F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 249 (Idalia) , Major: 249 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 249 (Idalia) Major: 249 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
LanceW

Reged:
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30324 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:52 PM

Has Jim Cantore from TWC shown up yet? When he does, we will all know where she is heading..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CarolinaGurl
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Wilmington/Kure Beach, NC
Re: Steering Currents [Re: clyde w.]
      #30325 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, check out this link:

NHC Floater

Add in the forecast plot points. Do you get a due west storm into Lake Okechobee as a Cat 3!?!?!?! Did I just get a preview of the 5:00 forecast??

The image shifts to the left but the tracks stay where they were. Its a mistake.

--------------------
My Storms - Hugo, Bertha, Bonnie, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene. Arthur

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: Steering Currents [Re: LI Phil]
      #30326 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:54 PM

does that mean the she should maybe go south again?

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Steering Currents [Re: LanceW]
      #30327 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Has Jim Cantore from TWC shown up yet? When he does, we will all know where she is heading..

I think he just made reservations for Palm Beach International.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #30328 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:55 PM

My brother's girlfriend works at TWC...just got the job a couple of weeks ago. I'll email her and ask her if JC has left the building.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Steering Currents [Re: schmoo]
      #30329 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:58 PM

>>> Is the what would turn her north as opposed to going west? I don't see anything in FL that would keep her from going across the state if that upper area keeps pushing south.

Well, all things being equal, it wouldn't. The ridge is what is going to keep Jeanne moving mostly west for the next 24 hours. However, the ridge is forecasted to lift, which will allow Jeanne to begin the northward turn...timing is everything.

I'll be putting out my forecast (more of a guesscast) within the next hour...unfortunately it will be a CAT III strike in the middle of the state . More to follow.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: Steering Currents [Re: LI Phil]
      #30330 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:19 PM

Quote:

>>> Is the what would turn her north as opposed to going west? I don't see anything in FL that would keep her from going across the state if that upper area keeps pushing south.

key is that the ridge is forecast to lift...i think that forecast is going to be revised a bit...i think scotts landfall looks good.

Well, all things being equal, it wouldn't. The ridge is what is going to keep Jeanne moving mostly west for the next 24 hours. However, the ridge is forecasted to lift, which will allow Jeanne to begin the northward turn...timing is everything.

I'll be putting out my forecast (more of a guesscast) within the next hour...unfortunately it will be a CAT III strike in the middle of the state . More to follow.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
      #30331 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:28 PM

alot of the resorts/hotels have gone to shuting power off before the storm hits.

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
      #30332 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:29 PM

Colleen what do you think of Accuweather's latest track?

LanceW

Reged:
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Redbird]
      #30333 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:35 PM

Well, I for one don't like it. This would once again put the eye of the storm over my house. Charley went over, and Frances just missed to the south, by about 20 miles or so. (The eye that is.) Three is definately a crowd here...

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #30334 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:37 PM

Eeek gads Lance you must live in one of those inland counties. I don't like any track that touches land. I had Frances go right over my place and smash a window.......not cool as we were up north.

tartan
Unregistered

Re: Steering Currents [Re: Fletch]
      #30337 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:42 PM

Irwin:

If you check you wil see that Hurricane Bob was September 19, 1991 not 1985. I know because I lost a boat in that one. Name has been retired.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #30338 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:42 PM

1 thing I really dont like alot about the Accuweather from the midatlantic site is that they usually talk about that region. I mean they should but if they want to go national on it then they should included most areas. They do you say? well like in many hurricanes this year they mention,,,It will hit a certain spot,,but then they concentrate up there in the midatlantic on how much rainfall they will get,,winds, etc. Even look at JBs post and video they talk mainly whats going to happen when it gets to the midatlantic states. Look at the current graphic from the link above on Accuweather. Its showing the monday thru weds chart path of Jeanne. I mean Il take the excuses that someone wants to give and yeah I do still like Accuweather, but they concentrate more on what they get then what the landfall areas will expect. Thats not good for national review in my opinion. If they want to stay regional they should keep it more of a regional aspect. Then again maybe thats what they do already? If so they shouldnt charge the public cause that reaches everyone, not just the midatlantic.....ok sorry had to rage on that.

ABWATCHER
Unregistered

Re: Steering Currents [Re: tartan]
      #30339 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:43 PM

There was also a Hurricane Bob in June of 1985.

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Steering Currents [Re: scottsvb]
      #30340 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:45 PM

Scott you told me what I was needing to know. I don't use the pay features but just the freebie hurricane center on their site. I notice a lot of what you are saying and I need to know how this is going to affect us down here since that is where I live. Thanks for the cliff notes on Accu.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Redbird]
      #30341 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:46 PM

If you want to pay for them its fine. I do for more insight and sat locations, etc. I mean they do theyre best but I feel they just need to concentrate more on the landfall affected areas. Other then that they do a good job.

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Ivan [Re: Redbird]
      #30342 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:48 PM

You'll have to excuse me for taking the attention away from Jeanne for a minute as I know she is of major concern to those in Florida, but we may end up having a pretty serious problem with Ivan here in Texas before it is all said and done. Not with wind but rain. I was unaware of what the official track was until now. This could be setting up as a major flood event...ala Allison. With the potential stall or even SW movement of Ivan after making landfall we could be seeing some excessive amounts of rain. The local mets are talking maybe 20+ inches in some areas. I will most certainly be praying for all of you that WILL get effected by Jeanne(Florida especially) and I just ask that you all pray for us here in Texas as well as those in LA. I doubt that here in Pearland we will see that much rain but somebody around these parts could.

Thanks and be safe!

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Steering Currents [Re: scottsvb]
      #30343 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:48 PM

For now their freebie service works although that might change and I may upgrade. Do you think there is much chance of their current track playing out?

lawgator
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: E C Fla.
Floater Images [Re: LanceW]
      #30344 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:51 PM

I have been watching the floater IR loop of Jeanne and it sure seems to me that in the last 3 hours there is a pronounced northerly component to her movement right as she hits 70W. More NW than W. Seems too prolonged and substantial for a "jog." Also, when I watch the water vapor loop on the Atlantic basin, it sure seems that there is a break in that ridge, albeit it more to the NE of Jeanne than to the W. Wonder if she might be taking advantage of that small weakness to move a little more northerly than expected.

I have been a member forever, but usually just watch what all you gurus have to say as I am surely a novice at this. And, maybe I am engaging in some wishful thinking to steer this back out to sea and away from my first house (buy a house in June and wham -- two hurricanes come already). But, wonder if anyone else thinks there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for us in C. Fla. (and not the headlight of an oncoming train).

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

Re: Steering Currents [Re: jlauderdal]
      #30345 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:52 PM

Check out the closeup WV Floater loops... forward progress seems to have stalled with the eye straddling Long 70... maybe even a jog to the north on the last few frames, unless my aging eyeballs are fooling me... now that would fly in the face of the models for sure.

AdmittedHacker

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40476

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center