F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 249 (Idalia) , Major: 249 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 249 (Idalia) Major: 249 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
National Hurricane Conference
      #35001 - Mon Mar 21 2005 08:01 PM

Just wondering if anybody is attending the National Hurricane Conference in New Orleans this week? I understand that Dr. William Gray is schedualed to present his most recent predictions on Friday the last day of the conference. I`m wondering if he`ll revise his first predictions.....We`ll see.......B.C.F.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: National Hurricane Conference [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #35050 - Sat Mar 26 2005 10:27 PM

They cheated us out of the update (you know they just like roll dice for all this stuff right?) Just kidding In all seriousness, the number WILL be upgraded. I am keeping an open mind, but I think we may see some serious deja vu in just a few short months. Should be scary for us, but at always, interesting.

--------------------
cheers

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: National Hurricane Conference [Re: Lysis]
      #35062 - Sun Mar 27 2005 03:41 PM

I think your right Lysis, it will be scary, but interesting. Being a block off the ocean didn`t bother me cause we have large dunes beachside and I think they would be able to handle a very big storm surge if it happened. It was the large pieces of debris hitting the house that got us a little shook up.While Jeanne was hammering my neighborhood , I went out on my front porch to check out what was happening. The winds were I`d estimate around 90 + out there and were coming from the east south east. From my vantage point it realitivly calm cause I was facing due west and everything was hitting the other side of my house including the wind . It was about 2:30 a.m. and I watched the greenish blue flashes light up the sky for about an hour as the electric transformers exploded over in Melbourne across the river.Then everything went black. It was surreal, but like you say very interesting....Maybe a rerun this year.....I`m gonna be ready with cameras thats for sure ....Weatherchef

Lysis
User

Reged:
      #35076 - Tue Mar 29 2005 07:47 PM

It was surreal, but like you say very interesting....Maybe a rerun this year.....I`m gonna be ready with cameras thats for sure ....Weatherchef

Of all the bad storms that I have been in (Andrew, Charley) I must say that surreal is an excellent way to describe it. If you have not already, be sure to check out my film on Charley. I am hoping to get an HD camera for my birthday, so if I see anything this season it will look great .

--------------------
cheers

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #35078 - Wed Mar 30 2005 01:34 AM

On a weather funny note, after Jeanne went through, I went out back of my house to survey the damage. There was all kinds of stuff from other peoples properties laying around. My pool was filled debris. The one thing that made me laugh was pulling a " VOTE FOR ME " sign of a guy running for office that I would walk by on A1A that was still up even though the election was weeks over with. Every time I would go by that sign I would say to myself, one of these nights I`m gonna go up there and tear it down cause I`m sick of looking at it, but never did. Then Jeanne come s along and wouldn`t you know it, the storm blows the darn thing four and a half blocks south east right into my pool. What are the chances of that. Here there`s damage 360 degrees around me and I`m standing there happy because this %#&@#%&* sign is finally down thanks to Jeanne....Its a cruel world sometimes but its still a lot of fun.....I`ll check out your film on Charley...Weatherchef

Lysis
User

Reged:
      #35079 - Wed Mar 30 2005 02:22 AM

rofl. Yeah, I heard that several storm chasers in the area had a lot of problems with political yard signs during Charley. I can only imagine being there in the zone filming some incredible destruction, only to look back and have "KERRY/EDWARDS" hit you across the head. Check out my movie and tell me how it compares to Jeanne. HankFrank says I only captured 115 mph winds, but I don’t think so.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Wed Mar 30 2005 02:25 AM)

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #35118 - Sat Apr 02 2005 10:28 PM

Great movie Lysis. From what I saw , I believe that you had alot higher wind speeds than what we expierenced here in Indiatantic. In fact, I really don`t know exactly what the peak wind speed was around here and Melbourne during Jeanne or Frances. Any infro let me know.....Again, fantastic job on the flick...Weatherchef

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
      #35126 - Sun Apr 03 2005 12:48 AM

it was a good movie.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: National Hurricane Conference [Re: hurricane_run]
      #35139 - Mon Apr 04 2005 02:22 PM

thanks guys.

--------------------
cheers

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
      #35146 - Mon Apr 04 2005 06:53 PM

your welcome and i hope you got every thing cleaned up.

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #35150 - Mon Apr 04 2005 10:28 PM

Lysis, I noticed that your family was with you when you made the film. My family was with me also when Jeanne went through. I give yours a lot of credit , cause they went through was a bit more action than what we saw and they handled it well. With are kids involved in are weather fun , I started to think about what was on their minds and what their thoughts are on severe weather when it comes to their prize possesions, pets , friends, home and familiy and the questions they have relating to this subject My daughter got me thinking about this when she called me at work to tell me that a thunder storm was forming to the west and she thinks that it has rotation on the bottom. I just about fell out of my chair . Maybe a weather kids forum down the line eh?..........Weatherchef

Lysis
User

Reged:
      #35161 - Wed Apr 06 2005 12:19 AM

Well, my sisters certianly did NOT like Charley, and sometimes I wish that they were a bit like your daughter in regards to weather. That is quite cool by the way, to have a younger kid facinated by such things. Anway, you must remember that if we looked somewhat calm it is because we have done this before with hurricane Andrew in Homestead. Then, It was only my mom, dad, and myself, so there was less to worry about. For a few weeks after Charley, my sisters would freak out and cry during thunderstorms. Very traumatic to say the least.

--------------------
cheers

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
kids and weather [Re: Lysis]
      #35172 - Wed Apr 13 2005 08:56 PM

I take it that your sisters might get out of dodge if a cane comes your way again. My daughter thinks it might be a great idea to leave the barrier island if a Cat 4 or a Cat 5 comes lurking around our coast this summer. After what she expierienced with Frances and Jeanne, that it would be a good idea not to be around if a larger stronger storm comes our way and she`s right. The thing is, I want to stay no matter what is coming. She thinks I`m mental. I guess I`ll have to wait and see what happens. I would never jepordize her safety. She is my first love, and weather is my second.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Impact of Jeanne on Barrier Islands [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #35389 - Sat May 14 2005 12:25 PM

In response to an earlier post, I prepared a damage assessment for Emergency Management (I am a volunteer member of EM on the beach) and noted the following:

I did a damage assessment for Satellite Beach since their anemometer suffered a broken cable at 2AM. Here is a summary:
South Patrick Shores (including south PAFB): 70G90mph
Satellite Beach: probably hurricane force 75G100mph
Exceptions: Grant Avenue to Harwood Avenue: 80G105mph
Sandy Pointe to Lansing Island: 70G90mph
Melbourne Beach: 80G105mph, except for a small stretch evident along Riverside Drive: 85G110mph (could have been a mini-tornado)

North PAFB and Cocoa Beach probably had 65mph gusting to 80mph.

Damage in Satellite Beach was not as bad as Erin in 1995, however, I hate to say this, but I believe that the many new condos (which did rather well) probably lifted most of the stronger winds over the barrier island in Satellite Beach, thus reducing the extent of damage. OIA had a gust to 78mph and Melbourne recorded at gust to 105mph. Sebastian had a gust to 102mph and Vero 122mph.

I recorded tropical storm force winds from 0116 to 0700. Lowest pressure at the house was 28.98 at 0414. Storm total precipitation was 5.79 inches (0.67 on the 25th and 5.12 on the 26th). Both the lowest pressure and precip totals were very close to what was recorded at MLB.

Frances was also a minimal hurricane on the barrier islands from Satellite Beach southward. Neither storm was as strong as Erin in 1995 in Indialantic. Post storm analysis by NWS et al, indicated that no location on the mainland (in our area) had hurricane force winds from either storm, but that the barrier islands did experience minimal Cat I hurricane conditions from both storms. The 105mph gust at MLB was never confirmed and NWS has no idea as to where that report came from. The uncommonly high gust reported at the Cape Canaveral cruise terminal was false. Hope this answers your question.
Cheers,
ED

lysis...
Unregistered

Re: Impact of Jeanne on Barrier Islands *DELETED* [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #35802 - Fri May 20 2005 01:40 PM

Post deleted by Storm Cooper

Edited by LI Phil (Fri May 20 2005 08:10 PM)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: Impact of Jeanne on Barrier Islands [Re: lysis...]
      #35808 - Fri May 20 2005 10:09 PM

Phil, thanks... I got home, but I posted this as an unregistered user, and as such, I cannot delete it. Could you do the honors? Again, thanks.

I got you covered

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Storm Cooper (Fri May 20 2005 10:13 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5937

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center