F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: Colleen A.]
      #32380 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:02 AM

I still get the 5 p.m. map.

It sure looks like the landfall point is about the same place as Frances.

I was thinking this was pretty extraordinary to have two hurricanes hitting the same place the same season. Well I got to 1996 and Fran and Bertha hit the same spot on the NC coast.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
USFTampa
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: 52255225]
      #32381 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:04 AM

Yeah, it does seem like Tampa will be getting it pretty hard- did I just hear the met on ABC down here in Tampa GUARANTEE us that 35mph winds would be our worst? Is he smoking something? We already have gusts that high and we haven't even come close yet!! As for myself, I will be buckling down tight here soon if things stay the same.

IMPORTANT: I don't know whether or not this will become a necessity or not, but if things become too bad here in Tampa, I will be evacuating to USF. I have keys to the main building (SCA) and I have a lab there, which has no windows, awesome backup generators (for the research equip), is definitely flood-proof and strong, and even showers and fridges. So, if there is anyone local that needs EMERGENCY shelter and has no other place to go, please let me know and I will be happy to hunker down there or help you have access. There is plenty of room and it will get you through the storm, but I can only provide for a limited number in EMERGENCY.

Please be advised: I will be bringing my girlfriend, two adult and 5 puppy chihuahuas as well, so be prepared for the fun! Second, this is NOT an official shelter nor can it be used for anything more than just RIDING out the storm- no good for use after that. I just want to be able to help out anyone who is desperate or in emergency need, since all the warnings and evacs seem to be last minute as of now.
Please let a moderator know or pm me.

(If this is an okay post, I will give the mods my phone/email to give out on an as needed basis- will a mod please let me know?

--------------------
J-Roc
USF Climatology Grad Student

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

#32382 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:04 AM

Steve Lyons on TWC is really determined to see that long awaited NW turn... he's been talking about it for 4 days now. I have this mental image of Jeanne continuing west, making landfall in Corpus, TX and Steve Lyons swooping his hand NW saying "We expect it to turn northwest any time now...."

Kristin

Reged:
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: LI Phil]
      #32383 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:05 AM

Can anyone tell me?

How far from the eyewall do the 115mph winds go? My house is in Hobe Sound, between Stuart and Jupiter...
P.S. I'm NOT there right now!!! Actually, I'm in Tampa... looks like I can run, but I can't hide!

USFTampa
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: USFTampa]
      #32384 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:06 AM

NHC 11pm map now up.

--------------------
J-Roc

viking

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: Kristin]
      #32385 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:08 AM

I believe Hobe Sound is in the eye right now.

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: MikeC]
      #32386 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:09 AM

I have found more links to live feeds on the net- these are from WPB

live feeds on the net

WPB:

http://www.thewpbfchannel.com/index.html

http://www.wflxfox29.com/

http://wpecnews12.com/

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/wptv/

Here in Austin, the ABC News now (secondary digital channel) has had info on tonight.

I can post more live feeds as I find em if ya'll want but I don't want to bug ya'll. I found them originally cause friends on other boards keep askin me what's goin on.

And yes, in Austin TX and think we were popped with the blob that was Ivan earlier today. Hard to tell tho.

Anyway, if there's anything ya'll can think of that I can help with.. holler.

And please ya'll be safe, K?

'shana

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32387 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:10 AM

Steve,

If you're still there...

I'm not trying to rip new ones...aren't we all in this together in some weird way?

You had an excellent point...my post sounded like Mike C & I founded these boards...when you, me and about 1000 others know that's not true.

I'm trying to help some poor folks right now and I've missed sleep and meals to do so.

Sorry if You think that's "tater tots" or whatever....

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Weather In Seminole County [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32388 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:10 AM

I will try again, the cat just knocked me off the line. To answer your question. It may depend on your location in Polk because of the land mass in relation to storm angle. I would imagine that the area closest to the angles of bands coming from the storm would get the most storm intensity. If you have a band spinning off at high velocity, you will get the strongest part. If you are on the tail end of the slowing down part you will get less. Especially if you get caught between the bands, it may get deceptively quiet. This was true in my neighborhood in Frances. Depending which street you lived on your house did not suffer shingle loss. Two houses down in a swath, there are tarps on the roofs. It is truly interesting.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #32389 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:11 AM

USFTampa- you rock! People here's a someone opening a door if you need it.

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
      #32390 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:11 AM

Just went out side to walk the dog one last time before the storms start in NW Orange County. It was pretty calm, much like it has been all night.

All of a sudden, bam, I get hit by at least a 30-35 mph wind gust. The gusts are still going.

AdvAutoBob
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Cape Coral reporting in [Re: USFTampa]
      #32391 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:12 AM

Back from grabbing my generator....

Winds WNW 20-25 sustained, gusting to 40MPH
Barometer now 29.45
While at my shop (a mile from home), the power started to flicker, and some of the businesses in our industrial park were without power, but snapped back on as I drove past. It's a matter of time before we're dark here, but I'll stay as long as I can....

--------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: AdmittedHacker]
      #32392 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:13 AM

Actually, there's a reason for that turn to occur...if you look at the WV loop for the Gulf of Mexico, look the to the left of Florida...that's what will push Jeanne more NW and then North. Since it came in further south, it will have more of an impact on Tampa Bay area. But I don't believe it is going to exit the state and go into the GOM.
Then again.......

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

USFTampa
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: danielw]
      #32393 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:14 AM

Thanks! For anyone who missed it, please see Page 3 of the board for an offer of EMERGENCY assistance...still waiting on a moderator to okay it, but check it out anyway.

--------------------
J-Roc

Mike991
Unregistered

#32394 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:15 AM

For some reason I have a bad feeling this thing is going to make it into the GOM and take over where Ivan left off up here in NW FL. I just don't see it making the turn and breaking through the ridge to the north before it makes it back to the gulf, but one can always hope.

Kristin

Reged:
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: viking]
      #32395 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:15 AM

Thanks, I guess I'm just a little nervous about what I might come home to... Frances ripped off half of my shingles, and I don't think that the winds were as strong in Hobe Sound as Jeanne's appear to be.

Ga Resident
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: alan]
      #32396 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:16 AM

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me answer. My husband is having surgery Monday in Gainesville Ga. I live near Toccoa, Ga. I am undecided on where to take my children. Is it better to be as far west as possible? I'm not sure where my children will be the safest.

I know this isnt Florida, and God Bless all who are going through this. But I'm very torn about where my children should be. I will be there at the hospital with him & dont know if they should be home in the basement, or at the medical center.

I'm sorry if this seems trivial, but I am very concerned about this. If one of you with experience could take a look at a Georgia map, can you please give me your educated opinion?

Thanks so much.

viking

Reged:
Loc: Miami
27.2 80.2 [Re: Colleen A.]
      #32397 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:17 AM

Norcross just brought up the official landfall coordinates for Frances and Jeanne were 27.2 and 80.2. Frances was a Sun at 1am, Jeanne a Sat at Midnight. Another strange thing to add to this season.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: ShanaTX]
      #32398 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:17 AM

ShanaTX,
There are lots of people on here that don't have cable tv, but have internet. I personally don't think you are bothering anyone by giving out info that could save their life. If you find more links put 'em up. Ft Myers, Naples, Tampa, Orlando. I'm sure there are people here from those areas that don't have cable tv.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
      #32399 - Sun Sep 26 2004 04:17 AM

The met on ABC here in Tampa (Dennis, I think?) just said that he thinks the NHC track is off, since it forecasted an immediate NW turn that hasn't happened. He said that he thinks it will end up tracking through Polk, Hillsborough then Pasco counties. Which is not good for anyone in the Tampa Bay area.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 101292

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center