F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
superfly
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans
Re: NW Movement [Re: EMS]
      #41053 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:07 PM

Got bored so decided to hit the coordinates up on GoogleEarth. Image here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Special NHC Advisory... [Re: superfly]
      #41055 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:13 PM

New Special NHC Advisory calling for a Cat 4 at landfall...

I just did a live interview with Max Mayfield...they are VERY concerned with the rapid deepining that is ongoing...his words, "If you live with 50 miles of the coast from Panama City west, get out".

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Edited by wxman007 (Sat Jul 09 2005 11:15 PM)

drcrazibob
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Daytona Beach, Fl
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: wxman007]
      #41056 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:14 PM

Aside from the Technical aspects of Hurricane Dennis, I want to wish everyone up in the panhandle and those of you that have friends and family wherever Dennis lands, all the best and to be as safe as possible. I know we're all doing our best to see where this hurricane is going and how big it's getting, but regardless of that, my prayers are with ya'all. I spent 2 hurricanes in Deltona, Fl last year with my sister and brother-in-law and she was 30 weeks pregnant! What a crazy scary time. So Godspeed to everyone, and be safe!

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: NW Movement [Re: superfly]
      #41057 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:14 PM

does anyone have the website that was posted, i think last night, with the pics of topography, they were really nice, and i cant find the link grrrr

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: NW Movement [Re: NewWatcher]
      #41058 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:17 PM

.2N and .0W in the last hour.........maybe this is FINALLY the turn.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Re: NW Movement [Re: NewWatcher]
      #41059 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:22 PM

Been away from the computer this afternoon...and look what happens. With each new image that comes onto the visible floater loop, you can see the eye contracting. A sign of intensification. Another sign of a rapidly deepen storm: the stadium look that the eyewall has been taking on over the past couple of hours or so.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: NW Movement [Re: Kevin]
      #41060 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:27 PM

Classic Discussion pair with the 5PM and special 7PM. I think he NHC was taken off guard by this... I know I am.

HURRICANE Dennis DISCUSSION NUMBER 21
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 PM EDT SAT JUL 09 2005

WHAT A DIFFERENCE 6 HOURS MAKES! SATELLITE...RADAR...AND NOAA AND
AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE DATA INDICATE Dennis HAS POSSIBLY STARTED
A RAPID DEEPENING PHASE. THE EYE HAS BECOME BECOME DEFINED IN BOTH
RADAR AND SATELLITE IMAGERY..

Then at 7PM..
HURRICANE Dennis SPECIAL DISCUSSION NUMBER 22
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
7 PM EDT SAT JUL 09 2005

WHAT A DIFFERENCE 2 HOURS MAKES! AIR FORCE AND NOAA HURRICANE
HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THE CENTRAL PRESSURE OF Dennis DROPPED 11
MB IN AN HOUR AND A HALF.

Steve777

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud FL
      #41061 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:30 PM

Hello fellow hurricane hunters. I believe this is only the 3rd post ever. I live in St Cloud Fl. I work for Orlando utilities and have been tuned into this site for 8 years now. Lots of times I've used it to just enjoy learning and i do enjoy reading the posts and laughing at the tempermental posts and I've even felt like defending the idiots sometimes cause we all shouldn't take everything so personal and serious.well, last year we got hit with Charley and francis and jeanne and i lost shingles, then bedroom ceiling and garage ceiling and porch ceiling and all pool room screens and pool frame damage ect..seems like a nightmare year and i'm really glad storm is west of us cause i've just recieved 1 and half inches of rain in less than hour here and strong gusts. Just wanted to say hi to whoever and thanks for this site always enjoyed it. Stay Kewl.

LanceW-Home

Reged:
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: Steve777]
      #41062 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:31 PM

Have not posted this year myself. I am in Poinciana, kinda gusty, lotsa rain. Had lots of damage last year, hopeing for NONE this...

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #41063 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:32 PM

This is not good. That's about all I can say. Dennis has blown past expectations, climatology, and everything else yet another time. It's well on its way towards being a category 4 storm.

The only saving grace is a pool of colder waters just south of Pensacola. If the storm is moving slow enough, it could have an impact on the storm's intensity just before landfall. A recent wobble north may be the signal of the long-awaited turn moreso towards the north. The system is due south of St. George Island, Florida right now; a north-northwest movement to landfall pretty much takes it to the area Max Mayfield highlighted in his interview with JK.

Stay tuned...this thing's on a tear right now.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: Clark]
      #41064 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:40 PM

So Clark... this may be the most intense July hurricane in recorded history *twice* Absolutely incredible.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sat Jul 09 2005 11:41 PM)

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Laredo, Texas
      #41065 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:40 PM

Quote:

The only saving grace is a pool of colder waters just south of Pensacola. If the storm is moving slow enough, it could have an impact on the storm's intensity just before landfall.

Any opinion on how slow he'd have to be going to be weakend by the cooler SST's (a' la Lili)?

Allison

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: Allison]
      #41066 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:44 PM

Allison -- no idea. If it's moving 15-20mph, it'll see little impact (I believe). If it's moving 5-10mph, it'll see a greater impact. Can't pin down a number, though.

--------------------

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #41067 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:46 PM

any guesses on the wind speed at the 8 advisory?

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: Allison]
      #41068 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:48 PM

he actually running almost due north now. When you observe the eye, be sure to take into account the sun angle and the dense overcast that intermittently covers the east side of the eye. I'd say he's nearing 350 - 355 degrees. On the other question, I don't think he's going to slow down much. The cooler water you're talking about still is above 27c.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: bn765]
      #41069 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:48 PM

There won't be another advisory until 9p ET/8p CT, but assuming current trends have continued, it should be increased by 5-15mph.

--------------------

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
      #41070 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:51 PM

I was wondering about the warmer tops (blue) that seam to be spinning in to the storm from the southeast side. Could this help slow this rapid intensification or is this just an indication of a tightening core?

--------------------
Jara

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #41071 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:51 PM

Clark, I hate to even mention it, but could we be looking at a possible Camille scenario? Fast moving, fast developing storm, in the central gulf? Or am I just being overly concerned.

Also, I appreciate the time and expertise you devote to this site. I know your are extraordinarily busy right now.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: stormchazer]
      #41072 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:54 PM

stormchazer -- probably just a sign of the differentiation between the well-defined core of the storm and an outer convective band and not a sign of dry air entrainment. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that there is dry air becoming entrained into the storm.

Big Red Machine -- probably not, as there is still likely an eyewall replacement cycle ahead (and shallower, cooler waters) to slow/halt intensification, but we don't know how strong it is going to get before then. Camille was a once-in-a-lifetime scenario and is the furthest north category 5 hurricane in Atlantic basin recorded history; I think Dennis is not likely to approach those levels. This may be a similar scenario to Opal in 1995, but I'm not willing to call for such drastic weakening right before landfall.

--------------------

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Special NHC Advisory... [Re: Steve H1]
      #41073 - Sat Jul 09 2005 11:58 PM

long range radar loop out of tampa indicates that Dennis looks to be on a pretty good NNW track... wobbling between NW and N... my opinion only...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61789

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center