F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Pam in Vero
Unregistered

Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31044 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:25 PM

Sorry should have looked closer at your screen name

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: 18z UKMET [Re: AgentB]
      #31045 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:29 PM

Now are these not the runs that were mentioned in the 11:00am discussion for running with the ridge in the wrong initial position?

--------------------
Jim

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Model Runs [Re: scottsvb]
      #31046 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:30 PM

This was interesting: Tom Terry (Channel 9 in Orlando) had a 2pm update and said he's throwing out the GFS/GFDL model because it moves the storm too slowly. UKMET shifted a little to the NE but I don't know where NOGAPS is at right this second.
Then, on TWC, they showed an interesting graphic which was displayed at "JEANNE'S IMPACTS" and the OCM moved it all the way up through the state of Florida and had it making the turn to the NW in GEORGIA. Don't know what they know, but there wasn't any "hugging the coastline" look there at all.

Kent....Polk County schools (as of right now) have not made a decision as to whether schools will be closed on Monday. I find this somewhat odd as the HS across the street from me is a SHELTER. I guess they are waiting until the 5pm update. It's just odd because people have to evacuate tomorrow and for the past 3 hurricanes, they closed the schools almost 72 hours in advance. Just my wandering mind pondering this's and that'is'.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Vladimirr
Unregistered

Re: 18z UKMET [Re: Sadie]
      #31047 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the SWFMD graphic. Could you please post the link?

I have searched and searched for a link, all I have for now is the URL to that picture which is updated every time they get their data

I found the graphic on some other site (can't remember which), and followed it to its source, but no luck as to an actual page that it's located on.

Colleen A.

Reged:
POLK COUNTY SCHOOLS [Re: Rasvar]
      #31048 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:33 PM

I just read a press release from the PC School Board website saying that SCHOOLS WILL BE OPEN ON MONDAY, but they will monitor the hurricane over the weekend.

Worried about losing more school days? Where the heck are people in mobile homes supposed to go? ACK.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

AmoryBl
Unregistered

Re: Model Runs [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31049 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:34 PM

The state is really after the schools to offer all 180 days even with the situation we have had this fall. I think after schools were cancelled for Ivan on Friday, they are taking a more wait and see attitude. I wouldn't be surprised if Polk didn't make a final call until sometime Saturday.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: POLK COUNTY SCHOOLS [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31050 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:37 PM

Polk was burned by their early cancelation with Ivan. I think they will make an announcement this weekend to close if they have too.

--------------------
Jim

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Model Runs [Re: AmoryBl]
      #31051 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:38 PM

I suppose you're correct, and I thought that closing schools for Ivan was way premature, but now do they have to go the other EXTREME?
Just venting.

--------------------

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: 18z UKMET [Re: Rasvar]
      #31052 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:42 PM

I am not sure but the GFS Models seem to be all messed up. Too slow, they are weaking the ridge too fast, and the high continues to build west... Is it just me ? Maybe I am wishcasting.. NOT !!

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31053 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:42 PM

Here's what JB just opined:

"IN a worst case this trof split I am looking for could send the hurricane at 020 degrees from Saint Simon Island all the way to New England. How so. Well the first piece of the trof as usual is overdone, the second underdone, it phases and the storm hugs the coast."

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

ROB IN YORK PA
Unregistered

#31054 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:43 PM

Has anybody seen last 3 or 4 frames on visable and infrared. It looks like she is starting to get her act together again. I could be wrong being just an amateur but thats what it looks like to me.

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
      #31055 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:44 PM

yeah and I hope no Jewish people are in those motor homes. Many won't be listening to the news after sundown.

worrisome

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31056 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:45 PM

LI PHil is JB calling a landfall location yet? What is his opinion at the moment...which model is he favoring?

lois
Unregistered

everyone take care [Re: AgentB]
      #31057 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:47 PM

going off and going home to set things up there

wont be on much so....be nice to phil

everyone take care and be prepared

bobbi

think it hits further south btw.. my call..

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #31058 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:54 PM

Quote:

LI PHil is JB calling a landfall location yet? What is his opinion at the moment...which model is he favoring?

He didn't update his early morning forecast...it was a "Quickie Post" about Ivan (isn't he DEAD yet) and Jeanne's future AFTER florida...

Here are his coords from this morning...you can do the math:

Tonight, 8:00 p.m. eastern, 26.2,74.0 965 mb

Tomorrow evening, 26.8, 78.0 955 mb

Sunday evening, 28.0 81.0 965 mb

Monday evening, 33.0 79.5 970 mb

Tuesday evening, 38.5, 73.0 985 mb

Wednesday evening, 42.0, 65.0 985 mb

Personally I'm not real thrilled with that Tuesday evening locale.

I'm not a mathamagician but wouldn't his coords keep her off the florida coast?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #31059 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

From Accuweather Site

A more west-northwest track will occur toward the Florida coast on Saturday, then landfall may occur Sunday morning between Fort Lauderdale and Cape Canaveral, similar to where Hurricane Frances came ashore three weeks ago. If Jeanne were to make landfall near Fort Lauderdale, it would be very early Sunday morning. If the same occurred near Cape Canaveral, it may hold off until Sunday afternoon given the slope of the central coast. Jeanne could be a major category 3 hurricane at that time causing extensive wind damage and a storm surge of 6-10 feet near or north of landfall. From there, Jeanne will turn northwest across central Florida Sunday and may be capable of producing hurricane-force wind gusts across Orlando, Jacksonville and Savannah. Jeanne will weaken Sunday night and Monday as it tracks from northern Florida into the Carolinas, but will be still be very dangerous with possible flooding rains and wind damage. East of the track, severe weather is possible, including tornadoes. The latest forecast models have come into better agreement that Jeanne will move either along the east coast of Florida and towards the Carolinas, or inland across the Florida Peninsula and into the Southeast. However, the latest NOGAPS model tracks Jeanne across central Florida into the Gulf of Mexico and then into the Florida Panhandle. Residents of the Florida Panhandle to the Northeast should closely monitor the progress of this potentially devastating hurricane.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #31060 - Fri Sep 24 2004 06:58 PM

No she would be inland at 28 and 81.. I believe.. Thats sunday on your chart..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #31062 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:03 PM

Absolutely right...damn...now I gotta keep the chart handy...thought I could do it from memory!

I'm gonna ask Skeeter to do a map with those coords plotted!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 24 2004 07:06 PM)

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
      #31063 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:05 PM

Quote:

Absolutely right...damn...now I gotta keep the chart handy...thought I could do it from memory!

(KORL) 28-32-47N 081-20-09W 37M

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

ApplemaninFL
Unregistered

Re: POLK COUNTY SCHOOLS [Re: Rasvar]
      #31064 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:09 PM

St Johns County schools in St Augustine are closing on Monday for the impending hurricane force winds.
We lost 5 days from power outages with Frances.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50790

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center