F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
The Isuzu [Re: Kent]
      #28499 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:10 AM

>>> Remember the guys from last night that watched their Izuzu fill up with water?

They are down by the Gulf looking for it now......

Damn, that wasn't cheap either...Lowes better not start jacking up the price of plywood to cover that loss...surprised they didn't park it on the I-10 bridge.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spazz
Unregistered

Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: richisurfs]
      #28500 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:10 AM

All righty man............it be cool then..........what is the largest wave you did in Japan? sorry Phil but I am curious to go off topic.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: FrankP Update [Re: danielw]
      #28501 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:11 AM

Good Luck, Now- what is going to happen with Jeanne? I presume we must wait until Saturday AM to get the latest trended track; no wonder many shutters are still up in the Fort Pierce area.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: FrankP Update [Re: danielw]
      #28502 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:12 AM

Danny,

Frank P. is fine...he posted several times earlier today...as for the others...not sure. But since Jav lives 2 blocks away from Frank, he's probably OK too.

EDIT: Here's my take on the off-topic stuff...after people have gone thru what most on this board have been thru...NOTHING'S OFF TOPIC...sometime talking about something OTHER than the next potential monster helps people deal...there's gonna be an awful lot of PTS (or whatever it's called) Post-Traumatic Stress Syndrome...

As long as you don't curse or attack, I'm letting it all stay up...talk away.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 17 2004 12:17 AM)

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Jeanne [Re: Rabbit]
      #28503 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:17 AM

Ok, finally took an actual look at Jeanne. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the concentric circles represent increasing isobars towards the center? Wouldn't this show a high pressure area near the eastern edge of Florida/Atlantic ocean. If that is true, why exactly is this storm going up the east coast? Maybe I have no idea what this graph is representing....
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/winds/wg8dlm6.html

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: SHOWDOWN TIME [Re: Spazz]
      #28504 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:18 AM

Phil...I'll go off topic this one last time to answer Spazz's question. The waves over there are similiar to here in that they are wind swell generated mostly from local storms and not the long distance ground swells that California or Hawaii gets. The waves I rode on the Sunday before that last typhoon hit that I spoke of, which was on a monday nite, were a solid 6ft. and good. Now back to Jeanne.

Richie, check my last post (I edited it)...it's cool right now...

Edited by richisurfs (Fri Sep 17 2004 12:24 AM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: article on new models, and improved forecasting. [Re: Keith234]
      #28505 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:19 AM

No, that's not me writing those discussions.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Jeanne [Re: Terra]
      #28506 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:19 AM

There is a high there
Ivan is moving east, and pushing the high east, and is what is going to pull Jeanne to the north while it is in the Atlantic

Spazz
Unregistered

#28507 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:22 AM

It be a waiting game between now and Monday.......2 to see just how far north this baby goes.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
      #28508 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:22 AM

Quote:

There is a high there
Ivan is moving east, and pushing the high east, and is what is going to pull Jeanne to the north while it is in the Atlantic

Ok, I get it... Thanks. The water vapor wasn't very helpful to me since Ivan takes up so much area. I wish those wind diagrams came in loops.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #28509 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:23 AM

If there has been a trend this season, it has been coast hugging and bouncing storms.

--------------------
Jim

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: The Isuzu [Re: LI Phil]
      #28510 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:23 AM

Do you think the Isuzu had anything to do with the I-10 bridge getting knocked out? I did see a pic of a truck on the bridge, at the hole!

meto
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28511 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:23 AM

a high is going to build in.

Spazz
Unregistered

#28512 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:25 AM

It is fun to watch the surfers..........too bad I am scared of sharks and whatever else be prowling around. Never been to Cali.............I imagine surfer's paradise since I don't think they get hurricanes right?

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: JB vs the NHC [Re: LI Phil]
      #28513 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:25 AM

So if Ivan's #2, that means the top 2 tornado-producing hurricanes would both have come from this season -- Frances is number one.

Sheesh. What a season.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Spazz
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne [Re: Rasvar]
      #28514 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:28 AM

Remember though something I learned on TWC....should this baby do the groove on our FL east coast that her more dangerous NW quad will be not facing us.. All bets are off on that protection should she turn in and there goes my power again for time number 3.

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28515 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:28 AM

No hurricanes...although I seem to remember a few years back one developed off Mexico and actually was threatening souhtern Cali. Never hit though...does anyone else remember that?They get earthquakes though...I don't know whats worse.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: The Isuzu [Re: danielw]
      #28516 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:30 AM

Danny,

>>> Do you think the Isuzu had anything to do with the I-10 bridge getting knocked out? I did see a pic of a truck on the bridge, at the hole!

LOL! No, I was cracking wise...perhaps not the best time to do so...it just amazes me what people will do to try to get a story...someone last night said it's going to take a piece of sheet metal going thru a reporter during a live feed to make the networks rethink their policy of reporting live from a storm from such dangerous locations. In the case of the hurricanetrack.com vehicle (the Isuzu), it was loaded with a bunch of sensitive hurricane recording data...as it has been in past storms...and "anchored" to the ground...no one was in the vehicle of course...you had to figure that at some point they'd park the vehicle just a little too close to the danger zone...I haven't checked the website, but I'm guessing that's what's happened here.

As for the tractor trailor on the bridge, I offered my theory earlier today...it stalled or something, and the driver bolted...I cannot imagine that they would permit a vehicle like that to CROSS the bridge with winds that would surely blow it over the side...someone said the cab and driver are in the water...sure hope not...it was just such a riviting shot (photograph) I tried to equate the Lowe's Isuzu placement with the semi on the bridge...didn't do it too well, I guess.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #28517 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:30 AM

Oh yeah..they also get terrible fires..another thing that you can't really say what is worse

Spazz
Unregistered

#28518 - Fri Sep 17 2004 12:31 AM

You seen Rush Hour? A hurricane would seriously put a lot of LA on the history channel............so many hills in one place and they aint those little mole hills like in the panhandle either.

I heard about the Northridge quake of 94, was living in Chi-town at the time.....man was I greatful to not be living out there..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58384

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center