F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Current Conditions [Re: Frank P]
      #32053 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:53 PM

My thoughts exactly on the Tampa scenario. As fast as its moving I cannot see that north turn happening anytime soon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RickInRockledge
Unregistered

Re: Current Conditions [Re: 52255225]
      #32054 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:53 PM

A Cat 3 with a 20 ft storm surge is worse than a Cat 3 with a 6 ft storm surge. They're both CAT 3's.. they both do damage... but the storm surge can make a big difference and the Categorization doesn't adjust for severity of Storm Surge. It wasn't WIND that knocked that bridge out of place and it wasn't wind that shoved all those houses in P-Cola into the bay.

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Current Conditions [Re: RickInRockledge]
      #32055 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:53 PM

This is true!

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Jeanne track images [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #32056 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:56 PM

Frank unless this radar loop is wrong or distorted somehow...I agree with you..looks like Ft. Pierce landfall to me...unless they forecast a more northerly motion before landfall. Looks like Broward County will just miss the hurricane force winds.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/RAD_HUR/animauto.html

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #32057 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:56 PM

Ivan pushed CAT V surge ashore as a direct hit. Jeanne has made the wobble/job and continues to do so and hasn't had the time to generate the surge of Ivan, regardless of her cat.

Surge will be significantly less, but this is still a Strong III and possibly a weak four when it landfalls...

It's going to be very bad.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Punta Gorda/Charlotte County [Re: 52255225]
      #32058 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:57 PM

If anybody is lurking from Charlotte County, we are projected to be within 90 miles of the center. I'm not sure what that means in terms of wind speed, but I think we're in for another rough time here.

Please stay safe everyone.

sthorne
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, FL
      #32059 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:58 PM

While it's true we won't get Ivan conditions here weather-wise, we have been pre-disastered. I don't think it would take an Ivan to finish ripping up the tarp-covered roofs and trailers that sustained damage.

Would a 3 + 2 = 5? Or a 4+2 = 6? Just (with waht little humor I have left) taking a line from the whitewater kyaking commercial.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #32060 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:00 PM

Well if there is any good news it is running out of time to get much stronger.... probably has only 4 hours or so to bomb.... last recon had 951 mb (unless she stalls, and that is not forecasted).... so its pressure is not getting any lower at the moment, still it could get stronger as long as its over the warm waters... coming in at low tide will obviously help with surge...... maybe she stay at Cat 3.... hopefully.... still stranger things have happend.... a powerful storm and will do great damage....

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: Jeanne track images [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #32061 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:00 PM

psu's animation kind of shows a Melbourne hit to me if I am reading it right..

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Current Conditions [Re: sthorne]
      #32062 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:00 PM

I thought the same thing earlier today...I didn't think it was all that funny, though.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Current Conditions [Re: clyde w.]
      #32063 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:00 PM

I think she could very well reach cat 4 status, but prob not offical because of the consevative side of the NHC that has been shown this year. 1mb is nothing for a hurricane, it might have just be recorded at a slightly different location. In my opinion the NHC or any hurricane forecaster agency for this matter should always go with the higher side to the wind forecast, it could make the difference between a CAT 3 and CAT 4 and the decison to evacuate.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

lilyv
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Utah
Re: Current Conditions [Re: LI Phil]
      #32064 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:01 PM

It's also worth noting that even though Frances was a Cat 2 lots of the damage hasn't been thoroughly repaired. Roofs, especially didn't need another storm this soon.
Cumulative damage may have a serious effect.

RickInRockledge
Unregistered

Re: Current Conditions [Re: sthorne]
      #32065 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:03 PM

THAT is a great point! The cumulative effect of multiple storms feels equal to CAT 5. SHEESH!! We've been arguing with a California relative who happens to be in town for this thing. She said "give me earthquakes" any day! In some ways, I see her point.. the days of anxiety and physical labor dealing with plywood and lawn furniture are SO wearing. I was blessed to sustain no real damage in Charley and Frances and praying my luck hasn't run out with Jeane. But for my friends who already have blue tarp on their roof.. that Cat 3 might as well be a 5!! Best wishes to all! Getting power flickers now here in Rockledge (East Central FL). Gust of around 45 mph.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #32066 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:05 PM

Rick, I certainly won't argue your well stated point... no doubt in my mind Ivan brought with it a Cat 4/5 storm surge... just tremendous damage, and reminded many that I've talked to on the MS coast who saw the pixs coming out of the panhandle of another great storm with a tremendous surge ... Camille.... I know I had Camille flashbacks for several days after watching to much TV on Ivan's incredible damage... each hurricane is different... However, I have no doubt Jeanne will make its mark in history for the areas it will impact

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Current Conditions [Re: Keith234]
      #32067 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:05 PM

Keith,

If people haven't yet evacuated, there's probably no time left to do so now...so far NHC has been spot on with each update; the difference between a weak IV & strong III? maybe 5 mph...

Unfortunately it looks like she's gaining some strength as she seems to be rushing to completion her ERC...fortunately, it looks like she will hit at fairly low tide...

Problem is, while surge may "only" be 15' or so, you've got some 30' waves being generated, and these beaches have been devastated...all the structures are weakened from Frances and it won't take nearly as much to destroy stuff as it would if Florida hadn't already been thrashed 3 weeks ago.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Current Conditions [Re: Frank P]
      #32068 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:06 PM

Power starting to go out periodically. Same thing happened with Frances.

I'll be offline within a few hours I'm sure.

Fun?

At least the cable has stayed on longer than last time

tfg345
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Still Heading West [Re: MikeC]
      #32069 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:09 PM

im guessing 130-135 when this thing hits. Thougts?

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
tide levels [Re: LI Phil]
      #32070 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:12 PM

I agree with Phil. Cape Canaveral high tide 6:08 pm tonight and 6:28 am tomorrow. That should help with surge somewhat--yes?

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

Re: Current Conditions [Re: tpratch]
      #32071 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:12 PM

7 p.m. NHC Advisory indicates true westward movement since the 5:00 p.m. update... she stayed right at Lat 27.1. Speed over the last two hours was a little over 9 mph. Seems to have slowed just a tad...

AdmittedHacker

(still trying to think up a witty phrase to insert here, but too busy trying to plan the most appropriate course for panic right now...)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Jeanne Still Heading West [Re: tfg345]
      #32072 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:13 PM

late few frame of the radar showed a little hint of a wnw or north of due west motion... still, its gained just a touch a latitude over the past hour or so, not much... but some..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 96689

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center