F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Pages: 1
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Main Page Modifications
      #37400 - Thu Jun 23 2005 04:46 AM

I modified the main page to load up/render quicker. At least I hope.

The new main page uses no html tables now, a lot of the other pages still do. But with 3 panels it was causes long render times sometimes, so I modified it greatly to use CSS.

Bottom line, the main page should take less time to appear now.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Main Page Modifications [Re: MikeC]
      #37488 - Sat Jun 25 2005 12:54 AM

Seems to load quick, but I have to scroll from side to side to see the whole post.

My resolution is set at 1024x768

It's not a big deal, but you might want to see how the page looks with different resolutions, i.e., 1024x768 and 800x600

Thanks for all your hard work!
I love the site, my favorite place to hang out.

Rob

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Main Page Modifications [Re: Prospero]
      #37508 - Sat Jun 25 2005 11:29 PM

I would have to 2nd that, I too am scrolling on all refreshes. Love all the work and effort, I would just move that stuff to the top perhaps?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #37511 - Sun Jun 26 2005 12:40 AM

It does result in a bit of scrolling on Internet Explorer, as I can attest to with my laptop where I'm always on IE, but on my old Linux desktop with Firefox, everything is turning out alright. The screen resolution is a bit bigger on this one -- 1280x1024 -- but nonetheless it looks about the same as it always has here.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Main Page Modifications [Re: Clark]
      #37516 - Sun Jun 26 2005 02:50 PM

Blah IE and its CSS bugs drvie me crazy, anyway it should be fixed now. Lef me know if anything else odd appears.

I'm testing this both in Firefox and IE6.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
      #37527 - Sun Jun 26 2005 08:04 PM

All better, thanks for the continued dedication!!

Not sure what happened, I am scrolling again

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Edited by Tazmanian93 (Sun Jun 26 2005 09:42 PM)

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Main Page Modifications [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #37536 - Sun Jun 26 2005 09:55 PM

Yes, thank you so much, it is a lot more convenient.
Rob

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #37645 - Wed Jun 29 2005 02:27 AM

I noticed a few more problems today that I fixed. And changed the default recon decoder to teddy's for now.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #37646 - Wed Jun 29 2005 02:35 AM

Recon decoder was working great while ago.
Thanks for all your work.
When do you sleep?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
      #37651 - Wed Jun 29 2005 11:41 AM

Good morning, sorry to say, scrolling again, at home and @ work.

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Main Page Modifications [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #37680 - Wed Jun 29 2005 11:00 PM

Fixed a lot more today, and if you try printing or print preview on a lot of pages it should remove the header and menubars when you print.

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
      #37686 - Thu Jun 30 2005 01:44 AM

Mike - I like the new ability to turn on and off weather statements.. kudos, great job.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Main Page Modifications [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #37689 - Thu Jun 30 2005 04:54 AM

Yeah i just added the ability to turn it off entirely if you so wish. Activated some server side caching, and got redundant databases up. it's still using MySQL for the moment, Need to migrate it to InnoDB at least so I can do backups more regularly.

Caching and the css has already had an effect. I've still go the donation link up so I can move the server out of the current link to a faster one, and maybe get a secondary database server. So far, I still haven't had much good luck finding colocation facilities, best one so far was Zipa, but that's in New Orleans of all places, and the irony of running a hurricane site there is very clear to me.

Scalability of the site is still a big concern for me. Rght now it could probably sustain another large hurricane event, most assuredly without the crazy problems of last year. And could deal with a slashdotting for the most part. Mainly thanks to the image mirrors. The only negative is that many "avatars" are not resized correctly when stored on the image server network, and I need to fix that.

The image server network is currently running with 4 servers, and that takes a good chunk of the load off the main server. Still most of the site is dynamic, but I can switch things into cached static page mode if needed, like the main page. Some of the forum pages are cached as well. Radium's hints on this have been great for that. Ubbthreads has been modified a great deal by me, and probably will be stuck at the version its at. It's a bit quicker than the stock one, but it's made to be for this site. vBulletin was another possibilty for the site, and it would have worked ok too. phpBB didn't have quite what I needed originally. It doesn't matter much now, however. If I switched again it would likely be toward whatever Radium comes up with.

There are still a lot of quirks with the site, and the links, along with the older storm spotlight, printer pages, etc still needs a revisit. Maps are off my back because of Skeetobite, so I've been mainly focusing on scalability and performance of the site. I really don't want it to go down again. But I'm sure I'll continue to tweak it all i can.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7093

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center