F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #30773 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

NRL's "rounded" track has been updated with the 5 am advisory:
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/04_ATL_11L.JEANNE_ssmi_gif_full.html

While this is probably a good depiction and maybe even a 'better' depiction of her path, it *is* still bringing the eyewall too close for comfort to E Orlando which has already had a direct hit of the Charley eye-wall and puts the East Eye wall right over the coast, also areas that suffered so badly with Frances. NONE of these depictions can depict the misery and costs and yes, even loss of life of the real thing.. None of the lines on this map can depict what it will feel like (or does for earlier storm victims) how it feels to return to a pile of rubble instead of a home. And it isn't *just* Orlando even though it is home to me, it is much of an entire state that is suffering again, psychologically now, physically this weekend.

Remember, these lines, curved or not represent an approximate center of an *area* of fear and uncertainty and pain and misery and of lives changed.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL]
      #30774 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:23 AM

Corrected... on third cup of coffee ;-)

SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Deerfield Beach
Re: Jeanne [Re: scottsvb]
      #30775 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:24 AM

Good Mornin all!
Scott has your forecast changed at all from yesterday afternoon as far as a landfall between pompano bch and jupiter?
Thanks,
Kathy

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: recmod]
      #30776 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:25 AM

Quote:

Those Skeetobite maps are awesome..BUT>>>>. don't place emphasis on linking a straight line from one forecast point to the next. The hurricane center themselves cautioned against this:
Quote from the 5pm discussion:
"USERS ARE CAUTIONED TO NOT FOCUS ON THE SPECIFIC FORECAST POINTS
DUE TO FORECAST UNCERTAINTY...THE LARGE SIZE OF THE HURRICANE...AND
BECAUSE JEANNE COULD TAKE A MORE ROUNDED PATH NEAR LANDFALL THAN
IMPLIED BY SIMPLY CONNECTING THE 48 AND 72 HOUR FORECAST POINTS"

This would make a landfall MUCH further south on the Florida coast than the apparent St Augustine strike as viewed on Skeetobite's map (possibly the Melbourne area, followed by a scrape up the coast ala David in 1979)

--Lou

Updated with curved path. Will continue to refine the tracks. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Full size available at www.skeetobite.com/weather

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Jeanne [Re: SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL]
      #30777 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:31 AM

he was up so late last night you probably wont hear from him until atleast noon or so. I saw multiple posts between 12;00 last night up until 2:30 ish in the a.m. I read most of them and it kinda sounded like he was still sticking to his forecast track from yesterday afternoon. go to your search page and under find members type in scottsvb it will show you all his posts with the last one being first. Hes really good.

SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Deerfield Beach
Re: Jeanne [Re: 52255225]
      #30778 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:37 AM

Thanks....his forecast puts Jeanne right in my front door

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: COgal]
      #30779 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

I have read over and over again how the models have been consistently right biased.......
Is there truth to that and if so does anyone think it will affect THIS track?

Yes, there is truth to that. Most of the previous storms this hear have been 'adjusted' repeatedly to the West because the models and forecasts based in part upon those models are biased 'right' or East. This is why there is a lot of movement of the track to the left. When the actual track is known, the models are 'reprogrammed' with better data regarding current conditions and they spit out new lines, often left of their previous lines. The NHC, uses those lines as a guide to their own lines and draw their lines further left.

As the lines get shorter (closer to the real position), the lines usually don't have to be moved much and have less bias. I guess what I'm saying here is the lines just depict *guesses* and the guesses are often skewed to the right because the computer guesses are based upon a combination of incomplete or even incorrect data coupled with our lack of understanding of how nature really works and our programmers, who write the model software), inability to translate what we *do* know into a form that computers can 'understand'.

So, yes, they are biased and yes, it will affect this and future forecast track estimates. The track itself, the real one doesn't know or care about our forecasts. Nature laughs, jogs, meanders "bombs" and races acording to her own rules.

--------------------
Richard

Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Jeanne [Re: SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL]
      #30780 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:43 AM

Lets hope hes off a little, but from what Ive seen from him lately with all the canes hes been pretty accurate. Im very curious to see what course she takes after landfall. Weve been pretty darn lucky over in the Tampa Bay area so far.Good luck to you!

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: Ricreig]
      #30781 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:47 AM

One thing I have noticed is that NHC says NOGAPS (and to a lesser extent, UKMET) consistently seem to be moving these storms too fast. Is that a flaw within the models themselves, or simply the data they are programmed with?

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #30782 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:49 AM

Quote:

Updated with curved path. Will continue to refine the tracks. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Skeetobite....your maps are and continue to improve from 'dammed good' to 'awesomely great' but I hope you have liability insurance.... Someone is going to sue you for 'moving' the hurricane from the coast to 'right over my house'!

Thanks for all of your efforts, they really do help people better understand the potential effects of this and other storms, upon them. Your maps better depict and encourage the perception of an AREA rather than a point or line as it pertains to the storm(s) you depict.

Your abilities continue to develop and I see you now understand about arc segments and not just line segments <grin> Good show!

--------------------
Richard

Ricreig
User

Reged:
      #30783 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Corrected... on third cup of coffee ;-)

...and how many No-Doze?

--------------------
Richard

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: Some Humor You Can't Refuse [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30784 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:53 AM

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Colleen, now let's blow Jeanne out to sea.

Weather Guru

Reged:
      #30785 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:53 AM

Thanks for all of your efforts, they really do help people better understand the potential effects of this and other storms, upon them. Your maps better depict and encourage the perception of an AREA rather than a point or line as it pertains to the storm(s) you depict.

Your abilities continue to develop and I see you now understand about arc segments and not just line segments <grin> Good show!

I second that! hes doing an awesome job!!

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #30786 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

Yeah - tweak those bezier points a bit - if you're not using Photoshop's vector shape layers, you should be

Of course, every update brings it closer to a Melbourne landfall - I'm none to thrilled with Jeanne about that.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: 52255225]
      #30787 - Fri Sep 24 2004 11:58 AM

I do not claim to be a "Weather Guru" or anything like that, but I just don't see how jeane will turn north with what I see on the water vapor loop.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Jeanne Track [Re: MissBecky]
      #30788 - Fri Sep 24 2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

One thing I have noticed is that NHC says NOGAPS (and to a lesser extent, UKMET) consistently seem to be moving these storms too fast. Is that a flaw within the models themselves, or simply the data they are programmed with?

I think it is a combination of both. I don't program for a living anymore, but program bugs, incomplete or incorrect data, transcription errors, malfunctioning equipment, and a whole bunch more coupled with a real lack of knowledge by both the mets and the programmers understanding of all of the realities of nature, all combine to make errors.

The models you mentioned often don't 'understand' the effects of future changes in the strength speed of change and location of data asssociated with distant but significant ridges and troughs often hundreds or even thousands of miles distant. Some do better with the future, some do great for near-term events, some do fine with 'normal' weather but as the storm gets stronger, perform poorly.

For these reasons and more, we have to look at the whole bunch of models and apply our own experience, training and common sense using the models as a tool like a mechanic uses a wrench or screwdriver....the models by themselves are useless in the same way that a wrench can't fix a car, but as a tool, both are valuable in the hands of a skilled person.

--------------------
Richard

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
      #30790 - Fri Sep 24 2004 12:04 PM

FYI: over the years I have learned to rely less and less on water vapor images. I used to follow them all the time but learned they are very misleading. But, that is just my observation.

Weather Guru

Reged:
      #30791 - Fri Sep 24 2004 12:04 PM

me either! It might not! We should know more late this afternoon. Depends on speed of the cane etc etc. 8;00 update says its still on a continued westerly track but has shifted the cone a little to the east.

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
      #30792 - Fri Sep 24 2004 12:08 PM

Thank you, Richard. It's tempting to rely on the models too much, when there are so many uncertainties. There is a certain relief at being able to point to a line on a map and say, "There. It's going there." But in reality that line is just a guidance, and not gospel truth, and it's easy to forget that.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
      #30794 - Fri Sep 24 2004 12:11 PM

Quote:

I do not claim to be a "Weather Guru" or anything like that, but I just don't see how jeane will turn north with what I see on the water vapor loop.

While water vapor loops do help visualize where the highs and lows and wind patterns are, it is often what you can't see that has the greatest effect. First, the high pressure areas often have complex shapes that are invisible in the WV loops mostly because High Pressure areas are often dry and contain little moisture making them 'invisible'. Secondly, WV loops are based upon data on the amount of water in the upper atmosphere unlike the visible and IR images which tend to be visualizations of reflected energy from much lower levels of the atmosphere. As hurricanes are affected more by mid-levels of the atmosphere, the WV loops often do not predict the real movers of hurricane weather. It is just one more good tool for use in forecasting, but by itself, it doesn't tell the whole story.

--------------------
Richard

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16240

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center