F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
eulogia
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: Terry Johnson]
      #32718 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:07 PM

Does anyone have news about Sebring?

--------------------
Agnes (1972), No Name Storm (1993), various and sundry, Charley (2004), Wilma (2005,) et. al

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeanine
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Hollywood, FL
Update [Re: eulogia]
      #32719 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:11 PM

Can or does anyone have any information from South Brevard County? (Melbourne).
Thanks Jeanine

matlon
Unregistered

Re: Change Of Course? [Re: Marknole]
      #32720 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:12 PM

Marknole, it looks as if the NHC hasn't posted hurricane warnings north of Suwanee, so they seem confident that the pass over Apalachee Bay won't give it any go juice.

I'm in Jacksonville, and the local guys here don't seem to be aware of the lower SST in that part of the Gulf. They need to log into here every once in awhile.

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Update [Re: Jeanine]
      #32721 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:13 PM

If you hear anything about Melbourne, please post. I can't reach my son on Dairy Road, west of downtown. It doesn't look good on the news.

They just said on WFTV that part of US 1 in far southern Brevard was washed away. About 500 yards of roadway.

Edited by alan (Sun Sep 26 2004 03:16 PM)

Marknole
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Wacissa, FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: matlon]
      #32722 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:15 PM

matlon, lol and thanx. I agree, and after the 1100 discussion, I feel more confident. Time for some more football and less TWC!

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Melbourne [Re: alan]
      #32723 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:16 PM

Melbourne info please. Last spoke to son at FIT 8:20 pm last night. Can't Cantore do something besides put on goggles and step between 2 buildings?

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Tammy
Unregistered

#32724 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:17 PM

Matlon the news is going a great job down in Jax. We get the local out of 4 and 12 channels here in Waycross GA. JAX and Daytona are like second homes to us and our thoughts are will all of you. We have had winds here just under 20 mph this morning. It's coming in squalls though. This morning just after six we had heavy rain and wind then a calm for about an hour now the winds are picking up and the sky's are gray but again no rain as of yet. They have not closed schools for our county (ware) as of right now. With Frances we missed two days so the roads could be repaired. Lots of rural roads for the buses. Stay safe everyone.

rule
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Update [Re: alan]
      #32725 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:17 PM

I'm using the radar loops from Tampa, Jax., and Melborne. I'm beginning to wonder if Jeanne is even going to reach the GOM? Seems to be a lot more N than W lately.

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
North Volusia Update [Re: MikeC]
      #32726 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:17 PM

Winds have really picked up here. I am getting my readings for the Daytona Airport. Sustained 41 gusts just shy of 60.

MaryAnn

boxerhouse

Reged:
      #32727 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:19 PM

Agree with Jax--they haven't mentioned much about affect should she hit the GOM. I'm in Jax, too, and we're just starting to get a few gusts. Talked to my parents a little while ago in Ocala, and it's starting to pick up there ("not as bad as Frances, yet...")

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: Update [Re: rule]
      #32728 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

I'm using the radar loops from Tampa, Jax., and Melborne. I'm beginning to wonder if Jeanne is even going to reach the GOM? Seems to be a lot more N than W lately.

That's what I see too. Was just going to ask if anyone else was seeing the same thing. Just got another power flicker.

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: boxerhouse]
      #32729 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:24 PM

Are my eyes playing tricks on me.
Look at this radar loop
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocal...mp;prodnav=none

It looks like it almost stopped on the last three frames.

There are some damage photos from fort pierce on www.orlandosentinel.com

Edited by alan (Sun Sep 26 2004 03:28 PM)

rule
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Update [Re: Ocala]
      #32730 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:27 PM

We just had our first flicker. I heard a transformer go somewhere.

The wind is almost stopped between gusts, but the gusts are becoming more frequent. Maybe 35mph.

Sure not like the steady wind we got from Frances.

Edit: Just had a solid 40 mph gust...

EditEdit: Just had a good 45 mph to 50mph gust. Lights flickering. I'll probably switch to generator pretty soon...

Edited by rule (Sun Sep 26 2004 03:33 PM)

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
      #32731 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:29 PM

I heard it too. Weatherbug report from the airport is sustained at 24, gust to 43.

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: alan]
      #32732 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:29 PM

60000 OUC without power
223000 Progress Energy without power
27000 KUA without power (48 percent of all customers)

Edited by alan (Sun Sep 26 2004 03:31 PM)

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Orlando status? [Re: clyde w.]
      #32733 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:31 PM

Hello everyone! To you guys in East Orlando.... I just rode around in Rescue 85 through StoneyBrook, near Eastwood and there is minimal damage. I think I saw one screen enclosure blowing around and alot of the small trees are laying down. Nothing major. From what I have seen, this part of Orange County is in pretty good shape. I still haven't gotten any sleep. I was the station watch officer so I had to maintain the security of the station and monitor the radio's and phones all night. I am so tired but Jeanne is making such a racket I can't sleep.
OK, I'm going to go close my eyes now........

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

chuckbat

Reged:
      #32734 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:31 PM

In St. Pete this is definetly worse than Frances. More sustained wind. Way more powerful gusts, lost power twice

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Power and Seminole County [Re: alan]
      #32735 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

60000 OUC without power
223000 Progress Energy without power
27000 KUA without power (48 percent of all customers)

Waves crashing against the shoreline of Lake Monroe are threatening to wash away large sections of U.S. Highway 17-92, west of downtown Sanford.

Authorities closed the road between Central Florida Regional Hospital and Interstate 4 after the water began eating away sections of the asphalt.

"I think there is a pretty good possibility of the lane closest to the lake being undermined," said Seminole County Fire Chief Terry Schenk.

About 10 a.m., Schenk clocked sustained winds along the lakefront at 38 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Along much of the area immediately west of the hospital, the water has washed away the ground between the seawall and the roadway. In two places it has already washed away portions of the asphalt.

Scattered power outages are causing some problems in Seminole County. At least 27 intersections have traffic lights that are not operating, mostly because of power outages.

Shelters at Geneva Elementary School in Geneva and Millenium Middle School in Sanford were operating on generators, and a special needs shelter at Layer Elementary School in Winter Springs had no power at all.

In unincorporated Seminole County, power was off at 31 sewage lift stations.

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Update [Re: chuckbat]
      #32736 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:36 PM

portion of new Big Bend alert..

" It Is Now Expected To Remain A Tropical Storm For A Longer Time Than Earlier Anticipated. Thus... Tropical Storm Force Winds May Now Spread Across The Interior Of The Florida Panhandle... The Remainder Of Southwest And South Central Georgia... And Extreme Southeast Alabama Tonight Into Monday Morning.

Representative Winds At Some Inland And Coastal Locations At 11 AM EDT Follow.

Nws Tallahassee... 7 Mph With Gusts To 14 Mph. Tallahassee Airport... 17 Mph With Gusts To 24 Mph. Panama City 21 Mph With Gusts To 30 Mph. Valdosta... 24 Mph With Gusts To 32 Mph. Keaton Beach... 17 Mph With Gusts To 22 Mph. Cedar Key... 16 Mph With Gusts To 22 Mph. Buoy 42036... 33 Mph With Gusts To 40 Mph. C Tower (100 Feet High)... 33 Mph With Gusts To 37 Mph."

Gee, I am thrilled.... can't hardly contain my enthusiasm!!!

Terry Johnson
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tarpon Springs, FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: eulogia]
      #32737 - Sun Sep 26 2004 03:36 PM

Jus theard a report that Sebring is on a boil alert. Power to the water plants is gone.

I come from Sebring, OH, founded by the same family, so I do try to keep an eye out.

Getting VERY windy here in Tarpon!!! Windows are shaking and they are rated very high....like 130mph.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 114036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center