F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Ricreig]
      #31065 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:11 PM

Good News... Maybe by the 06Z we will have some good info. The NOAA G-IV jet will be going out this afternoon and that data will be put into the 00Z models so that we can see that info at 06Z. I think we are having some serious ridge issues with the GFS.. Guess we will know then.. I am more than likely wrong, but eyeballing the Water Vapor and the present speed of the system and comparing them to the GFS makes me a little doubtful.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #31066 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:14 PM

I am an ametuer, but I just don't see this turning as quickly north, given the water vapor loop, as the NHC track.

Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lutz, FL
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31067 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:15 PM

Quote:

JB's forecast from this morning:

Tonight, 8:00 p.m. eastern, 26.2,74.0 965 mb
Tomorrow evening, 26.8, 78.0 955 mb
Sunday evening, 28.0 81.0 965 mb
Monday evening, 33.0 79.5 970 mb
Tuesday evening, 38.5, 73.0 985 mb
Wednesday evening, 42.0, 65.0 985 mb

Going point-to-point and figuring out where the hourly locations would be (except for wed eve which is outside the range) these numbers are very similar to the 11AM NHC forecast. Yes, I know point-to-point is not an accurate but its the best I have. Since he started at 8PM tonight, I used 8PM for each of the following evenings.

Here are the numbers based on the 11AM NHC forecast:

Fri 8PM 26.2 74.1
Sat 8PM 26.8 78.9
Sun 8PM 29.3 81.3
Mon 8PM 32.6 79.95
Tue 8PM 37.25 73.75
Wed 8PM 42.75 65.25 (extrap)

I have an Excel SS that I developed which shows the hourly points. It also figures out where a location (ie: my house) falls within the wind field.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #31068 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:17 PM

Just something on the WV loops. While they do help us sometimes see the "path" a hurricane will take, they're not always conclusive evidence of where a storm will turn or not turn. They do paint a good picture of what's going on in the atmosphere, but aren't the end all when it comes to storm movement. I'm not saying that the storm won't stay south, just that that information cannot always be garnered by watching the WV loops.

--------------------
Check the Surf

jht off
Unregistered

Joe B [Re: Staggy]
      #31069 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:23 PM

Just curious LI Phil,

Wht did Joe B have to say about Ivan..Is he still thinking back into the gulf with a north central landfall again?

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: AgentB]
      #31070 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:23 PM

AgentB,

I should have added that disclaimer when I went on about how good the WV loops are...they are but one tool out of many which allow us to see what the earth is doing...they should NEVER be used solely to predict future events...to my mind, though, nothing is better for showing ridges and trofs and where the twain shall meet...and they're purdy too.

EDIT: JB on Ivan: " The official declaration of Ivans death will come later today. Its no matter we have to watch the gulf next week...unless 2) The disturbance that is left behind from the trof that was supposed to capture Jeanne and whisk her east comes west, in which case that will be in a nice position on its way west to try to develop. Moral is the eastern atlantic season is separate from the western season, which in this pattern can produce home brew"

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Edited by LI Phil (Fri Sep 24 2004 07:27 PM)

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
      #31071 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:33 PM

Question:

Why are the stores running out of vinegar? Whats that for?

Aaron H.
Unregistered

#31072 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:36 PM

2 pm advisory implies no further strengthening. Actually says "fluctuations. " Is this the NHC position right now?? Cloud tops around the center are not super cold (no whites on the Dvorak loop). Will this hold trus 'til landfall??? Thanks

Pam in Vero
Unregistered

#31073 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:36 PM

I just saw something interesting for those of us just learning. I am originally from NM. On Ch 5...our locale forcaster mentioned that a dry early spring and summer means more hurricanes for us do to the Burmuda high sitting lower than average. That makes sense, we almost blew away in the dust this summer. Thought I was back in the high desert.

Jane219ga

Reged:
Loc: Valrico, FL
Re: Model Runs [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31074 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:37 PM

Quote:

I suppose you're correct, and I thought that closing schools for Ivan was way premature, but now do they have to go the other EXTREME?
Just venting.

They did the same thing in Hillsborough but the reason given was to be able to prepare the schools as shelters for those evacuating to this area. Kind of makes sense to a certain extent.

Pam in Vero
Unregistered

Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Pam in Vero]
      #31075 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:41 PM

PS for those of us fighting with mold...use developer (used by hair stylists) 50-50 with water and spray on walls. You can buy it at Sally's type store.

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
School closings [Re: Jane219ga]
      #31076 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:41 PM

Lee County Schools are waiting until Sunday to decide. Last time for Frances they decided on Saturday and closed down that Monday, when there was no need. I guess they learned their lesson and are waiting a little longer this time before they make the call.

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: School closings [Re: MissBecky]
      #31077 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:43 PM

Marion County has closed schools for Monday because they are opening the shelters to coastal evacuees tomorrow.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Vinegar shortage... [Re: Pam in Vero]
      #31078 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:45 PM

Maybe the vinegar fights mold too? Could that explain the shortage? Either that or people must be making a run on salad too...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: For Georgia coastal residents & north... [Re: Pam in Vero]
      #31079 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:45 PM

Quote:

PS for those of us fighting with mold...use developer (used by hair stylists) 50-50 with water and spray on walls. You can buy it at Sally's type store.

Wouldn't that just collect wet dandruff then?

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: School closings [Re: MissBecky]
      #31080 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:47 PM

Volusia County is waiting, too.

All this "waiting" gives me an eery feeling.

Just a footnote: when Charley was coming, my 8-year old son freaked. When Frances was coming, he was calmer and said, "The winds aren't THAT bad." Do you know what he said today when he got home from school?

"MAN, WE'RE GONNA GET SPANKED." And promptly went to our closet to set up his little area so "I won't have to do it at the last minute."

Even the KIDS are beginning to think this is normal.

I keep forgetting...is that "Thing 1" or "Thing 2"

oops...sorry, Phil...that would be Thing 2, as he is the youngest.

Edited by Colleen A. (Fri Sep 24 2004 07:54 PM)

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne, the evil sister of Frances? [Re: MikeC]
      #31081 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:49 PM

I'm a newbie, but I've viewed the site through the last 3 canes..regarding the track, the most consistent model that I've seen the last 2-3 days is NOGAPS. It takes the track thru WPB up to Tampa and offshore in GOM to panhandle. The newest 12Z runs of the Canadian & UKMET (sorry folks I think the UKMET track is wrong on the SFWMD site), take a "Frances" path across the state. I. like others, have noted a right-of-track bias with the GFS & GFDL this season. The high is expansive centered near Norfolk, & reminds me of the Andrew pattern in '92. The trough over the upper Midwest is lifting into Canada so I just can't see this 90 deg turn north. But, heck, whatta I know.

Intensity - It looks as if the storm is getting its act together, right in time to hook up with 84F ocean water. If it wasn't for the dry air surrounding the storm, I'd say it could bomb to a CAT 4 b4 landfall. But with the dry air, maybe strong CAT 3. I think this storm will be stronger than Frances. 1) Frances was sheared significantly over the bahamas & never really got its act together prior to landfall (remember 60 nm eye), 2) no sign shear is forecast the next 36-48 hours for Jeanne,you've got an anticyclone over top doing some nice evacuation, & the gulf stream. Now one other factor, its the 3rd week of September and not late August, so maybe ocean temps have cooled slightly but there should be enuff juice for rapid intensification before landfall. It is a smaller size storm than Frances, but she'll be stronger. Hmmm, I'm ready for crow pie.

Floridacane
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Jeanne, the evil sister of Frances? [Re: RONJON]
      #31082 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:53 PM

Brevard county schools are closed on Monday.

--------------------
What's brewin' everyone?
Lori

SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Deerfield Beach
Re: Vinegar shortage... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31083 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:54 PM

Where is Scott? I wanted a last look at his forecast! Yesterday he had it pretty close to me. I have to go home and start evacuation... LI Phill your comment about the season from hell is true! I will fire up the ol'laptop later

--------------------
Kathy
26.2N
80.1W

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Vinegar shortage... [Re: SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL]
      #31084 - Fri Sep 24 2004 07:57 PM

Maybe he's out buying vinegar.

I'm sure he'll be here shortly...around 5ish or so.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50714

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center