F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Conch Republic Bashing [Re: Clark]
      #40908 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:31 PM

You are right, i am wrong - sorry to offend any of you. BUT, why is it that i do remember several of you saying that Dennis would hook into the west cost? I am being told off by a bunch of people and for what, stating my opinion? I didn't call names nor did i think i was obscene. I thought my post was professional albeit a little blunt, but not immature in any way. I may not post on here 1000 times a week like some of you, but i sure as heck fire read 99% of the posts and i know i read at least a dozen or so threads with people wish casting this storm into South Fla.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
Re: JB on Fox News at 4pm ET [Re: FelixPuntaGorda]
      #40909 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:31 PM

I thought I saw it, you know, very scientifically, holding up a piece of paper and placing it on the loop! In the last hour it "looked" like it went a little more west than north. It is probably just a wobble, only time will tell.

Kimmie

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
      #40910 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:33 PM

I've been seeing a movement to the W also. I thought that maybe I was just seeing things.

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: CFHC POSTER BASHING [Re: Colleen A.]
      #40911 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:33 PM

Very well said, Thank you for setting that straight, I have been coming here for a year now and found this site very usefull to me as I had to endure the wrath of both Frances and Jeanne last year. I have learned so much and anytime I feel uncertain I am on here reading everything I can. I respect the knowledge and opionions of everyone here and appreciate all that you do

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: JB on Fox News at 4pm ET [Re: KimmieL]
      #40912 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:36 PM

It has not made the NNW turn yet. It continues NW very close to the NHC forecast (at least at the 4 pm advisory here in Pcola. I bet it tracks west of the forecast and then makes the usual turn right as it approaches the coast...I do agree with JB that water tempersture causes this. The water near the coast is slightly cooler than the warm pools in the gulf..at least that is what the local met says.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
      #40913 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:36 PM

Only one person called for a south Florida hit. People were saying that, given the ever-changing circumstances, Dennis *could* trek along the west coast. No one was dogmatic (as I think you are being). Irregardless to that, south Florida is currently being affected in a very minor fashion, which is what most people were forecasting to begin with. Sorry that you feel like everyone is ganging up on you.

--------------------
cheers

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Conch Republic Bashing [Re: stormchazer]
      #40914 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:36 PM

I do look to the NHC and then compare it here and i have to say that the NHC, in most discussions i have read, didn't talk about little jogs here, and little jogs there, OH MY GOD does that mean it's turning right?! See, somewhat a little dramatic, know what i mean?! Most of what i read here is right on, but i felt, i don't know, alittle ganged up on by people wishing this thing to hit the west coast of fla. I look to the serious people on this site and i read their posts - they are the ones who don't talk about every single jog left and right and then start a whole string of "it's going right, it's going right!"

--------------------

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
      #40915 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:37 PM

Kimmie, I also held up a piece of paper. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
      #40916 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:39 PM

Prelim 5pm numbers-----

winds at 105mph

25.7N 84.6 W

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Conch Republic Bashing [Re: damejune2]
      #40918 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:41 PM

Dame, I understand what you are saying. But you must remember. The west coast of FL is where these people live and it is their priority. Some do go overboard and you can't blame them. Especially is they went thru a storm.. I try to listen to the 90% who are talking intelligently and trying to actually learn. Therre were a couple of people that really irritated me too, but overall this is a great site. Best I have found and I am glad I found it.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
      #40919 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:41 PM

you could skip over the ones you don't want to read as I sometimes do, I get behind on the post and read the ones I'm interested in

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
5pm [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #40920 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:42 PM

90kts pressure 955mb

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: JB on Fox News at 4pm ET [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #40921 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

Prelim 5pm numbers-----

winds at 105mph

25.7N 84.6 W

Yup....955 MB

NW 14

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: JB on Fox News at 4pm ET [Re: Lysis]
      #40922 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:43 PM

Sorry for the trouble - lets get back to the storm.

My area, Bradenton, Fla, has receieved a few inches of rain and some gusty winds, perhaps as high as 35-40 in my neighborhood. It's been surprisingly quiet around here most of the afternoon which leads me to believe that Dennis is tracking further west than expected.

--------------------

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Conch Republic Bashing [Re: pcola]
      #40923 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:47 PM

Thank you and thats basically what i am saying - there were a few people on here who were really over dramatizing this whole thing and i got sick of it and lashed out - sorry. I went through all the hurricanes last year except Ivan, BUT, i still had to sit and watch to see if Ivan would turn towards the Fla peninsula or not. My family and I are a little anxious about these things now and we get freaked when 10 people say its going this way and then 4 smart alecs say it's coming here....anyway.......

--------------------

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: 5pm [Re: hurricane_run]
      #40924 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:47 PM

They also dropped the Tropical Storm Warning for the Florida East coast and the Upper Keys, and downgraded the Hurricane Warning in the Lower Keys to Tropical Storm Warning.

Bill

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
      #40925 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:47 PM

Most folks know that these things wobble along a more general path and take that in stride. Just got "burned" with Charley last year and it's sudden turn inland. We're just a bit jumpy these days after last season. We don't "wish" these storms on anyone let alone ourselves.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
      #40926 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:48 PM

Felix,
The more he wobbles to the left, hopefully, the less likely he is to take a direct swat at Pensacola/Mobile. I certainly don't wish this storm on anyone, but, at the same time, all of you guys in Florida from the Keys to the Panhandle have had so much to deal with in the last year! Maybe he will just go away!

Kimmie

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
      #40927 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:50 PM

Lets drop it okay? This is supposed to be informative and yes fun. I was many that a few days ago questioned where it might go, perhaps closer to the west coast. After all, we had this very good Canadian GEM model which predicted just that. In addition, nobody knew what the effect of going over the land mass of Cuba might do to the path of the storm. People tend to get a little nervous when a storm is blowing at 150 mph. Trying to read the tea leaves about where it might go is what makes this site interesting. Let's all chill out.

--------------------
RJB

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: looking organized [Re: superfly]
      #40928 - Sat Jul 09 2005 08:51 PM

Yes in just the last three satellite photos...looks like the central core is getting very well-defined.

Well I am going to take a much-needed break and go outside and get some sun. I'll come back this evening and hope to see some good news for my brother in Pascagoula.

We talked awhile ago and he agreed that flooding is the main threat from tropical storms in Jackson Co...he said that some parts of the county were 12-14 ft underwater after George hit (I think the eye from George hit Biloxi or thereabouts). This was mostly not right on the coast, but up on into the back part of the county where it is mostly estuary and rivers. Even though he lives less than a half mile from the beach he is more than 15 feet above sea level, but much of the county is at sea level.

He agreed that even with a hit as close as MOB they won't see too much, and if the storm lands east of MOB and hits in FL they won't see much wind or rain at all. So it is kind of an either or situation for them. I just hope that he won't be having to do too many rescues in bad weather, if they do happen to get hit. They usually have to go out until the weather gets pretty much impossible to do so. That is what makes me worry -- when a hurricane hits he is never hunkering down in a house, safely waiting it out, but is instead pretty much right on the front line.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 43030

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center