F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 242 (Idalia) , Major: 242 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 242 (Idalia) Major: 242 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Southern4sure]
      #38857 - Thu Jul 07 2005 01:44 PM

Southern, I know you asked yesterday but News Channel 8 Steve Jerve (spelling) is the most reliable in my book. I watched him during Charlie until my power went out and he was blow by blow city by city and actually at times, street by street when it came down to bad weather, winds, hail, funnel clouds, etc. I trust them and they are very professional.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ronnie_b
Unregistered

Re: Keys [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #38858 - Thu Jul 07 2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

I agree, the Keys are a bear to evacuate. It's always a tough call for the Emergency Management folks.

Well, if you believe the 00Z run of the GFDL, the lower keys will experience CAT 3 winds by 8 PM Friday EDT. I think very soon, a Hurricane Watch will be needed for the lower and middle keys with evacuation orders following soon thereafter

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
models [Re: ronnie_b]
      #38860 - Thu Jul 07 2005 01:56 PM

models I see are still centered on a Northern Gulf hit. UKMET still goes west to LA, GFDL goes east to PCB area and the GFS is right up the middle generally (a little east) where the official track is now. I would look for a slight move east of the track at 11AM, but not very far.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #38864 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:12 PM

Truthfully, the NHC is doing pretty well with the track, and it should continue to be a good one. I don't think it will vary drastically from what the forecast track is now, 11AM should be interesting, though, probably a tad east at the longest ranges. The satellite link I've got on the main page article shows it's a bit north of the forecasted track, though. Which is why I think 11AM will be interesting.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: A Wobble NW [Re: zacros]
      #38865 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:13 PM

Not to contradict HankFrank, who is more knowledable than I, but I disagree this is a correction around Jamaica...something else is happening

--------------------
doug

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: A Wobble NW [Re: doug]
      #38866 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:16 PM

Like what?

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #38867 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:16 PM

Doug,

Please go on,I would be interested in what you think maybe happening.I think I may know,But I am holding back right now.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

GERRYL
Unregistered

Re: models [Re: jth]
      #38868 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:17 PM

web page

ya all take a look at this. it just came out

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #38869 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:17 PM

Obviously a wobble back west the last few hours. Agree with Mike. NHC doing a great job thusfar and have no reason to disagree with their track. Along with Mike, I do expect a small shift east at 11AM, but they could keep the track the same and wait for consistency in the models.

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
      #38870 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:18 PM

Goodness, looks like some of us need some coffee this morning.

I am feeling better about this storm as far as it not heading in our direction. Even though, I still have that "not-so-good" feeling in my tummy. I think because I lived in Pensacola, my heart is still there.

Those of you along the Southern Gulf States, you guys need a break. A nice long break. I sure wish there was something I could do, but know that a gal in Winter Haven is hoping for a miracle for you guys.

The I-10 bridge connecting Santa Rosa and Escambia County is still out?? I am coming that way in a month or so for a baby shower and looks like I may need to find out how to get to P'cola by a different road. Ouch.

Hang in there guys if you get Dennis.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: models [Re: GERRYL]
      #38871 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:20 PM

That's the MM5, not the FSU superensemble and it has been out for quite a while. Has had an east bias all along.

Orlando, FL
Unregistered

Re: models [Re: jth]
      #38872 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:22 PM

By these new models, I would say that the west coast of Florida isn't totally out of the woods yet.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: A Wobble NW [Re: Katie]
      #38873 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

I am coming that way in a month or so for a baby shower and looks like I may need to find out how to get to P'cola by a different road. Ouch.

Given our recent craziness maybe you should say you are *planning* on going out there
I really hate this hurry up and wait that we have to do but I think I still hate the term "hunker down" even more. I pray for the safety of everyone in it's path. We are fortunate we can evacuate to another state. Jamaicans can't go anywhere.

Once again, for the first of many times this season, thanx to all who make this forum what it is.

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: models [Re: GERRYL]
      #38874 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:24 PM

Man, I hope that track is way off! I mean the peninsula of Fla first would get hammered and then Atlanta (sigh).

What we need is for the Georgia House and State Senate as well as Congress just to have their sessions now at Key West, and the hot air alone could send Dennis out into the Atlantic to be a fish spinner......

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: A Wobble NW [Re: Katie]
      #38875 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:26 PM

From 8AM yesterday to 8AM today Dennis moved 2.3N and 4.1W. Much more west than north. However, from 5AM-8AM he's moved just a bit more north than west(.5N/.3W). Checking the loops it seems that instead of a deliberate movement to the north it was more of a stairstep motion.

I'm sure the models will continue to "move" throughout the day. Like was said before, Thursday into Friday will make the picture a little clearer, but that doesn't mean any type of certain landfall point will be nailed down. Just that some will have a higher probability than others.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Orlando, FL
Unregistered

Re: models [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #38876 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:26 PM

Hm.. I think I'm going to fill up my five gallon gas tanks for my generator.. just in case.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: FSU Superensemble [Re: geekicane]
      #38877 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:26 PM

With the strong blowups, like you mention with either Andrew or Charley (another case is Opal in 1995), usually the cause is determined, though maybe not for several years. It may also be a multitude of causes, all interrelated, leading to deep intensification. With Andrew and Charley, both small storms, they reacted very violently to favorable external forcing, spinning up in a rapid period of time. The exact causes, however, still remains up for debate with Charley. Andrew is a bit more straightforward, with very favorable atmospheric conditions (internal factors not withstanding), but more effort has been focused on determining its actual intensity -- cat 4 or 5 -- versus on researching the storm itself.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: models [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #38878 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:27 PM

What we need is for the Georgia House and State Senate as well as Congress just to have their sessions now at Key West, and the hot air alone could send Dennis out into the Atlantic to be a fish spinner......

...ok, that made me laugh.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Thu Jul 07 2005 02:28 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: A Wobble NW [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #38879 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:30 PM

GuppieGrouper -- for the U.S., that is correct, as many have been stating all along. But, for Jamaica, wobbles are critically important as the storm nears the island. It kept up that NW wobble that I mentioned from last night and looks like it might pass just north of the island; all it took for that is a small little jog north, just like Charley's jog east last year.

They become important if they persist for a long period of time or if they occur right before landfall. Otherwise, usually they just average out.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Clark????? [Re: Clark]
      #38880 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:33 PM

Are you sticking to a PCB or east hit....What about the FSU Super has it's track changed?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 48503

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center