F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: AndyG]
      #38643 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:44 PM

I have to agree with everyone about Steve Jerve. That guy must have stayed up for 72 hours straight with naps in between. He also has a good, strong head on his shoulders and doesn't overhype, underhype -- he just tells it like he sees it. When I had to listen on the radio last year because we had no cable, his demeanor was the most calming.
Dennis Philips can kiss my grits.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Londovir]
      #38644 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:45 PM

Thanks so much for the info.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Track and Models [Re: Brett]
      #38646 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:48 PM

Brett -- something like the MM5 is a mesoscale model, whichever flavor of the MM5 you prefer. The globals are the GFS, ECMWF, NOGAPS, UKMET, and so on. The statistical models take their output and modify it, whether as a simple mean or by applying some sort of regression/minimization technique to it, and include the FSU Superensemble and the various ensemble means.

I'm just primarily concerned about the ability of the global models -- which don't have quite as good resolution as the mesoscale models -- to pick up on the fine-scale features that will determine/influence Dennis' track. They may well prove to be perfect with the track, but as with any model output -- including the mesoscale and statistical model -- you've got to remain skeptical and use it as it is intended to be used: as guidance.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

st.pete boy
Unregistered

Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Southern4sure]
      #38647 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:50 PM

Jumping the gun: LOOK WHAT ABC ACTION NEWS IS SAYING
"Dennis has become the season's first hurricane. It looks like it will miss the bay area and Florida's west coast entirely. "! How do they KNOW SO far in advance!?

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: st.pete boy]
      #38648 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:53 PM

The collective media compromises a group of highly paid morons. While the NHC has some problems of its own, an incompetent media doesn't help to relay an already obscure message like this.

Easy now...I am sure you don't include our mets in that group.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed Jul 06 2005 11:55 PM)

st.pete boy
Unregistered

#38649 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:54 PM

Their advice is misleading...there's no guarantee it will miss W. FL. I HOPE it does...but there is no guarantee....

Hurricane Freak
Unregistered

Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Lysis]
      #38650 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:55 PM

Quote:

The collective media compromises a group of highly paid morons. While the NHC has some problems of its own, an incompetent media doesn't help to relay an already obscure message like this.

Agreed. This apply for almost everything on TV, not only weather forecasts

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #38651 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:57 PM

They DON'T know, and that's why I can't stand watching them. Last year after Charley hit, they were trying to say they were "the best weather team in Tampa because we predicted the turn FIRST."
Yeah, I don't THINK so..
By the way...I just checked the satellite loops; looks to me like it isn't a jog, but a true NW movement. Will just have to keep on watching.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Hurricane Freak]
      #38652 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:00 AM

Actually, they may only have the appearance of highly paid morons, as that is what they are designed to be. They dumb down the art of complex forecasting to the point where the everyman can figure out if it is going to rain or not on the way to work. Because of this retardation, it can become difficult to distinguish whether or not someone is genuinely an idiot, or just feigning it.

ahem... I am off topic

EDIT: Of course I don't include any of the fine people at flhurricane, or any of the genuine tv mets out there.

Edited by Lysis (Thu Jul 07 2005 12:02 AM)

BullitNutz
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: VIPIR? [Re: st.pete boy]
      #38653 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:01 AM

VIPIR is something I haven't let the proverbial jury back in for. Yet. I recall there being a big hubbub with one of the Bay Area stations and Charley, there being a single model showing the hard NE turn into Punta Gorda. IIRC, this was VIPIR. Anyone care to confirm/kill?

I live in the East Orlando (UCF) area, attending the university, and home is Port Richey (central Pasco, along the 19 corridor) so I generally experience a lot of "crosstalk" when it comes to the various wx stations/personalities around here and at home.

Though I don't expect Dennis to roll through Orlando, I've got my apartment stocked. I'm a tad more worried about my hometown though. Anyone willing to impart a good digest of the conditions/general wisdom w.r.t. Dennis?

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #38654 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:02 AM

Quote:

I got limbs to pick up from today (Cindy) but I told my wife that I was gonna wait till the big one comes and goes then pick it all up at one time.

LOL......hopefully Lowe's or Home Depot has those large trash bags on sale today or tomorrow for you........

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: VIPIR? [Re: BullitNutz]
      #38656 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

VIPIR is something I haven't let the proverbial jury back in for. Yet. I recall there being a big hubbub with one of the Bay Area stations and Charley, there being a single model showing the hard NE turn into Punta Gorda. IIRC, this was VIPIR. Anyone care to confirm/kill?

I live in the East Orlando (UCF) area, attending the university, and home is Port Richey (central Pasco, along the 19 corridor) so I generally experience a lot of "crosstalk" when it comes to the various wx stations/personalities around here and at home.

Though I don't expect Dennis to roll through Orlando, I've got my apartment stocked. I'm a tad more worried about my hometown though. Anyone willing to impart a good digest of the conditions/general wisdom w.r.t. Dennis?

Yeah, it was Jerve with VIPIR

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Interesting post from Storm2K [Re: st.pete boy]
      #38657 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:05 AM

I just read a post by Steve in Storm2K.... FOX 8 weather uses a model program called VIPIR, I am not that familiar with it, but I know it nailed Cindy's track 2.5 days out... Steve also mentioned it did very well last year with Ivan, and was accurate on both Arlene and Bret earlier this year.... for what is worth, and probaby not much this far out, it's latest run has Dennis impacting just west of NO... similar to a Betsy track.... as a side note, it was reported by Bob Breck, weather Guru at Fox 8, that he had friend at the NHC that said Dennis could be a Cat 4 at landfall... if this comes to fruition, and I'm not saying it will because I have no idea where Dennis is going, it would be very similar to another Georges 98 track, but only a lot stronger, and perhaps a worse case scenario for N'awlins... Steve, if your monitoring the board please feel to comment on the VIPIR, and its track on Dennis...

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Lysis]
      #38658 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:08 AM

OK. Everyone chill on this, please! There are mets here local that I do not like... you have "forecasters" and you have "mets"... The majority of these people(I think) really do the best job they can with the info they have access to. We all have our trusted favorites and like models, the out in left field guys. I guess I am trying to prevent an all out bashing of mets/forecasters/on-air faces. We all again have things on the line and lets just do the best we can.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: VIPIR? [Re: BullitNutz]
      #38659 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:10 AM

I am 45 miles west of you/ The best advice is to wait until it gets to Cuba. By then you will know whether or not it will be close enough to the Peninsula to board up lock down or leave. But, if you are planning on getting gasoline, and don't have to use it sooner, I would get it now. By the time the media knows what side the butter is on, there won't be any gas to get. Orlando, Lake Wales and points West got really hit hard from the 3 last year and we all have good memories of what it takes to make it through. It is best to be over cautious. Especially on things you can use August through November.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

bigpapi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Colleen A.]
      #38660 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:12 AM

Sorry for the technical questions. I've looked at the past discussions and I notice the 8pm advisory has Dennis moving 13mph. Now on the past advisories it mentioned Dennis moving about 16 mph and that general speed to continue for the next few days until it moves NW around the edge of the ridge.

Wouldn't this change some of the models and make a NW turn more towards central Cuba and put the Keys more at risk? Or will Dennis probably just speed up again.

Also Dennis looks like if he keeps the current heading for the next few hours, he may clip the southern most part of Haiti and miss to the north of Jamaica.

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: VIPIR? [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #38661 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:13 AM

Yeah, I went tonight and got 30 gallons for the generator. Better safe than sorry. Last year I can remember waiting in line and then only able to buy premium.

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: VIPIR? [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #38662 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:13 AM

is it me or does this thing have two eyes in a nose on the infrared? and it is going north of jamaica.

Brett
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Slowing [Re: bigpapi]
      #38663 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:15 AM

Yes, how much of a concern is the slowing trend? I know it was predicted that Dennis would slow its forward speed, but is this happening, or just a factor of growing hurricane like wobbles? Clark, thanks for the explanation. When will the first models be coming out with the data from recon?

--------------------
South Florida

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Interesting post from Storm2K [Re: Frank P]
      #38664 - Thu Jul 07 2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

I just read a post by Steve in Storm2K.... FOX 8 weather uses a model program called VIPIR, I am not that familiar with it, but I know it nailed Cindy's track 2.5 days out... Steve also mentioned it did very well last year with Ivan, and was accurate on both Arlene and Bret earlier this year.... for what is worth, and probaby not much this far out, it's latest run has Dennis impacting just west of NO... similar to a Betsy track.... as a side note, it was reported by Bob Breck, weather Guru at Fox 8, that he had friend at the NHC that said Dennis could be a Cat 4 at landfall... if this comes to fruition, and I'm not saying it will because I have no idea where Dennis is going, it would be very similar to another Georges 98 track, but only a lot stronger, and perhaps a worse case scenario for N'awlins... Steve, if your monitoring the board please feel to comment on the VIPIR, and its track on Dennis...

I know a little about it....I helped design parts of it...LOL.

The VIPIR model is a custom version of the MM5 with different physics and convectiive initation, and it outperformed pretty much everything on Charley last year, and did a pretty good job on some toher storms, but missed some as well...It is pretty good, but I wouldn't use it exclsuively...it is guidance, just like the rest of the modelling is. However, I can tell you that it doesn't call for a landfall west of NO, cause the model doesn't run out that far. It does HINT at it (if you extrapolate) but it doesn't have a landfall forecast. In addition, the previous runs have been back and forth with the tracks just as the rest of the modelling has been.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 48500

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center