F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: East shift????? [Re: Ed in Va]
      #38491 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:19 PM

Quote:

Why do model discussions refer to moving the path to the right or left, rather than east and west?

Not all hurricanes move North or South, so left/right covers all the bases regardless of track...
Richard

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: damejune2]
      #38493 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:19 PM

Been watching the latest water vapor loop
www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html
Looks to me like the ridging over FL is expanding west, and I've seen no jog to the left in Dennis's track so far. It seems as if Cindy's movement NE is expanding the ridging over FL to the south. This might be why the models keep shifting left. If I were in New Orleans right now...I'd be thinking about my evacuation route (not a bad thing under any circumstances...be prepared).

...and a real Hurricane freak has www.nhc.gov as their home page <G>

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
re:Dennis Movement [Re: Ricreig]
      #38494 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:20 PM

Will Dennis needs to start really moving at 300' to catch Jamaica.The last 9 hrs it has been moving at 282' avg.Maybe the last jog is a trend to come.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: What About The Storm Structure? [Re: recmod]
      #38495 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:20 PM

I just looked at it and it looks like the bands are really starting to wrap around the LLC. Sometimes (I think) when a storm is trying to get it's act together the convection may wane a bit, but I would not be surprised to see the convection refire.

A sidenote: It appears that Dennis is on a true W/NW track:
the last advisory it moved .3 degrees north and .5 degrees west.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: What About The Storm Structure? [Re: Clark]
      #38496 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:21 PM

GFDL is intialized off the GFS Data Correct ? or am I wrong ?

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Thanks, Clark [Re: Colleen A.]
      #38497 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:21 PM

Quote:

Actually, I was joking about wanting to know NOW...just stressing how much we all hate the "hurry up and wait" mode we're in. We're used to getting information at the speed of light with all our new technology, so waiting for a storm is something that frustrates many people.

<grin>
I *know* that....but it got you to talk to me Oh, where were you 45 years ago when I was 'on the make'

...and it gave me a chance to give you an 'atta-girl' for your perspectives and thought provoking comments.

Richard

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Dennis [Re: Ricreig]
      #38498 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:27 PM

It lost another mph @2:00pm.So yesterday it was moving @ 20mph now 14mph.I think this MAY move it more to the east,again it will just give that High more time to move more east.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: WeatherNut]
      #38499 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:31 PM

Cindy moving northeast should help to erode the western extent of the ridge, not really to build it up. Were it moving due north, or accelerating off towards the east, that'd probably be the case. The trough trailing behind the storm coupled with another shortwave trough upstream of the system are & will more than likely help to erode the western extent of the ridge.

The models have really been going back and forth as it is a question of small-scale features and their timing that will influence the future track of the storm. Any small change in one or the other could result in a large forecast track (and to a lesser extent, intensity) change. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the models out to 5 days now other than to say that everyone east of Texas needs to be watching this one very closely.

Question about the GFDL/GFS: I do believe the GFDL gets the initial conditions from the GFS, but the forecast itself comes from its own model. The storm itself is initialized separately using a bogussing technique. Most US mesoscale/fine-scale models are initialized using the GFS as a background, for what it's worth.

To better answer the convection/structure question: my gut feeling is that the storm has ingested a bit of dry air coming off of the slopes of Hispaniola, affecting convection on the northwest side of the storm, but this is only a temporary impact. As it begins to move a bit further to the west, as we are seeing now, the convection should wrap entirely around the center and allow the storm to resume strengthening. Truth be told, any hold up in intensification is a good thing.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #38500 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:32 PM

That was a great picture! I happened to notice three things:
1) It looks like Cindy is pushing the Bermuda High (at least I think that's what it is) further east;
2) Dennis is ginormous...and he looks like he's getting bigger and better organized, too.
3) Look at the Cindy's tail...elongated from NE/SW.

I might be incorrect on what I'm seeing, of course, with regards to #1. Anyone please feel free to correct me!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Nice Write Up Ed [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38501 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:32 PM

Nice write up on the storm Ed. For those of you who haven't seen it check out the latest Meteorologist Blog by Ed Dunham.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: re:Dennis Movement [Re: javlin]
      #38502 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

Will Dennis needs to start really moving at 300' to catch Jamaica.The last 9 hrs it has been moving at 282' avg.Maybe the last jog is a trend to come.

I'm not at all convinced that Jamaica is in the direct path, maybe not even Haiti. Cuba...another story but if it crosses the narrow western third, it won't do too much to the storm structure, IHMO. I'm not sure the ridge over Florida will hold through the weekend so we may lose some of our 'protection' and it could edge closer than currently forecast. I think it *could* get breezy this weekend anywhere in Florida, but not necessarily stormy. Best bet for stormy remains Biloxi to Cross City *at this time*.

Richard

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Haha Frank! [Re: VandyBrad]
      #38503 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Please enlighten those of us who haven't followed this forum until recently as to what the "pucker pressure" means...

...it is a measure of 'anal retentivity'.

Richard

heynow
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Abbeville, LA
Re: Nice Write Up Ed [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #38504 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:36 PM

Lake Toho--
What is the link to Ed's blog?

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: Nice Write Up Ed [Re: heynow]
      #38505 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:40 PM

It's on the main CFHC page.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Nice Write Up Ed [Re: heynow]
      #38506 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:41 PM

Welcome to the forum! Look under the "NEWS" section at the top left hand side of the screen and click on "Met Blogs". That will get you right to Ed's write-up.

--------------------

heynow
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Abbeville, LA
Re: Nice Write Up Ed [Re: VandyBrad]
      #38507 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:41 PM

I am a numbskull. Thanks.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Clark]
      #38508 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:47 PM

Hmmm...maybe I'm not looking at it correctly. Water vapor loops have always been confusing to me. I know that high pressure runs clockwise, and it looks as though Cindy's "tail" is pulling on a NE axis which is rotating clockwise over FL and on the southern end moving west over Cuba. Also the moisture trail feeding Cindy (the tail) is starting to tilt to the right. I'm no meterologist...but it looks like the high is trying to wedge under Cindy. The dry air to the west of Cindy does not seem to be punching south at all

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #38509 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:50 PM

The ridge is there, you are reading that correctly -- the outflow from the trailing band of Cindy is feeding into the ridge, as evidenced by the anticyclonic turning. However, the appearance of the wedge is because part of the northern extent of the ridge has been eroded by the storm, assisting in the NE movement of the storm in its own right. It's partially cause, partially effect, but the latter should win out to some degree over time. It'll be an indirect impact upon Dennis & its track, but large enough to be felt I believe.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
      #38510 - Wed Jul 06 2005 06:58 PM

Clark - one of the missing elements in reporting about approaching 'cains last year was the heavy rainfall and severe thunderstorm probability.

One thing I wish was done more here to warn folks is a general map showing flooding and thunderstorm impact probabilities (ie: like the NE quadrant impacts). We all know 'cains bring wind - but what few know is how severe some of the flooding and thunderstorms can be (tormatic type). The SWIFTMUD flooding potential maps were way off last year for the most part.

Maybe as Skeeto puts his maps together, and you report to us what you have the time to report, you might provide him/us with additional ideas of where the heavier parts of the storms will be - impact other than just wind. Say, if Dennis was to just graze Tampa Bay on his way up the Gulf, Orlando could very well be in the hardest hit (other than wind) part of the storm. Just an idea..

StormSurfer
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #38511 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:01 PM

I know we already got Dennis on our hands and we're watching it. But looks like they're really starting to roll in now. Looks like a pretty big one rolling in the western Atlantic?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center