F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: Change the attention for a just a second [Re: LI Phil]
      #30984 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:17 PM

So do you think it will not turn and stay west all the way?

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
WV Loops [Re: LI Phil]
      #30985 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:17 PM

Oh, Phil...I'm with you on that one. I do NOT like what I see. That northern door is about to get slammed shut. And to the north of Jeanne, it's STARTING to push her even FASTER westward.

I think the increase in forward speed has begun.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Change the attention for a just a second [Re: LI Phil]
      #30986 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:19 PM

Quote:

While the ridge continues to pound down on Jeanne and keep her moving west...her own outflow is preventing the trof from sliding further east...

Damn wv...I don't like what I'm seeing in terms of any recurvature in the next 48 hours...

Maybe a real met could tell me I'm wrong (and I hope to hell I am).

Phil, IF this turns out to be meaningful, and it may be, it just moves the track away from the Central East coast. This won't help Stuart or Ft Pierce and PB much, but it might mitigate the damage in the more Northern coastal towns. C'ant win for losing. I hate being spared at the expense of others, but I do appreciate being spared! BUT, it is still just a forecast until it happens so it remains a question for all of us. For now, I'm forced to assume the NHC viewpoint is what I need to plan for and pray it is just another exercise to find a place to put all of the several hundreds of dollars worth of non-perishable food that tastes like yuk and that even the cat refuses to eat, but doesn't rot.....unfortunately.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Arcadia, FL
SFWMD Models [Re: Ricreig]
      #30987 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:19 PM

Could some one please post the link for the model tracks from SFWMD? The one I have is for Ivan and I can't get back to the link for Jeanne. Help!

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: my heart belongs to superman but... [Re: Kent]
      #30988 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:19 PM

Kent---if it keeps moving the way it is, I would expect to see some kind of watch/warnings for your area. It would be foolish not to do it, especially after you look at that WV loop that Phil posted.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: WV Loops [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30989 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:20 PM

I'm saying no such thing...all I am saying is that to my untrained eye (I pretty much ignore models...you can just look at the atmosphere and see what's going on, once you know what to look for), I can see no reason for any northward turn for a while...

The WV loops can tell us a lot!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

luki
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: palm beach county
Re: Hits in a season [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30990 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:21 PM

up here mets arent really pinpointing a landfall location,just stressing that this one is gonna be way too close for comfort,and today and tomorrow prefebly today is the time to prepare,basically were being told this will be another Frances effect for us here in JAX only stronger

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Space Coast
Re: Article on Cantore [Re: LI Phil]
      #30991 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:21 PM

Hey Phil. Thanks for that article on Cantore. All I can say is WOW. I respect him all the more.

Actually, thanks go to Frank P. He originally posted the link. I just thought it was worth a repost!

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 24 2004 05:22 PM)

Earle
Unregistered

Re: Hits in a season [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30992 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Earle....thank you for that post. Why in the world they won't let it be seen is beyond me. But at least SOMEONE had the guts to put it into words, which is all we're asking for.

Colleen,

Your welcome. Hope I don't get the SC State Climatologist in trouble.

This link explains the proprietary nature of the model.
http://www.techtransfer.fsu.edu/showcase/weather.html
Briefly, an FSU researcher developed the model, the University patented it and then licensed it to a private company Weather Predict, Inc. The company either provides the model or model output for a fee and the University gets a royalty.

It's all about the money. Most likely the research that led to the development of the model was funded with public (i.e., taxpayers') money. Pretty common practice.

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: Ricreig]
      #30993 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:26 PM

Remember the reporter who was standing totally exposed to the elements during Francis so much so that she had to duck down and hang onto a post in order to not become a flying object? Her name is Jill Martin and she just reported that according to the Dolphins Headcoach Dave Wamstadt that the game is still on with the Steelers for Sunday at 1:00 in Miami......

What do they know that we don't? hmmmm....

Colleen A.

Reged:
Statement from Miami NWS @ 12 Noon [Re: Kent]
      #30994 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:27 PM

Kent...this is straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote:

...WATCHES AND WARNINGS...
A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE ATLANTIC COAST OF FLORIDA FROM ST. AUGUSTINE SOUTH TO FLORIDA CITY. THIS INCLUDES METRO PALM BEACH...BROWARD...AND MIAMI-DADE COUNTIES AS WELL AS THE CITIES OF WEST PALM BEACH...FORT LAUDERDALE...AND MIAMI. A HURRICANE WATCH
MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS...SUSTAINED WINDS GREATER THAN 73 MPH...ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN 36 HOURS. WARNINGS MAY BE ISSUED FOR A
PORTION OF THE WATCH AREA LATER TODAY.

That's probably what Bryan Norcross was talking about.

--------------------

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: Kent]
      #30995 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Remember the reporter who was standing totally exposed to the elements during Francis so much so that she had to duck down and hang onto a post in order to not become a flying object? Her name is Jill Martin and she just reported that according to the Dolphins Headcoach Dave Wamstadt that the game is still on with the Steelers for Sunday at 1:00 in Miami......

What do they know that we don't? hmmmm....

Dave Wanstedt knows only slightly less about the weather than he does football...

Ricky Williams may like to hit the hash pipe every now and then, but even he knew when it was time to bail...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Hits in a season [Re: Earle]
      #30996 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:30 PM

I don't think you'll get him in trouble...if he posted it somewhere that you could copy it, than he is probably okay.

I know it's "all about the money", that's what makes me so darned mad. We're talking about people's lives here, and the almight dollar is more important.

Ok, vented....(not directed at you by the way!) feel better, now I can go get some stuff done. Which I've been saying since 8:00am this morning.

--------------------

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Statement from Miami NWS @ 12 Noon [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30997 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:31 PM

I think this exerpt from the NHC sums up the forecast pretty well:

W PALM BEACH FL 1 20 3 X 24 PENSACOLA FL X X X 9 9
FT PIERCE FL X 20 4 1 25

Phil, you and your WV loop....now the NHC is starting to look at it!!!!

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: LI Phil]
      #30998 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:32 PM

ROFLOL...YOU CRACK ME UP!

--------------------

CocoaBeach
Unregistered

Eye having problems [Re: MikeC]
      #30999 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:33 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

You can see the eye is having problems,
There is not the firing of Thunderstorms at the core,
It looks like dry air has gotten entrained in the center.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Track [Re: LI Phil]
      #31000 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:34 PM

Hey Phil,

This is what I said very early this a.m.
Quote:

I remember Andrew and for 2 straight days they said it will turn WNW or NW. Andrew instead took a western beeline and stayed between 25.3 and 25.8 for 66 straight hours. Why? Steeered by the strong high pressure to its north. Today, we also have a strong high pressure to the north of Jeanne. This storm could just keep going west, maybe WNW and not make what is looking more and more as too sharp a turn to the right.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Statement from Miami NWS @ 12 Noon [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31001 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:35 PM

Coleen,
eeewww. your probably right...

and Richard:
... as far as that "exercise to find a place to put all of the several hundreds of dollars worth of non-perishable food that tastes like yuk and that even the cat refuses to eat, but doesn't rot..."

Can I seriously suggest Haiti?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Track [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #31002 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:35 PM

Quote:

Hey Phil,

This is what I said very early this a.m.
Quote:

I remember Andrew and for 2 straight days they said it will turn WNW or NW. Andrew instead took a western beeline and stayed between 25.3 and 25.8 for 66 straight hours. Why? Steeered by the strong high pressure to its north. Today, we also have a strong high pressure to the north of Jeanne. This storm could just keep going west, maybe WNW and not make what is looking more and more as too sharp a turn to the right.

And it is even more prescient now...

Where's the Dolphin avatar?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

CocoaBeach
Unregistered

Re: Statement from Miami NWS @ 12 Noon [Re: Ricreig]
      #31003 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:35 PM

It's the same numbers as Frances had. WPB and CB are the same or it runs WPD FP and then CB
Almost exactly as Frances

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50776

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center