface Analysis is out. It has dropped the new low near the Turks and Caicos, but still maintains the Low (90L) near the coast of Guatemala / Nicaragua. It moves it very slightly to the south east and drops the pressure to 1008 mb. I am enjoying watching this disturbance, it seems to want to not go away, but it does not want to develop! Certainly keeping me interested before the real season kicks in.

Any way, hope i am not bothering anyone by keeping on bout this system, but hey it does have a chance, even if it is very slim!

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Rad
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
      #367 - Sun May 26 2002 12:19 AM

Dont bother me Rich, Keep pushin on !!

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Nice touch Rad
      #369 - Sun May 26 2002 01:34 AM

with the American flag displayed out to the left...

"Proud to be an American cause at least I know I'm free"

Back to the tropics for tonight... zzzzzzzzzz

IR not impressive at all right now with only some light convection in the Bahamas and north of Cuba but nothing really deep except a small convection area west of Jamaica.

Area Rich has been monitoring very diligently today has no real convection over water, some deep convection over land however.

Rad
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete Fl. {27.8N 82.7W}
Re: Nice touch Rad
      #370 - Sun May 26 2002 01:53 AM

Thank's Frank, I figured only fitting this weekend . ...................ALL GAVE SOME ..AND SOME GAVE ALL.

--------------------
RIDE 2 LIVE 2 RIDE

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks All!
      #371 - Sun May 26 2002 03:48 AM

Thanks to all who made compliments....that was great that you rememebered!

I do have my e-mail addy in my profile, so if I'm not around and you guys have a question or need me, feel FREE to shoot me an e-mail!

Here is to a great '02 season!

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Anonymous
Unregistered

tonight, tonight..
      #372 - Sun May 26 2002 06:51 AM

now the apparent focus for a low is between jamaica and cape gracias a dios. the particular spot doesnt look all that bad as far as shear. convection is sort of slowly pivoting about it, not really going all that crazy, but it has that stewing look to it as opposed to convection bursting under shear striving to hold steady. all we need is for convection to begin in earnest now...
well, been waiting for days. if this joker does anything it will be on its on time.
by the way bastardi talks about another window in ten to fifteen or so. might as well, this season was supposed to start early. and i guessed july for a first storm.. looks like such a bad call now.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: tonight, tonight..
      #373 - Sun May 26 2002 09:08 AM

Ok, i am back... the advantage of being 5 hours ahead of most of you.... well it is difficult to really see any evidence of the low on current IR Satellite imagery, so i guess i will have to wait for the visible light imagery to come out in a couple of hours. According to NHC the low is still near the coast of nicaragua / honduras with a central pressure of 1008 mb. Well if that is the case the nearest convection is well to the east over open water... oh well, roll on visible imagery to see if i can right this area off! I see NRL are still keeping it as an asctive invest though!

Rich

StormWarn2000

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 19327

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center