F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: MikeC]
      #38512 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:02 PM

Looks like we've got an eye now
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-vis-loop.html

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #38513 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:02 PM

what do u think cindy will do when it gets back in the atl? and does the wave off africa pose a threat?

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: WeatherNut]
      #38515 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:07 PM

Thats not a eye, just center of circulation,kinda the same though right?
Anyways Ill post my forecast late tonight and repeat it Thursday. Pretty much
ED is thinking the same as I am. This is simular to both Ivan and Charlie. I though dont expect a NE turn like Charlie. At same time I dont expect a path as far west as Ivan. Think of crossing Cuba between Ivan and Charlie, then heading NNW or N thru the eastern gulf. How close to western Florida near Keywest? Tampa? Too early to tell. But I do think Hurricane watches will go up for the Keys tomorrow at 5am.

scottsvb

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
      #38516 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:08 PM

the"eye" feature in that photo is not an eye..the LLC is south and west of that hole you see.

--------------------
doug

Hurricane Freak
Unregistered

#38517 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:08 PM

Yep, I can see a small "depression" just a little bit north of the forecasted point

LizL
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: St Cloud, Fl
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Hurricane Freak]
      #38518 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:10 PM

It comes to St Cloud. I will be ready lol got the cam set up for this one

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: nl]
      #38519 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:10 PM

I dunno...looks like some cool SSTs between 30-40 degrees, and its kind of far south. It is impressive though for this early. See if it holds together next day or 2.

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: WeatherNut]
      #38520 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:12 PM

doesnt this look like the hartsfield airport? wonder where they are landing?

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Hurricane Freak]
      #38521 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:13 PM

That last frame looks as though its forming an eye

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: nl]
      #38522 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:15 PM

CMC has her as a non-factor, the wave I saw earlier, but so much going on with Dennis couldn't multi-task him, the wave and office job LOL. I know it's early, but right now the only model I like from a Tampa/Causeway perspective is the GFS right now. And not liking the early forecast for anyone. I'll be gettin some gasolina tonight for the power

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

schmee
Unregistered

Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: doug]
      #38523 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:15 PM

Hi All,

This is probably a stupid question but I'm wondering when there will be a better idea of where Dennis is going -- maybe Saturday?
I know its still too soon to tell and most folks around here say the track is too far west right now so there will be no effects on New Orleans but..
If we do get an evac I will probably go this year -- didn't leave for Ivan which I was very glad since we literally got nothing. After Cindy last night though I don't want to see what a big storm will do. I'll have to make plans fairly early with 3 big dogs and a cat.
Hopefully this will be irrelevant to me but I'm still curious on when it looks like we'll have better info
Thanks!

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Nice Write Up Ed [Re: heynow]
      #38524 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:18 PM

Ed's views added scientific support to what I wrote in #38424. It is nice to be in good company.
All those models take the storm between Jamaica and Cuba. If it passes south of the island that will defienitely signal a track shift.

--------------------
doug

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: doug]
      #38525 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:18 PM

we'll see in the next couple of frames...but it sure looks like an eye is forming

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #38526 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:19 PM

Without stealing Skeetobite's thunder, you'll likely see something like that -- projected rainfall amounts -- with the new suite of maps they are working on. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

With regards to an eye -- wouldn't be surprised; recon out there found an eyewall of 30 mi., open on the NW side (not surprising). Also found a pressure of 989mb...suggesting the intensity is about what the NHC has said. Might be a satellite artifact right now, but I imagine we'll start to see one once Dennis is done ingesting dry air.

On track uncertainty/certainty: probably by Friday, we'll have a better idea of where it is going. By then, SE US NWS sites should be lauching 6hrly upper-air observations, and Saturday's 12Z model runs should have the upper-air surveillance data from ahead of the storm in them as well (if not another set of runs before then). Just it moving closer to the US should narrow the cone somewhat.

On the African wave: too early to be watching it, in my view, with Dennis on our hands (and Cindy still around, dumping a lot of rain and spawning some isolated tornadoes). Waters are warmer than normal out there this time of year, but still a little too shallow with the warmth until you get to about 45-50 W (or stay south of 10 N) for anything to really get going. Worth watching down the line, but not now.

On track shift if south of Jamaica: I wouldn't go so far as to say that, really. Remember what Charley and Ivan were forecast to do and did: forecast to cross/move along the north side of the island, yet approached it and were shunted just south of the island. Terrain likely played a role in both cases. However, it did not play a significant role in the final track of the storm, as there were compensating factors in both cases that made up for it. It's something to watch to see if it persists after it passes the island -- assuming it passes south of there, of course -- but nothnig to hang your hat on, in my opinion.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: scottsvb1]
      #38527 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:20 PM

I think we are on the same page at least early on here.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

StormSurfer
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #38528 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:21 PM

Didn't even realize that up to now Dennis has a very similar track so far to Charley from last year. But I think that track may change in another day or so hopefully.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: schmee]
      #38529 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:24 PM

schmee... Let me strongly suggest you register. If you do, people will be able to better know where you are located and to send you private mail with more detailed answers than may be poffered in the forum itself. I get the impression you are in the area affected by Cindy, and if so, I expect you have until Monday or Tuesday morning before you could be affected (given the speed of the storm does not increase too much). Given the time it takes to board up or get supplies (you do have them already, don't you), you might need to make an educated decision about Saturday afternoon or evening about what, when and where. However, be advised that Dennis, like all tropical weather, plays by its' rules, not ours so keep alert and prepared to move/make decisions sooner if warranted. Best bet: Get your plans and preparation done NOW. If you need it, you already have it and can concentrate on implementation. If it goes elsewhere, well, it is a long season ahead and I doubt it will go to waste, and if it does turn out to not be needed, go camping somewhere Then you can munch the non-perishable goodies around the camp-fire in the coolness of Fall weather. Bottom line: This weekend by Saturday you should pretty well know.

Richard

schmee
Unregistered

Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Ricreig]
      #38530 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:30 PM

Thanks Richard!
I am registered but having problems logging in -- sorry about that.
Fortunately, I have all my supplies but am more worried about evac this time.
I do realise its all an educated guess at this point but was just wondering when things would get a little more definite.
Thanks to all on this boad as well!

LizL
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: St Cloud, Fl
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Ricreig]
      #38531 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:32 PM

I have almost all of my supplies, expcept for a few more batteries having kids in the house kinda hurts, but i have gas, all allthings i need. got my boards ready just n case , still marked from last yr but never hurts to be over prepared. I hope all the others do the same , just in case we get another one here in st cloud.

P.S. this is what our local tv station has on it about Dennis
http://www.wftv.com/weather/4685605/detail.html

Edited by LizL (Wed Jul 06 2005 07:35 PM)

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: schmee]
      #38532 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks Richard!
I am registered but having problems logging in -- sorry about that.
Fortunately, I have all my supplies but am more worried about evac this time.
I do realise its all an educated guess at this point but was just wondering when things would get a little more definite.
Thanks to all on this boad as well!

Then you are way ahead of the game. Evacuating 4 times (mobile home) last year tried my stamina and it is not a decision made lightly. You have a lot of things to consider and you should play some 'what if' games now and plan some likely scenereos. Stuff like CAT 1, direct hit, or Major Direct hit or probable TS winds only, Live on the beach or well inland, structure type and strength and how it fared in previous storms, flood prone or high ground. Expected rainfall...you know, the stuff you need to make decisions. Then, on Saturday, or whenever, you concentrate on your 'triggers' for the various scenereos and act accordingly. Having made the decisions when you had cool head and time to think will be a real asset. Fear and worry induce mistakes that could prove costly, so make the plans early, sit back and keep informed.

Good luck,
Richard

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 343 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center