F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
msmith43
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: South Tampa
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: cjzydeco]
      #41720 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:30 PM

I think he mentioned he lives near Tiger Point -- just east of Gulf Breeze.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #41721 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:31 PM

Judging only from the tv video, this storm does not look as bad as Ivan.
Anyone else get that impression.
Hope I'm right

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #41722 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:32 PM

The close up radar on the TV showed the tiny tiny area of the eye that was still open (which looked to be only maybe a half-dozen city blocks wide) just go over east of Oriole Beach in the area where the strip of land is narrowest. I think this is right where Pcola lives...heck he's probably looking out the window not staring at a computer screen!

I hope he isn't looking out the window. Very, very dangerous to do!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by danielw (Sun Jul 10 2005 07:44 PM)

Nate
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #41723 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Judging only from the tv video, this storm does not look as bad as Ivan.
Anyone else get that impression.
Hope I'm right

iT JUST HIT LANDFALL, SO LETS WAIT AND SEE..

ALSO. ANY HURRICANE IS BAD, ESPICALLY FOR THAT AREA, THAT IS STILL RECOVERING.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: eyewall [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41724 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:34 PM

Quote:

looks like the se side of the eyewall opened, but the nw side convection deepened.. that's currently moving onto pensacola right now. see jeff morrow gettin' knocked all over the place.
HF 2022z10july

ya Dr Lyons is probably right about the more intense NE winds lifting off of sea level. Destin doesn't look bad at all.

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Nate]
      #41725 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:35 PM

I watched Ivan from tv and it didn't look bad until the next afternoon, LONG way to go for many poor folks.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #41726 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:35 PM

in terms of extent, you're probably right. this storm had a small, tight inner core that was weakening as it made landfall. the extensive damage path will be more limited for that reason. of course, footage ended from around gulf breeze/pensacola as the storm came ashore.. and i haven't seen anything from navarre. milton is getting rocked right now.. atmore and brewton alabama will get it around 4-5pm central.
HF 2035z10july

nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Nate]
      #41727 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:37 PM

They are saying on TWC that there is a lot of lightning around the eye.. that's unusual, isn't it? I have been through 2 eyes (Supertyphoon Pamela on Guam in 1976 and Charley last year) and I know there was no lightning.

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Margie]
      #41728 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:37 PM

I concur....MSNBC showed a real close zoomed in radar signature view and it was VERY clear where the eye has crossed onto land. The eye went right over Tiger Point Golf & Country Club at roughly the intersection of US 98 & Route 281 (Gulf Breeze Parkway & Garcon Pt. Brg.). I shudder to think of what will be left of that country club.

That's almost exactly in the area where PCola was posting from, I believe. Odds are very good that he's without power; the reporters from the area on MSNBC were saying that most of that area is without power right now, so I wouldn't be surprised.

--------------------
Londovir

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41729 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:37 PM

anyone have any good wind speed data?

toemastergeneral

Reged:
Loc: Gulf Breeze, FL
      #41730 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:38 PM

When you come across the Pensacola Bay Bridge (Three Mile Bridge) you come into Gulf Bereze Proper. That's where I live. Garcon Point / Tiger Point is about 10 miles east of GB Proper. Navarre is about 12 miles east of Garcon Point. Hurricane Ivan wreaked havoc on Tiger Point. Especially soundfront homes. Jim Cantore is at GB Hospital which is on the fringe of GB Proper. GB Proper is less than 3 miles in length along hwy 98.

--------------------
No biz like toe biz!

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
      #41731 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:38 PM

Hopefully he's got the windows boarded up and isn't watching his roof peel off. If he had 98 mph winds, he definitely lost power.

--------------------
RJB

toemastergeneral

Reged:
Loc: Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Londovir]
      #41734 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

I concur....MSNBC showed a real close zoomed in radar signature view and it was VERY clear where the eye has crossed onto land. The eye went right over Tiger Point Golf & Country Club at roughly the intersection of US 98 & Route 281 (Gulf Breeze Parkway & Garcon Pt. Brg.). I shudder to think of what will be left of that country club.

The golf course was still under repair from Ivan.

--------------------
No biz like toe biz!

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41735 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:42 PM

FYI, here in Atlanta, the first main rain band from Dennis is starting to pull into the area. In the past 30 minutes here in South Atlanta, the weather radio has been going crazy with T-Storm Warnings as well as Tornado warnings.....

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Londovir]
      #41736 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:43 PM

Yes it went right over the bridge. You could see it even on the 19:29Z frame of the Tallahassee short range radar if you looked very closely. That was the left side of the eyewall. I think even though it was clouded over the right side of the eyewall was between Woodlawn Beach and Navarre. Seems odd only about 8 mi wide?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Sun Jul 10 2005 07:45 PM)

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: nandav]
      #41737 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:44 PM

Quote:

They are saying on TWC that there is a lot of lightning around the eye.. that's unusual, isn't it? I have been through 2 eyes (Supertyphoon Pamela on Guam in 1976 and Charley last year) and I know there was no lightning.

Pamela was bad...my family and I were on Okinawa when Guam was hit before coming our way...at least being off the islands we can get away from these storms when we need too.

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

Edited by firestar_1 (Sun Jul 10 2005 07:54 PM)

yecatsjg
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: firestar_1]
      #41738 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:48 PM

They are showing sustained winds in the 40s around the eyewall on TWC. How is that posssible?

Stacey

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
      #41739 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:49 PM

I was wondering about the atypical lightning as well... I have not seen any such thing in my hurricane experiences.

--------------------
cheers

Nate
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: yecatsjg]
      #41740 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:51 PM

Quote:

They are showing sustained winds in the 40s around the eyewall on TWC. How is that posssible?

Stacey

Anderson Cooper of CNN just had some unreal live video where they had to take cover in Pensacola.. Trees and Roofs shredded.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #41741 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:51 PM

Did anyone see Anderson Cooper on CNN a few moments ago? What a gust! The guys around him are lucky to be okay.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94745

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center