F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 244 (Idalia) , Major: 244 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 244 (Idalia) Major: 244 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: hey ya'll [Re: Margie]
      #41608 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:08 PM

That buoy has been out for awhile. I tried to look at it a while back.
The waves are really picking up around the eye this morning.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nate
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: vortex msg [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41609 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:14 PM

Also seems like the Eyewall and Storm surge arent as big or as destructive as Ivan.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Nate]
      #41610 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:18 PM

Nate -- he's right on the rain bands -- they are not nearly as tornadic as seen with last years storms, meaning most areas may have dodged the bullet with that one. The orientation of the rain bands more east-west than north-south may be helping with this, but that's just a hunch. The tropical storm force winds are every bit as much as advertised, however. Remember that the hurricane force winds are still offshore -- this is not one of last year's monster-sized storms -- and believe me, their full force will be felt soon enough.

Tallahassee -- almost 200 miles from the storm and well inland -- has seen gusts over tropical storm force thus far today, with sustained winds continually over 30mph. Storm-total rainfall is nearing 5" in many spots, with 7"+ a good bet once all is said and done. US 98 between Panacea and Apalachicola -- something like 30 miles -- is closed, with water over the roadway in many areas. Observing stations in both Pensacola and Apalachicola are down, with the Tallahassee and Panama City systems struggling to keep up sometimes. And -- most of this is well-removed from the storm!

Bottom line: the worst is still yet to come.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Keith234]
      #41611 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:20 PM

Yes, thanks for reminding me. That's why severe thunderstorms the-" windy" kind don't have tornados. Isn't there a term used to describe area's of strong wind that translate down to the surface in hurricanes-the word vector comes to mind but that doesn't seem to make sense? They were attributed with massive damage in isolated area's associated with Andrew. Does anyone know?.

You are thinking of either downdrafts or microbursts, I believe. They are most common with continental thunderstorms, but can be seen with hurricanes as they make landfall and begin to weaken. --Clark

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Clark (Sun Jul 10 2005 04:23 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: vortex msg [Re: Nate]
      #41612 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:22 PM

Nate, again -- the storm is still offshore, including the hurricane-force winds, and is a smaller storm than Ivan. Storm surge will not be a major factor for a little time yet -- and is already affecting other areas, as mentioned in the last post. The eyewall doens't have to be huge for things to be bad -- it just may narrow the scope of the damage (and concentrate it, too) to a smaller area.

--------------------

GEORGIA GIRL

Reged:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Clark]
      #41613 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:25 PM

I MUST ASK THIS QUESTION. MY HUSBAND IS SUPPOSED TO HEAD FOR ATLANTA LATE THIS AFTERNOON. I HEARD ONE OF THE NEWS STATIONS MENTION THAT ATLANTA MAY RECEIVE SOME PRETTY ROUGH WEATHER. IF THAT IS THE CASE, I WOULD MUCH RATHER HIM REARRANGE HIS SCHEDULE AND STAY IN SE GA, ESPECIALLY IF HE WILL BE DRIVING THROUGH THE WORST OF IT. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME? I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: vortex msg [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41614 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:30 PM

im suprised that Max wind of 93knots, and at 260, didnt they sample the e and N side?

Nate
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: GEORGIA GIRL]
      #41615 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:31 PM

Atlanta will be on the NE corner, but Like they stated Rainbands havent been as heavy as expected. That doesnt mean things wont pick up later this afternoon when the Body of Dennis crosses the coast. I would recommend being put til Morning. I honestly think your going to see this storm lose steam drastically when it crosses land. Cuba took alot out of it, Them saying it will stay a Hurrican til Mid day Monday, I disagree with. I wouldnt recommend driving anywahere in that area today if it isnt a dieing emergency.

GEORGIA GIRL

Reged:
      #41617 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:35 PM

THANKS NATE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTION. WITH EVERYTHING THAT'S GOING ON IN THE GULF, MY QUESTION IS MINOR IN COMPARISON. THANKS!! I PRAY FOR SAFETY FOR EVERYONE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM!

HumanCookie
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Bullseye on Pensacola [Re: garrison]
      #41618 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:36 PM

Looking at the projected track Dennis will landfall on Pensacola.

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #41619 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:37 PM

Looking at the most recent WV imagery, I'd say the storm is going to bring the eyewall onshore just, just to the west of Pensacola, about along the state line or so. Check out the imagery from the following link, you can zoom in as well. (Just click the zoom button and then click in the window at the desired zoom location).

WV Imagery from UHMET

You can clearly see where the storm was going almost due north, and then see how it's hooked now back to the NW/NNW direction. Not good for Pensacola one bit...my prayers again go out to them, this is going to be a very bad day.

--------------------
Londovir

CDMOrlando
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: seminole cnty florida
      #41621 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

I MUST ASK THIS QUESTION. MY HUSBAND IS SUPPOSED TO HEAD FOR ATLANTA LATE THIS AFTERNOON. I HEARD ONE OF THE NEWS STATIONS MENTION THAT ATLANTA MAY RECEIVE SOME PRETTY ROUGH WEATHER. IF THAT IS THE CASE, I WOULD MUCH RATHER HIM REARRANGE HIS SCHEDULE AND STAY IN SE GA, ESPECIALLY IF HE WILL BE DRIVING THROUGH THE WORST OF IT. ANY ONE HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME? I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Here is a link to the JAX florida RADAR
[url=http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/jax_NCR_lp.html]web page[/url
This link will show major roads and the rain.
Charleston S.C. along with the Atlanta area sites were down when i checked.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Londovir]
      #41622 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:42 PM

I'd be interested in anyone's comments on Dennis vs. Camille. Dennis has apparently lost some punch as it has gone over cooler waters. Why didn't that happen with Camille...later in the season=warmer waters, was its path over the Gulf over deeper water, etc?

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: vortex msg [Re: garrison]
      #41623 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:43 PM

GEORGIA GIRL -- yes, Atlanta may receive some rough weather: mainly rain, lots of squalls. Airport operations there will likely be touch and go all day with many flights likely to be canceled.

garrison -- I believe they sampled the west side of the storm, coming from Keesler AFB in Mississippi. They'll move to the NE side next.

--------------------

CDMOrlando
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: seminole cnty florida
Re: vortex msg [Re: Clark]
      #41624 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:45 PM

garrison -- I believe they sampled the west side of the storm, coming from Keesler AFB in Mississippi. They'll move to the NE side next.

I local TV station had an interview with a Hurricane hunter pilot and they indicated that they had moved to texas to run current operation...but still they would be coming from the southwest through the storm.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Ed in Va]
      #41625 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:46 PM

Ed in Va-- a combination of all of the above, plus probably some atmospheric factors that came into play as well. Hard to say, though, without a lot of old data for Camille....about all that can be said now is that Dennis is no Camille, which is a good thing.

Latest recon in: 127kt at flight level in the NE quadrant, 939mb SFC. pressure. Storm is a bit weaker, but still very intense.

--------------------

Pensacola101

Reged:
Re: vortex msg [Re: Clark]
      #41626 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:47 PM

Winds are picking up here in Pensacola (around 60-70mph gusts). Power is still on at my house, but who knows for how much longer. The compactness of this storm is just going to bring the winds all of a sudden I think.

Everyone stay safe.

BobVee
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #41627 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:50 PM

Just talked to one of my cousins who drives a big rig. He is between Montgomery and Atlanta(closer to Atlanta) going toward Atlanta and states that there is but a light breeze with intermittent rain showers. I would expect that driving conditions from SE Georgia would be ok if your husband exercises common sense and drives with caution as one would during any thunderstorm or inclement weather. Just listern to local weather reports and be careful.

kissy
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Pascagoula, MS
Re: vortex msg [Re: Pensacola101]
      #41628 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:53 PM

I'm in Pascagoula. It's pretty windy (of course this is only my second hurricane so it seems like alot to me!) rainy. The roads are starting to flood. I can definetly see a decreasae in the weather within the last hour or so. Good luck to everyone!

--------------------

Nothing like fishing in the middle of a hurricane! Katrina '06!

Jane219ga

Reged:
Loc: Valrico, FL
Re: vortex msg [Re: Pensacola101]
      #41629 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:53 PM

Just for the sake of curiosity - are you a fan of UGA?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94856

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center