F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: scottsvb]
      #29250 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:19 PM

Clueless,,,the models have been showing a loop. Also there is a strong ridge building now over the eastern U.S. Circulation around this ridge is clockwise so since the remenents are on the east side it will go south then sw then w ,,,just like clock work.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
thank you neil frank [Re: FelixPuntaGorda]
      #29251 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:23 PM

because i was a small girl down here in miami while he reinged as hurricane king and he drove home the point constantly to the point where at times he was treated by cynics like chicken little pointing to storm surge but he was right.. it was always his big deal, his biggest concern that people living along the coast realize the danger of storm surge.

So... as much as i love hurricanes, love to track them, am in awe of their beauty on the satellite, afraid of their power which is akin to nuclear bombs being dropped at landfall of such a strong storm...

I am never unaware that a storm surge can wash it all away in any given big storm.

And..if I ever did live on the water.. I would do it knowing that in an instant, in a once in a lifetime storm surge it could all be washed away.

This is a great site..so are others like hurricanecity that specializes in education and many online... but most of all I am happy I was never given any false sense of security that buildings built along the shore or near the shore cant be washed away in a strong storm.

Remember the night before Andrew driving around Miami Beach taking one last look because I thought after Andrew Miami Beach would look like Sullivans Island after Hugo or those beautiful white sand beaches after Ivan.

Glad people can be informed here.. really glad cause Neil is no longer running the show at NHC screaming Storm Surge, Storm Surge and maybe someone should be.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
Re: Just don't get Jeanne [Re: clueless]
      #29252 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:23 PM

Weather Underground has a nice model summary, showing a few of the most recent runs of the stronger models. While they do spread all over the place, they are consistent in that they bring Jeanne North and East for the time being, befor the high swings down behind Ivan and kicks it back to the west (you can see this clearly in the NOGAPS and UKMET runs, and to a different extent on the other models). Since there's only two days at this point that the models agree on, that's the only thing the NHC is forecasting with any confidence (which explains the 'blob of uncertainty' for the 4-5 day positions).

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Just don't get Jeanne [Re: leetdan]
      #29253 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:28 PM

Speaking of time frames, what's the time frame on the loop heading Jeanne back to Florida. My kitten has a Vet appointment for Thursday morning this week to have her social standing removed.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
      #29254 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:34 PM

Has Ivan made it back to sea? If a hurricane starts as an area of storm activity over warm water, then Ivan really could become reenergized?

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #29255 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:34 PM

The NHC must be pulling hair, I would. They have it doing loops, prob. the hardest thing to do on a 5 day forecast map they may need a bigger eraser. The model runs from weather underground look like lines to me, that's why I like to see the storm actually moving and where the wind and rain take place. I have been noticing that models have been developing the right side more than the left, when you look up close at a fine-mesh model. I think they associate greater wind speed with a stronger rain and a lower pressure when it is really just the foward motion created by the motion of the storm. Unless I am totally wrong and models just like to develop the right side of hurricanes more then the left.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: What's behind Karl? [Re: Keith234]
      #29256 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:39 PM

Just happened to notice it a little while ago probably nothing staying strong on the convection side thou.

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: StormHound]
      #29257 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:41 PM

Thank you, StormHound. I never thought I would say that I'm glad we faced Charley, but now that I've seen Ivan's destruction, I am so thankful to be here in Punta Gorda. We are still facing huge piles of debris, which is depressing. There aren't many signs of rebuilding yet. But it will happen.

Our Emergency Director here, Wayne Sallade, always preaches storm surge, along with keeping the wind out of your home. Most of Punta Gorda is at 12 feet elevation or less, I believe. Being at the top of Charlotte Harbor, I don't think we'd have the waves to deal with. But surge alone would be enough.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: FelixPuntaGorda]
      #29258 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:44 PM

Felix - where are you in Punta Gorda? Our Collier County EM Director, Dan Summers, also preaches surge and has made everyone aware of it and its consequences. We were spared because Charley was a "small" (though extremely powerful) storm in comparison to Frances and Ivan.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #29259 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:46 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZ out of soo much frustration over the last 3 years I had to email Gary Gray and tell him hes not doing a good forecasting job and had to give him a few tips on the dynamics of the overall pattern envirioment which would support different models and consistancys. I mean I told him his posts on summering the model runs are nice but his forecasts need adjustments instead of guesses. Oh well I wont go into detail.

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: KC]
      #29260 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:46 PM

I'm in Punta Gorda Isles, on a canal, about 1/4 mile from the harbor. Our house is at 9.5 feet.

Terri
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: Frank P]
      #29261 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:47 PM

Quote:

thanks redbird, me and my two bassets weathered the storm just fine, I think they slept through the whole thing..... and I really appreciate your concern,, and also the great information that I got from the board during my "to evacuate, or not to evacuate" ordeal.... it was just fantastic support

For what it's worth, Frank, I got down on my knees and prayed for all of you folks that would surely be affected by Ivan. What else can a person do but that? Glad to hear that you and your bassets made it through the storm unscathed. Normally I lurk at this site because you fine folks are talking way over my head, but hey, I'm learning and quickly, too!. I am in complete awe of ALL of your skills, truly. Hopefully, one day in the not too distant future I'll be able to speak the lingo and understand it, as well. This hurricane season has been the strangest that I can recall in my 40+ years young. I certainly hope Joe B is wrong about the projected path of Jeanne because I'm going to get nailed if he's right. No doubt about the fact that Jeanne is a woman, though. She's as unpredictable as the rest of us. LOL Also, thank you for your mail welcoming me, Frank. I do appreciate it. I do hope that the check I just mailed to Mike will somehow help to keep this site up and running and aid in procuring any upgrades that may be needed. I count on you guys and gals to post possible scenarios. It really does help me to plan my course of action, should your predictions come true. Here's a big thanks from me to all of you. Being 100 feet from the Ogeechee River's edge, located on a small island, and being 10 minutes from the ocean "as the crow flies", I'm watching this unpredictable Lady Jeanne carefully.

Edited by Terri (Sun Sep 19 2004 04:00 PM)

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
      #29262 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:52 PM

The company I work for is getting ready to open a sales office at the end of West Marion and had a food tent, so I was there a few times. How did you fare? I also wish I had found this site before Charley.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: Terri]
      #29263 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:52 PM

Ok Jeanne getting alot better organized at the surface. The circulation is alot better defined and she now has nice outflow in 3 of the 4 quardrents. If this continues she could be up to 60-70mph by later tonight if she organzies more convection around the center. Movement continues to be around 355dg. Recon will be there in a couple hours and will give us a update on the pressure. I do believe they will find her a bit stronger at the least. Not sure though if the report will be out by the 2pm update but will by 5pm.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: scottsvb]
      #29264 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:54 PM

ZZZZz no 2pm update as they were droped, so 5pm update they will adjust her with the recon.

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: KC]
      #29265 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:55 PM

KC, we can PM each other if you set your account to accept private messages.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Forecasting fun with Jeanne [Re: Terri]
      #29266 - Sun Sep 19 2004 03:55 PM

Thankyou for your compliments on everyone. The GA coast doesn't normally get hit with storms because of the way it's shaped, it's indentured and the only way you could get a direct hit is if the hurricane was pointed at a straight line to you. Best of wishes in all your endeavors!

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

clueless
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #29267 - Sun Sep 19 2004 04:00 PM

wow the models I was looking at were from BoatUs and they are all pretty straight - apparently not the most up to doat place to check

Make that up to DATE

Thank you all for your help - just trying to get a clue little by little

Edited by clueless (Sun Sep 19 2004 04:03 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #29268 - Sun Sep 19 2004 04:07 PM

Convection is firing up all around the storm, outflow has become more pronounced and is the storm is rapidly strengthing and the shear has decreasd, we will be back in hurricane status today if this continues.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #29269 - Sun Sep 19 2004 04:09 PM

Scottsvb,

Look at this WV Loop, what do you think that ridge will do to Jeanne's current northward movement?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 75339

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center