F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: knockin' cuba [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #39968 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:39 PM

I thought South Florida depended upon a crossing over Eastern Cuba. Now that it's following the forecast track and crossing Western Cuba, how does that continue to support your theory of a South Florida hit?

I'm not egging you on, I'm not flaming, I'm just honestly curious how you've developed this theory of yours.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: The eye is ashore [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #39969 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:40 PM

It is onshore...right near Trinidad, Cuba. Which is further east than predicted by the NHC track at 11am.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
South Fl [Re: tpratch]
      #39970 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:41 PM

Will come pretty dang close to if not directly to the Keys...last I looked they were still considered part of Fl...believe Key west is the "southernmost point".

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: knockin' cuba [Re: tpratch]
      #39971 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:42 PM

If you go back to my earlier thread,you will see I said eastern or central Cuba.And it is NOT western Cuba is it?

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Edited by ftlaudbob (Fri Jul 08 2005 05:43 PM)

G. J.
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
      #39972 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:42 PM

Does anyone have any maps concerning storm surge prediction charts for the FL west coast? I see we will be having pretty good high tides even without a storm

gfox

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: making landfall soon [Re: adogg76]
      #39973 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:43 PM

Maybe this is self-serving, since I'm a scientist (but not a meteorologist), but it seems to me that the meteorologists do an impressive job, considering the complexity of the systems involved and the difficulty of taking enough measurements. No, they can't predict with certainty exactly what's going to happen, but if we didn't have meteorologists and models, I don't have any doubt that there'd be much more death and destruction from these storms. We'd also have much more needless panic.

There's inherently a great deal of uncertainty in areas like meteorology. The scientists (but not necessarily the TV meteorologists) are usually pretty clear about which part of their statements they have confidence in and which part they don't. There's no question about it: the storm MAY trash my (Tampa) house this weekend, but I think it's exceptionally valuable that we have science that can tell us that, at present, that's fairly unlikely.

>almost EVERYONE with any kind of "certified" knowledge on anything....usually is the most unqualified in my book!!!

Well, to each their own, but I doubt that you take your car to get fixed by a plumber.

To make the point more seriously: meteorology is inherently probabilistic. There are times when they are more able to predict details of events and times when they are less able. What they do get remarkably well are the broad outlines (it's likely to rain in central FL tomorrow, or Dennis is likely to stay west of the peninsula), and sometimes even the details. It'd be nice if they could tell us with assurance what's going to happen, but deciding that they know nothihng because they can't know everything really isn't a sensible conclusion.

Bottom line: of course you should stay prepared and watchful, and don't be astonished if there is a surprise or two in the events. But I don't think it's reasonable to argue that meteorologists are somehow in a conspiracy to fool people in peninsular Florida into complacency!

Gordon

--------------------
Dr. Gordon A. Fox
Department. of Biology
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, FL 33620

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: South Fl [Re: twizted sizter]
      #39974 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:43 PM

our local forecasters....saying its not going to impact florida...but channel 10 ...www.tampabay10.com is the only site who still has florida in the cone....altho NHC doesnt have florida in the cone....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

FL_Grasshopper

Reged:
Loc: Tarpon Springs, Fl
Tampa / clearwater [Re: tpratch]
      #39975 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:44 PM

Hello All, been a lurker for a couple of years now and I am so impressed with the knowledge here. I have a question for the "experts". I live on the gulf coast in a large house that faces south, it is about 10' in elevation. How concerned do i need to be? I am also in charge of our "hurricane prep" for our office, (less than 2 miles from the water). Now I know I am in the cone I am just wondering what the general opinion is as to the effects I am likely to see.

Thanks so much...

godspeed to all in the way of this monster....

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #39976 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:47 PM

Encarta had a decent map of Cuba. From the sat image it appears that the eye made landfall to the west of the Sierra De Trinidad mountains, south of El Retiro, near Ganas. This looks to be about 10 mi to the east of Cienfuegos

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: South Fl [Re: FlaMommy]
      #39977 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:47 PM

Ahh well its all symantics but Key West and the Panhandle are all part of Florida. If not our state would look awful funny..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #39979 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:48 PM

I feel it's premature to call as such yet...think it does a diservice to the general public who rely on their local mets & TWC...they even said 30 minutes ago only some rain for Fl????...let's see what happens after Cuba.

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: South Fl [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #39980 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:50 PM

2pm still has it as a cat4 and weakened to 145mph, 941mb... "making landfall"

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

Edited by VandyBrad (Fri Jul 08 2005 05:53 PM)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: South Fl [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #39982 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:50 PM

Fl grasshopper... this is for my area, but it is the same statement everywhere:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/showsigwx.php?wa...Local+Statement

--------------------
cheers

Baudelaire

Reged:
      #39983 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:52 PM

Quote:

our local forecasters....saying its not going to impact florida...but channel 10 ...www.tampabay10.com is the only site who still has florida in the cone....altho NHC doesnt have florida in the cone....

There's more to FL than central or southern Florida. Last time I checked, where I live, Destin , was still considered FL.

nccathy

Reged:
Re: The eye is ashore [Re: Colleen A.]
      #39984 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:53 PM

Could you please direct me to the site you are monitoring this on. I am having trouble getting satellite images to load and none are more recent than an hour ago.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: South Fl [Re: Baudelaire]
      #39985 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:54 PM

well im sorry i should have more clear on that....i sincerely apologize.....but what im basically saying is that "besides" the panhandle....florida is not in the cone anywhere but on channel 10....imsorry and stay safe...

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

CarlSpackler

Reged:
Re: The eye is ashore [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #39986 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:57 PM

i don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for quite a while now

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #39988 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:57 PM

center is STILL off the coast. Has not come onshore as of 2pm. It could in next 30 min or stay hugging it.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
      #39989 - Fri Jul 08 2005 05:57 PM

Flamommy... keep in mind that just because it is improbable at this point that central Florida will get slammed with a direct hit by Dennis does not mean that it will receive "no impact" whatsoever.

--------------------
cheers

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: South Fl [Re: scottsvb]
      #39990 - Fri Jul 08 2005 06:00 PM

Scott,I think you are looking at older images,someone just complained about that.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 58942

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center