F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
restrengthen [Re: pcola]
      #40245 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:42 AM

Dennis will still probably be a 3 when he makes landafall. What are the water temps like in the central gulf? 83-85 I believe...plenty warm to strengthen again.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Colleen A.]
      #40247 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:42 AM

There are too may factors - troughs, highs, land - that factor into where hurricanes trek. If it were as simple as steering currents, all models would converge.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Dennis on Key West Short Range 88D [Re: Rasvar]
      #40248 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:47 AM

WFTV queued up the radar wind estimate on queue there. Still showing a good core of hurricane winds and a pretty wide area of 100 and higher winds. Still maintaining better then I would expect after this long.

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Sat Jul 09 2005 01:48 AM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: pcola]
      #40249 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:47 AM

that NOGAPS from this morning though, right?

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Dennis on Key West Short Range 88D [Re: pcola]
      #40250 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:48 AM

Dennis slowed down at the 9pm advisory...and he looks even slower now. The question is this: how long will he stay over Cuba and if the trough does pick him up, how far south will it have had time to dive and how much more of the erosion of the EC high pressure will have occured?
Remember earlier in the week they talked about it stalling and meandering...well, maybe this is what it is doing. I wouldn't say it's moving in true WNW direction..it's hardly moving at all from looking at it.
I guess it's a crapshoot...maybe it'll end up in Mexico by the time this is all over with. Sheesh!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MarcoResi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Dennis on Key West Short Range 88D [Re: Colleen A.]
      #40251 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:52 AM

My Dad thinks it will stall just of the coast of cuba and head into the west gulf as a cat 2

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #40252 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:52 AM

I understand that...the question was if a hurricane is steered by SST's or atmospheric levels. Lord help us if they were all steered by SST's!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
      #40254 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:53 AM

I'm hearing a possible Panama City landfall early Sunday am. But in the 00Z runs look like the NHC has shifted back to the left. Is anyone here getting any of this?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
      #40256 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:54 AM

Evening all, been in and out all day. Just an fyi, since 8/1745 basically initial land time N 22.0 W 80.6,,,8/2345 N 22.8 W 81.6 basically 2 degrees W for every 1 N. .8 N,,,1.6 W

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #40258 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:55 AM

If Dennis does stall... would the west coast of Florida be at an increased risk?

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #40260 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:56 AM

I wonder how useful high level recon is in this storm right now if Dr. Lyons is correct. Unfortunately, that would mean all of the storm dynamics are occuring at a level below where we can have recon. Air Force Reserve can not resume low level recon in the center until after the storm clears the Cuban coast.

--------------------
Jim

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #40261 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

The way the storm moves is all dependent on the steering flows..rigdes/troughs etc. Think of a Cat 4 in the Atlantic Ocean in September...the water temps may be extremely high, but it's the steering currents in the atmosphere that determine where it goes.

Thanks. So basically a hurricane won't steer towards warmer water, but if it happens to go over the warmer water, then that will help it intensify.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Tornado watches [Re: Colleen A.]
      #40262 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:58 AM

Tornado watches for inland central Fl till 9 a.m.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
      #40263 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:59 AM

Quote:

Dennis slowed down at the 9pm advisory...and he looks even slower now. The question is this: how long will he stay over Cuba and if the trough does pick him up, how far south will it have had time to dive and how much more of the erosion of the EC high pressure will have occured?
Remember earlier in the week they talked about it stalling and meandering...well, maybe this is what it is doing. I wouldn't say it's moving in true WNW direction..it's hardly moving at all from looking at it.
I guess it's a crapshoot...maybe it'll end up in Mexico by the time this is all over with. Sheesh!

From Clarks Blog today, he said the storm may slow down as it approaches the SE Gulf - He didn't think it was likely to stall. The significance of the slowing down is that it may be changing course to a more northward movement since it is approaching the edge of the Ridge. Hmmm...

--------------------
RJB

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Tornado watches [Re: twizted sizter]
      #40265 - Sat Jul 09 2005 01:59 AM

Are you talking about this Tornado watch, #626 would be for South Florida.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0626_radar.gif

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Rasvar]
      #40266 - Sat Jul 09 2005 02:00 AM

Quote:

I wonder how useful high level recon is in this storm right now if Dr. Lyons is correct. Unfortunately, that would mean all of the storm dynamics are occuring at a level below where we can have recon. Air Force Reserve can not resume low level recon in the center until after the storm clears the Cuban coast.

I guess it will be mid-morning tomorrow before there will be any clues where it might hit on the Gulf Coast. I am worried if it gets west of Cuba it will be on a track like Ivan or Camille, and be a threat to my brother in Pascagoula, plus will have more of an opportunity to intensify because of the warmer water.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Dennis on Key West Short Range 88D [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #40267 - Sat Jul 09 2005 02:00 AM

I know nobody even wants to think or here of this right now. Mets, anything long range say around 144 hrs north of Va putting this into the Atl?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Elaine H
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Tornado watches [Re: twizted sizter]
      #40268 - Sat Jul 09 2005 02:01 AM

Seems strange that tornado warnings would only be until 9am. After all Denis will not even be parallel to central until tomorrow afternoon at the latest

John C
Unregistered

Re: Dennis Over Cuba [Re: Margie]
      #40269 - Sat Jul 09 2005 02:01 AM

Just came in from outside looking up at the clouds here in Cocoa, very eerie !
Extremely low clouds traveling at a good clip.

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: Tornado watches [Re: Jamiewx]
      #40270 - Sat Jul 09 2005 02:02 AM

I would expect most of the state from Orlando down will be under watches all night and all day tomorrow..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40995

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center