F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: East shift????? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #38410 - Wed Jul 06 2005 03:46 PM

Yes,this is going to be very interesting the next couple of days.If I lived on the keys,I would be packing right now.Dennis slowed from 20mph yesterday to 15mph at 11:00am today,that COULD BE bad news for S FL.,given the upcoming easterly movement of that high.What to you guys think??

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: East shift????? [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38411 - Wed Jul 06 2005 03:52 PM

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT04/refresh/AL0405P+gif/092623P_sm.gif

--------------------

Mike
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Port St. John, Fla
      #38412 - Wed Jul 06 2005 03:58 PM

Kennedy Space Center uses the Air Force for their hurricane information. The Air Force does work very closely with the NHC on this stuff. The nice thing is that we get the Air Force opinions on the NHC tracks. Usually closer in though to landfall.

Edited by Mike (Wed Jul 06 2005 04:01 PM)

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #38413 - Wed Jul 06 2005 03:59 PM

The new 5 day forcast track now has the whole state of Florida in the "cone". http://www.nbc6.net/weather/4687760/detail.html#

--------------------

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Bryan, TX
Effect on Oil and Gas??? [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38414 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:06 PM

Long time lurker... thought I'd offer my $0.02. I must say that I am slightly worried about the effects of a major central GOM event may have on the oil infrastructure. Having a lot of family in the Kissimmee/St. Cloud area and currently living in Gainesville myself, I certainly do not desire a catastrophic hurricane in Florida. However, I'm more worried about the long term effects a system like this could potentially have on the already steep gas prices if our infrastructure takes significant damage. Indeed, gas prices already appear to be climbing in anticipation of the storm around here. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Effect on Oil and Gas??? [Re: VandyBrad]
      #38415 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:10 PM

Cindy has already caused a spike in gas prices. That's the market for you. You can only imagine that will spike even further with Dennis.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #38416 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:12 PM

Sure there could be actual legit effects of a hurricane to cause an increase in prices...also makes a good excuse for them to raise anyway...guarantee that will happen & that the majority of the public will buy it...no pun intended...as well.

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: Effect on Oil and Gas??? [Re: twizted sizter]
      #38417 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:14 PM

Does anyone here have knowledge regarding the types of conditions that oil rigs, docks, and pipelines can handle when it comes to these storms?

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: East shift????? [Re: ]
      #38418 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:20 PM

It is also right under the Dennis write-up on the main page.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: The High Pressure Ridge [Re: Colleen A.]
      #38419 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:25 PM

Sorry, East

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #38420 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:25 PM

The NHC 5 day cone, which was updated at 11am Wednesday, does not have all of Florida in it.

With Charley you could "see" the path he was going to take. It was very evident on the WV maps/loop at the time that he probably wasn't going to make it as far north as Tampa before crossing the peninsula.

The climatology currently in place isn't exactly the same so a direct comparison between the two situations can't really be made. There is a high sitting next to Florida. It is forecast to dissipate a bit, but like the others have said, it's changing its "shape". How much it changes and/or weakens will play a role in where the northern motion of Dennis begins to increase. Dennis has moved much further west than north in the last 24hrs(2.1degreesN, 4.9degreesW), and, like usual, it's going to be a waiting game of sorts to see what sort of weather patterns setup for the next few days.

To everyone affected by Cindy, I hope you came through relatively unscathed. I think she got stronger than some thought she would.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
      #38421 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:26 PM

Interesting article, not sure if this was the info you were looking for. http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/index.ph...re-analysis.xml

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: East shift????? [Re: AgentB]
      #38422 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:29 PM

All you have to do is go to this site and click on the map,Sure looks like all of Florida to me. http://www.nbc6.net/weather/4687760/detail.html

--------------------

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #38423 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:30 PM

I just watched the ABC Action News here in Tampa and the forecaster gave the best explanation I have heard yet! Here's the major points:
1. The track HAS shifted slightly to the east - at 5:00AM they were showing it going into Mobile. At 11AM, it was Pensacola. He made a point of showing the 5:00am track and comparing it to the 11:00am track.
2. He said that there is a trough moving down from the (what looked to me) part of the west...then he said that if Dennis slows down, that trough would push the High Pressure Ridge to the east, allowing Dennis to come closer to us.
3. Just like ftlaudbob's post from his local NBC affiliate, the entire state of Florida is now in the cone...this is also different than it was this morning and yesterday.
4. He said: "The continuing trend to the east is something that we all need to pay attention to, so those of you who haven't done so already need to get your hurricane kits prepared."
5. He also said that this track also reminded him of Charley's track last year and that "I certainly hope that does not happen again."

People have been accused of "wishcasting" here; I am not wishcasting, I'm reporting what I'm hearing from the local mets and I am staying with my stance that if the eastward shift - no matter how minute or small - continues over the next few days, Florida will have a problem on their hands.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
      #38424 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:30 PM

That is actually not new. I try to have fun with this stuff &
I too try to do my own study of what's happening ahead of the storm from the only tools we have actually: PIX from above. I just spent a few minutes on the 8km visible loop and note that the flow ahead of Dennis is pretty consistent until about 83w. Then the flow sharply turns north. The flow around the high centered just NE of the penindula is just off the northern cuba coast and it also curves encircling the peninsula...
There is a short wave trough visible with distrubances rapidly digging to the SE through Arkansas and Texas and a point of convergence diagonally across the GOM from the Yucatan into the Florida Panhandle
It looks like these distrubances will get down into the western GOM region ahead of Dennis' emergence into the central GOM, and if so could invigorate the SW-NE flow ahead of it keeping Dennis from ever going to far past 83w.
If it stayed as is now...Dennis would track into the panhandle in my opinion.

--------------------
doug

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
      #38425 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:31 PM

While it probably doesn't matter, this is not an official map...

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0706/4687722_400X300.jpg

Remember that the media likes to jump on things.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Wed Jul 06 2005 04:38 PM)

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #38426 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Does anyone here have knowledge regarding the types of conditions that oil rigs, docks, and pipelines can handle when it comes to these storms?

Not sure about the rigs/pipelines in general, but here's an article on the damage done by Ivan.

Ivan Oil Rig Damage

--------------------
Check the Surf

Steve hirschb.
Unregistered

Re: East shift????? [Re: AgentB]
      #38427 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:33 PM

Hate to be the bearer of good news, but the UKMET and GFS have shifted west on their 12Z runs. The GFS a shade to the west, the UKMET quite a bit. NOGAPS is about the same. NAM is lost, with the storm showing up in the middle of Florida. NAM looks out to lunch.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: East shift????? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #38428 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:34 PM

Thanks for backing me up Colleen.

--------------------

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: East shift????? [Re: Steve hirschb.]
      #38429 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:36 PM

Lee County EOC has said because SW Florida is in the three-day NHC cone, they are meeting to discuss emergency actions, and to decide if they should activate. Nothing will be announced until Thursday, however.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55017

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center