F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: LizL]
      #38533 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:39 PM

Checking in again from Atlanta, and right now Cindy is behaving very badly over Montgomery, Ala. area with 6 counties under Tornado Warnings right now and the bulk of that is heading right for the Peach state. The entire metro Atlanta area is under a flood watch til 4pm tomorrow and the counties to the immediate south of Atlanta are under a Tornado Watch until 8pm EDT, and there is some talk that it may be extended to include the city of Atlanta later on as well. If you have friends in the Atlanta area keep them in your thoughts as we are gonna have a rough 36 hours here with 4+ inches of rain forecast over the area.....What I would'nt give right now for a good ol fashioned fish spinner!

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lawgator
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: E C Fla.
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Clark]
      #38534 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:39 PM

Not that I am any sort of expert, but I completely agree with Clark that it is premature to proclaim a track shift to the west if Dennis goes underneath Jamaica. Although it is true that a jog left or right now often extrapolates out down the road in the sense that the models might be over or underinfluenced by some environmental feature, it is not necessarily the case that the models being off by 50 miles now turns into it being 250 miles off 4 days from now.

This is one of the things that frustrates me most about atificial "straight line models" -- if the forecast point is off by half a a degree today, then people want to "redraw" the same straight line they just had on their charts, using the new point to run from. The consequence is that the error now translates into a massive move down the line when, in reality, the storm isn't following a straight line to begin with and can shift back the moment you go to bed that night.

No pun intended, but experience tells us that an error now does not have a linear effect on the storm beyond now. .

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: LizL]
      #38535 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:42 PM

You too are in good shape. Frankly, I don't suspect you will have much use for the supplies in St Cloud *this* time around, but if it does get too close, you are ready. You are here, keeping informed, and that is the best thing you can do given you are already prepared otherwise. We might get a bit wet, maybe eve a tad breezy, but I don't think this storm is 'ours'...not that the panhandle needs it to be 'theirs'

Be safe,
Richard

John03
Unregistered

Re: major shift west in most models [Re: lawgator]
      #38536 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:45 PM

looks like N.O. might now be under the gun?

major shift west? seems the models jumped a little

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Ricreig]
      #38537 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:55 PM

Have been lurking all day, thought I would jump into the fray. "Pucker Factor" just jumped 5 levels at work - - employer handed out Hurricane prep guidesheets and emergency numbers for all employees. Standing order is to call in before going in. Probably very premature but this company got caught last year by requireing employees to come to work even though authorities were telling all non-essentials to stay off roads. Oh well - - This is life in FLA

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: John03]
      #38538 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:55 PM

am I crazy, or is Dennis getting larger?....(in total sq miles) sure seems like it is growing, which would explain it's reluctance to begin it's spin up....

which just means...of course, we will have a monster on our hands....

I still have a feeling New Orleans is under the gun.....

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: John03]
      #38539 - Wed Jul 06 2005 07:56 PM

Quote:

looks like N.O. might now be under the gun?

major shift west? seems the models jumped a little

It has never been NOT under the gun, nor has any part of the GOM. I would start to be 'concerned' when the models STOP moving left and right. When they are this uncertain, it means nothing is locked into stone at this point, and that is good. When they all agree, *then* it is under the gun. For now, the best we can do is play the game and double check our plans and preparation.
Richard

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Ricreig]
      #38540 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:04 PM

Based on satellite presentation, I would say that he is filling out, Rick.

Edited by Lysis (Wed Jul 06 2005 08:05 PM)

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Wingman51]
      #38541 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Have been lurking all day, thought I would jump into the fray. "Pucker Factor" just jumped 5 levels at work - - - This is life in FLA

Yes, it is likely that those that 'raise to the level of their incompetance' (bosses), will be among the first to overreact. Try and be the leveling factor by being alert, aware and educated. Did he tell you how many drops per hour constitute a flood and don't come in? I thought not....I guess they want you to be smarter than they are this year

(Bosses: if you've been prematurely promoted to a level of incompentacy you don't (yet) deserve, ignore the above indictment)

Richard

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Lysis]
      #38542 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:08 PM

Yes, Dennis is now beginning to show his muscle. Looks to me to be heading at 300/305 degrees.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #38543 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:09 PM

Not to move away from Dennis, but Cindy amazingly has kept her form today more so than I would have expected after all this time?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #38544 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:09 PM

Quote:

am I crazy, or is Dennis getting larger?....(in total sq miles) sure seems like it is growing, which would explain it's reluctance to begin it's spin up....

From 2am this morning to 2pm this afternoon, the winds have increased from 50mph to 70mph. The T.S. force winds have increased from 60mi from the center to 85mi from the center. And it's probably not going to stop there. For comparison, at one point T.S. winds extended outward up to 220mi from the center of Ivan.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #38545 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:10 PM

Tell me about it, Ricreig. Last year, my Dad's boss told him to come to work in lieu of preparing for Charley. When he asked him what he would do about his family, his boss simply told him, "bring the kids with you".

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Wed Jul 06 2005 08:11 PM)

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: AgentB]
      #38546 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:13 PM

From NWS MLB AFD

"IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THE INHERENT ERRORS THAT OCCUR THIS FAR
OUT IN FORECASTING TRACKS OF TROPICAL CYCLONES. THE OPERATIONAL GFS
TAKES THE SYSTEM WELL TO OUR WEST INTO THE CENTRAL GOMEX. HOWEVER...
THE GFS ENSEMBLES ARE EXHIBITING A LARGE AMOUNT OF VARIABILITY WITH
ONE PERTURBATION SUGGESTING A TRACK AS FAR EAST AS THE BAHAMAS.
REFER TO STATEMENTS FROM THE National Hurricane Center FOR THE
LATEST OFFICIAL STORM INFORMATION."

I don't think anyone will know where this system is going until the air sampling missions send in new data to be fed into the models.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #38547 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:16 PM

Just an fyi on direction, since Dennis became Dennis, movement from 05/1745 to 06/1145 1.10 Lat and 3.40 Lon

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: major shift west in most models [Re: lawgator]
      #38548 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:18 PM

Let me clarify what I meant since I suggested that if Dennis goes south of a forecasted point Jamaica it meant a definite change in the track...I think that was taken as as determination of some indicator of the ultimate landfall point shifting west which of curse it does not: BUT it will shift those forecast models further left, I bet. They recalculate every 6 hours any way. Hope this helps.

--------------------
doug

Hurricane Freak
Unregistered

Re: major shift west in most models [Re: Jamiewx]
      #38549 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:19 PM

So cute, little monster is opneing his eye.....
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-ir4-loop.html

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Comparing Dennis To Ivan And Charley [Re: doug]
      #38550 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:20 PM

Accuweather has an interesting graphic comparing Dennis to Ivan and Charley.

Graphic

Note about the image, the Dennis forecast shown there is Accuweather's not NHC.

Edited by Jamiewx (Wed Jul 06 2005 08:24 PM)

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Direction [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #38551 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:21 PM

It is almost certain it will become a GOM event- but we will learn more on Thursday.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Comparing Dennis To Ivan And Charley [Re: Jamiewx]
      #38552 - Wed Jul 06 2005 08:22 PM

Jamie - thanks for that link. That is very interesting to see the three side by side. I guess after Dennis make his path it will be even more interesting.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center