F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 246 (Idalia) , Major: 246 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 246 (Idalia) Major: 246 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: joe's in love with Ivan.. going to be waiting for his return [Re: Unregistered User]
      #30963 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:39 PM

Sorry, Lois....that comment made me LOL! I would say that at the very least your county should have tropical storm watches up. I don't see why they wouldn't do that.

But...what do I know?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: LI Phil]
      #30964 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Richard, lois cane, AKA bobbi, is registered...she can't log on at work...

Darned....that means I've been courting the wrong 'lois' See, an old man like me *never* gets lucky...courts the wrong gal

I am so glad she is a member, she'd be sorely missed if she wasn't. Her being registered means a greater likelyhood of her being around next time as well. Thanks for the feedback.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Earle
Unregistered

Re: Curious about FSU Model [Re: MissBecky]
      #30965 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:43 PM

Hello,

I'm in Mt. Pleasant SC, just several miles south of where Gaston made landfall. Didn't make many headlines, but the 8hrs of 50mph sustained winds and foot of rain made a mess of my place.

I've been lurking on your discussion since this morning. Very impressed with the knowledge being shared. I'm rather shy in posting to message boards, and I don't know if it's helpful in answering your question, but the SC State Climatologist in a message around 8am this morning had this to say about the FSU superensemble model:

"Access to this model output is restricted and cannot be redistributed when permission is granted for its use. For that reason, althrough the State Climate Office will use this tool in decision-making from time to time, I will be unable to display the output. However, I will do my best to explain where the track is without giving you a picture if I can do so with verbal efficiency. That being said..... the FSU model from last night is to the west of the official forecast and remains onshore through FL, GA, SC, and NC before exiting the US mainland near Cape Hatteras. Just another model.. but has been the most consistent and accurate so far this year."

You all take care and be safe.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: richard.... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #30966 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:44 PM

Quote:

im bobbistorm.. loiscane.. i use lois during the day for strange reasons

thanks. bobbi

...darned...all the 'good ones'' are already taken Us old farts just never get the girl....boo hoo. I'm glad you are a regular, your posts sounded like they needed to be here a whole bunch. TTYL

--------------------
Richard

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: for scott [Re: AgentB]
      #30967 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:44 PM

That is very true. To the best of my limited recollection all the storms this season went farther west than expected. I do know for sure though that the NOGAPS did a great job pegging Ivan like 4-5 days out. I think UKMET had it in the panhandle too. They seemed to lose their efficiency though the closer the storm seems to get.

Course I could be TOTALLY wrong.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Article on Cantore [Re: Unregistered User]
      #30968 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:44 PM

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/09/20/Floridian/The_storm_chaser.shtml

It's a wonderful story...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 24 2004 04:46 PM)

lois
Unregistered

lois... [Re: LI Phil]
      #30969 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:47 PM

i do it to annoy Burns... who knows who he is.. and who he is.. and who he is ...

and to amuse someone... but i do have a problem staying logged in sometimes so just easier

do u know how LONG L O N G 20 seconds is ...btw

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Curious about FSU Model [Re: Earle]
      #30970 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

I've been lurking on your discussion since this morning. Very impressed with the knowledge being shared. I'm rather shy in posting to message boards, and I don't know if it's helpful in answering your question, but the SC State Climatologist in a message around 8am this morning had this to say about the FSU superensemble model: ....

Welcome, and see, it wasn't hard to make a valuable contribution. Do it again, seriously. ALL of us have *something* of value to share. Some make dammed good forecasts but confuse the 'unwashed masses', Others have a good ability to translate cyber geek talk to something meaningful, a few, like Skeetobite, are gifted in making a picture out of a thousand words, and a few, like me, have a thousand words that can't be made into a picture.

Welcome aboard!

--------------------
Richard

lois
Unregistered

Re: Article on Cantore [Re: LI Phil]
      #30971 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:51 PM

thanks phil

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_east_loop-12.html

look at the two systems in the upper part of the water vapor loop moving north ... not good

not saying til someone else does but when things go up.. in the atmosphere...energy is transfered elsewhere

lois
Unregistered

Re: Article on Cantore...twc did an excellent story on them a while back ... [Re: lois]
      #30972 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:55 PM

and if anyone knows current status of FSU models.. please tell, hint or draw a picture

rhyme it..just share please

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Article on Cantore...twc did an excellent story on them a while back ... [Re: lois]
      #30974 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

and if anyone knows current status of FSU models.. please tell, hint or draw a picture

rhyme it..just share please

bobbi, check who's online occasionally...when you see Clark or Jason Kelley, throw up that question...

since that info is proprietary, no one here (unless they're willing to plunk down 5 figures) can get access to it...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: Hits in a season [Re: MissBecky]
      #30975 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info.

I found this site the beginning of this season. Finding it very interesting, and learning a lot, but still very confused by all the terminology.

Thanks for all the information and links provided by this site.

nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: Ricreig]
      #30976 - Fri Sep 24 2004 04:59 PM

So how concerned should we be in SW Florida (from Charlotte County down)? Nobody here is very concerned .. and after Charlotte County had to evacuate before Ivan, schools were closed, etc.. and the weather here was beautiful. .. I think people could get a little indifferent. Plus we're all kind of numb anyway... I don't want us to be in another scenario where we have little time to prepare, should this thing go further SW than NE!

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Change the attention for a just a second [Re: lois]
      #30977 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:00 PM

I know I said yesterday that I didn't think that the activity in the central gulf would amount to anything and I'm still sticking to my guns on that; BUT it does look kind of interesting out there this morning. It still looks to be left over moisture from the outer circulation (or bands) of Ivan but it does look ominous. It seems like that moisture will have to go somewhere. Maybe caught up in Jeanne's circulation? Any thoughts?

lois
Unregistered

my heart belongs to superman but... [Re: Ricreig]
      #30978 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:01 PM

well... since he is rarely around during important times in my life

i am single and open to offers

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: funny ...no panic in miami that i have seen [Re: nandav]
      #30979 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

So how concerned should we be in SW Florida (from Charlotte County down)? Nobody here is very concerned .. and after Charlotte County had to evacuate before Ivan, schools were closed, etc.. and the weather here was beautiful. .. I think people could get a little indifferent. Plus we're all kind of numb anyway... I don't want us to be in another scenario where we have little time to prepare, should this thing go further SW than NE!

I would say that no one in Florida, anywhere in the SE US should be unconcerned. However, if I was going to be in Florida during a landfalling hurricane, this is one time I would be asking you, what's your address and do you have a room for rent this weekend? Keep posted and you won't be surprised regardless of the eventual trac, Las Vegas odds are in your favor this time, but even the house loses sometimes. If you remember that, you'll be OK.

--------------------
Richard

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Change the attention for a just a second [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #30980 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

I know I said yesterday that I didn't think that the activity in the central gulf would amount to anything and I'm still sticking to my guns on that; BUT it does look kind of interesting out there this morning. It still looks to be left over moisture from the outer circulation (or bands) of Ivan but it does look ominous. It seems like that moisture will have to go somewhere. Maybe caught up in Jeanne's circulation? Any thoughts?

Take a look at this wv loop. While the ridge continues to pound down on Jeanne and keep her moving west...her own outflow is preventing the trof from sliding further east...

Damn wv...I don't like what I'm seeing in terms of any recurvature in the next 48 hours...

Maybe a real met could tell me I'm wrong (and I hope to hell I am).

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: my heart belongs to superman but... [Re: lois]
      #30981 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:09 PM

Quote:

well... since he is rarely around during important times in my life

i am single and open to offers

Yippee...Heres my phone number <edited by Moderator wannabe> , so give me a call!!!!

--------------------
Richard

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Hits in a season [Re: Ocala]
      #30982 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:10 PM

Earle....thank you for that post. Why in the world they won't let it be seen is beyond me. But at least SOMEONE had the guts to put it into words, which is all we're asking for.

Now....just a few minutes ago, Tom Terry said that because of the wide margins between the NOGAPS/UKMET and the GFS/GFDL models, that *might* mean that the track would be in the CENTER of those two scenarios.

In other words, ala Frances. Right straight through the middle of the state. I think he's *trying* to hint at a further south landfall...like WPB. If you read between the lines, that's what I think he's trying to tell us. And I have to say, he's one of the best mets out there. Doesn't panic, doesn't alarm...just tells it like it is. "Folks, this is NO storm to fool around with, and if you're tired of having to leave, get over it because you're REALLY going to be in a mess if you DON'T. We're ALL tired, but we still have to be ON TOP OF THINGS."

Amen, Tom.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: my heart belongs to superman but... [Re: lois]
      #30983 - Fri Sep 24 2004 05:11 PM

lois are you listening to Brian Norcross? Did he say we WILL have warnings up at 5:00pm?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50787

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center