F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: PolkBB]
      #38709 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:19 AM

This hurricane will be quite large in diameter...we could really use one of Skeetobites maps to overlay the current size in the GOM. I think many of us will unexpectedly feel the effects of this sucker.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Wishcasting or Fearcasting [Re: jth]
      #38710 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:21 AM

I don't think anyone is wishcasting or fearcasting. I just think we're seeing something; we might be right, we might be wrong. We're just talking about it, that's all.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #38711 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:21 AM

To me it seems clear that the dynamics to north are changing very quickly.

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

ronnie_b
Unregistered

Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: PolkBB]
      #38712 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:22 AM

Quote:

The 11PM discussion is coming soon. I wonder if the NHC will address the "apparent" NW "jog".

my bet is that they'll adjust the track to a 305 or 310 degree heading which is a change from the 295 deg heading discussed during the 5 PM update. Still think it's too early to see if this affects long-term track

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
      #38713 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:22 AM

And just for the record,I am not writing off a se fl hit.And believe me this is not a wishcast.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Wishcasting or Fearcasting [Re: Colleen A.]
      #38714 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:25 AM

I know...it just seems that some are really stretching to get this thing to turn north...There is just no evidence of that at this time. Like I said, it may have jogged north, but has now jogged back west. I agree with Tropics Guy that it aqppears an eye is starting to show it's ugly head and is moving WNW. We shall see soon. Regardless, by the time we wake in the morning, an eye will have probably formed and the speculation on movement can end.

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38715 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:26 AM

Quote:

If it stays on it's current track,it woud hit the middle keys.And there is some info that suggest it could be a little east of that.So South Fl. is far from being out of the woods.

If the current NHC track pans out, only the lower keys will see tropical force winds as it brushes by, though any deviation to the north would change the scenario.
TG

bubba
Unregistered

Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38716 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:27 AM

why not

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Dennis [Re: jth]
      #38717 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:29 AM

I think it is important to note,that Ivan and Charley went just south of Jamica.Also Earl.And we know where they ended up.So if Dennis goes just north of Jamica.................Well that is just one of many reasons I am not writing off south Florida.

--------------------

Edited by ftlaudbob (Thu Jul 07 2005 02:30 AM)

ronnie_b
Unregistered

Re: Wishcasting or Fearcasting [Re: jth]
      #38718 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:31 AM

Quote:

I know...it just seems that some are really stretching to get this thing to turn north...There is just no evidence of that at this time. Like I said, it may have jogged north, but has now jogged back west. I agree with Tropics Guy that it aqppears an eye is starting to show it's ugly head and is moving WNW. We shall see soon. Regardless, by the time we wake in the morning, an eye will have probably formed and the speculation on movement can end.

I think a slight turn to the northwest has occurred from earlier this afternoon..this may be due to the expanding convection or slight weakening in the ridge. The slight turn was picked up on by most of the models as they have the storm moving between Hispanola and Jamaica. As i said B4, its way too early to say its movin more toward the FL peninsula - to me, it's about right on track with the model guidance

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
accuweather [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38719 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:32 AM

A statement here from Accuweather regarding the models

"The North American Regional model (NAM) takes Dennis into south Florida early Saturday morning and the Canadian model shows Dennis hugging the west coast of Florida then moving northward. These two models seemed to catch the strength of the Atlantic ridge at times much better than other computer models. So, we can't discount these solutions just yet."

Much of the western Florida coast remains in the cone of uncertainty as of 5pm, so i am not ready to write it off either.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Wishcasting or Fearcasting [Re: ronnie_b]
      #38720 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:33 AM

Now that I can agree with. Very close to the 18Z GFDL and UKMET.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #38721 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:34 AM

Quote:

This hurricane will be quite large in diameter...we could really use one of Skeetobites maps to overlay the current size in the GOM. I think many of us will unexpectedly feel the effects of this sucker.

Here is the closest we can get to rendering the current "apparent" size of this entire system. We did an overlay of the latest satellite image and drew our circle to the farthest extent of the feeder bands.

Keep in mind that the official data indicates that at 5pm est the tropical storm force winds extended 105 miles from center (much less than half this total area) and that hurricane force winds extended just 25 miles from center.

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Dennis [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38722 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:35 AM

i have been saying that all day long. so anyone seen the new wave its huge?

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: accuweather [Re: Jamiewx]
      #38723 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:37 AM

Also if you look at the projected path,Jamica is right in the middle,soooooooo if he goes just to the north of Jamica they will have to shift everything east.

--------------------

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Wishcasting or Fearcasting [Re: ronnie_b]
      #38724 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:37 AM

Everyone has their opinion on where its going. Some insist it will go to where they live ( although they say , they dont want it). Its ok for them to say what they want, as long as they dont say things like " I heard a met say that Miami will be hit forsure" There are people browsing this forum who never post and just check updates. We dont want to scare anyone.
Every year we get a new person or 2 that will say its coming their way, no matter if its only a wobble on a sat view or they miss interpeted something they heard.
To know the best forecasters in here are the guys who post the blogs. There are others though who are also good interpeters of the weather.

scottsvb

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: accuweather [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #38725 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:38 AM

From weatherunderground... the 11pm has Dennis at 85 mph.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
11Pm out [Re: jth]
      #38726 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:38 AM

Still moving WNW.....winds up to 85.....still projected landfall around Mobile...Pressure down to 980.

Generally not much change to previous update.

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: Clark]
      #38727 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:38 AM

Clark - anyone - look at this link and tell me what I am seeing in the lower left hand quadrant off and south of Naples.. is that a low starting to form? I am looking at the rotation of the winds..

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/ldis/4km/ldis_currentwx_wp.html

nowhammies
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Dennis Looking Better [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #38728 - Thu Jul 07 2005 02:38 AM

Now that is an everyone gets wet storm. Feeling more like I need to make sure my hurricane supplies are all in place even here. Still a bit shell shocked from the surprizes of Charley

BTW: not panicing or anything - just waking up and realizing that time of year is here already

Edited by nowhammies (Thu Jul 07 2005 02:40 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 48500

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center