F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 241 (Idalia) , Major: 241 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 241 (Idalia) Major: 241 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Frank P]
      #42725 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:21 PM

the 11 am forcast track has Grenada in the bulleye... that poor country lost 90% of its homes to Ivan....

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
Re: analog for emily? [Re: trinibaje]
      #42727 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:55 PM

can someone please send me the link too joe bastardi's forecast for today. thank you!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Terra]
      #42728 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If Emily is about to hit land, then landfall is imminent.

That's why I majored in chemistry... Seriously though, thanks for the comment. I absoutely cannot stand homonym errors and was unaware imminent was a homonym (or misspelled).

It was just kind of fresh in my mind because there was a post this weekend during Dennis where someone had mentioned a weather newsperson who kept saying it on TV.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #42730 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:23 PM

11am Discussion:

FOR A STORM MOVING WESTWARD AT ALMOST 20 KT...THERE IS A SURPRISING AMOUNT OF WIND SOUTH OF THE CENTER...WITH THE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT REPORTING UP TO 56 KT AT 850 MB IN THE ACTIVE CONVECTION IN THE SOUTHEAST QUADRANT. PEAK FLIGHT LEVEL WINDS WERE 57 KT IN THE NORTHEAST QUADRANT. THESE OBSERVATIONS SUPPORT AT LEAST 45 KT
AT THE SURFACE...AND THE FLIGHT CREW HAS VISUALLY ESTIMATED WINDS OF 55 KT. GIVEN THIS...THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY INTENSITY OF 50 KT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD COMPROMISE. INCIDENTALLY...THE FLIGHT-LEVEL DATA
CONFIRM THE RAIN-FLAGGED BUT ESSENTIALLY CORRECT QUIKSCAT OBSERVATIONS IMMEDIATELY SOUTHEAST OF THE CENTER IN THE 09Z PASS. EMILY CONTINUES ON A STUBBORN WESTWARD TRACK...270/17. THE WEST-NORTHWESTWARD MOTION FORECAST ALMOST UNANIMOUSLY BY THE TRACK MODELS HAS NOT DEVELOPED YET. CLEARLY THERE HAS BEEN MORE RIDGING NORTH OF THE CYCLONE THAN EXPECTED. THE MODEL GUIDANCE ENVELOPE IS BOUNDED BY THE GFDL AND UKMET ON THE NORTH...AND NOGAPS ON THE
SOUTH. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS ADJUSTED A LITTLE TO THE LEFT OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY AND IS ON THE NOGAPS SIDE OF THE DYNAMICAL MODEL CONSENSUS.
THE NORTHERN SEMICIRCLE OF EMILY IS RELATIVELY CLOUD FREE NEAR THE CORE...AND I PRESUME THAT THE DRY STABLE ENVIRONMENT IS HINDERING DEVELOPMENT AT THIS TIME. HOWEVER...UPPER WINDS ARE STILL
FAVORABLE FOR STRENGTHENING. WHILE I HAVE NOT BACKED OFF ON THE INTENSITY FORECAST...IF EMILY DOES NOT GAIN SOME LATITUDE IN THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN IT COULD LOSE A SOURCE OF LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE AND END UP CONSIDERABLY WEAKER THAN FORECAST.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Frank P]
      #42731 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:26 PM

I think that the weather is very "iffy" for the launch today. It's already rained at KSC and afternoon thunder showers are a rountine around there.
THere are so many contingincies pertaining to weather. MIght get lucky and hit a clear spot however.

It would be nice to be back in space again.

CarlSpackler

Reged:
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #42732 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:28 PM

just for clarifiction, it was NOT a cockpit window that fell, it was a cover that goes over the windows until shortly before lift off. it souds even worse to think they could have the window fall out of the shuttle.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: analog for emily? [Re: nl]
      #42733 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:28 PM

I think JB's link is on the main page otherwise it is available through Yahoo.com./weather.

Emily, or what is posing as Emily, seems to be heading due west right now, and the wnw steering currents are about 12 hours ahead of it. NHC stated in the 11am discussion it could lose much of its moisture flow from the south and it already has dry air in from the north.

This area is the classic graveyard area for systems, and Emily may not survive. That is a distinct possibility. If it does, and that may happen too as the LLC will remain off shore as it skirts the coast,then it will track wnw from there to the Yucatan in whatever shape it is in...Still spec. exists that Emily will grow up into a big girl, but I'm not convinced.

--------------------
doug

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Blob off the NC coast... [Re: MikeC]
      #42734 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:30 PM

It looks like simply some Divergent flow causing storms, but anyone else peeked at it to see if something more might be there?

What's left of Dennis continues to look impressive, and drifting ever so slowly south.

oh did the wanna-be potential depression number 6 die out?

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Launch doubtful [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #42735 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:38 PM

Here is a great link to view current conditions just a few miles from the Space Center:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/h2ocean/rg-weather.html

If you scroll to the bottom, you will see local Radar and Sat feeds.
Currently there is a huge rain cloud overhead, I putting today's launch @ 25% go.

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Model mania [Re: doug]
      #42736 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:45 PM

12Z UKMET and CMC both move Emily back up into Cuba... for all in NewOrleans the UKMET says Emily will see you in 6 days...data fields on the CMC stopped at 72 hours

--------------------
doug

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #42737 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:55 PM

pou ring rain here guys!

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: nl]
      #42738 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:57 PM

rain alot of rain here in nsb and moving south towards the cape

BullitNutz
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: nl]
      #42740 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:07 PM

Nice and clear here in East Orlando.

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
      #42741 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:08 PM

Right, FSU in run mode now shows a jump N from current 11.2 to about 14N in 24 hours. I suppose a ridge breakdown in a similar location to what occurred w/ Dennis is possible? The pattern seems to be close. I am guessing that Emily might get drawn north somewhat. The path and intensity is not the same, I realize. I just think the models underestimate the mid-latitude troughs. Therefore, me not knowing anything, I think Emily will curve northward more than some of the southerly models show. Thoughts?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #42742 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:09 PM

Found the 12Z UKMET very fascinating. However, it is the same model that stubbornly insisted Dennis would hit 'Nawlins too. Should be interesting over the next 12 hours or so to see if any other models join the UK and CMC.

If any met would like to speculate why these two models shifted north, I would be very interested. The CMC has consistently been north, but the 12Z shift for the UK was more drastic.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Margie]
      #42743 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

It was just kind of fresh in my mind because there was a post this weekend during Dennis where someone had mentioned a weather newsperson who kept saying it on TV.

Yeah - that was me who pointed it out. I'm a former English education major, so grammatical errors jab under my skin

At any rate, just thought I'd answer that. Back to work for me, and Mike, I'm aiming to have you the goods soon.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #42744 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:25 PM

Yeah well the scary part is that they eventually get one right... guess we'll have to start looking for others to trend more north.. nothing surprises me any more with these TCs...

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Model mania [Re: Frank P]
      #42745 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:45 PM

If this trend continues, you can blame me for it, Frank. Past day or so I've been feeling confident that the eastern gulf, basically your area (Biloxi) the Florida peninsula would avoid this one. I thought to myself last night, "Oh good, at least the folks in the Panhandle won't have to worry about this storm."

oops... Tropical systems do this just to spite me. As soon as I am "sure" they switch it up.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #42746 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:49 PM

Today's Shuttle launch has been scrubbed at about 1:35pm due to a faulty fuel sensor in the main fuel tank......

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Model mania [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #42747 - Wed Jul 13 2005 05:51 PM

the way this hurricane season is going I think they'll be enough blame for everybody to participate in.... the thing I've learned over the years, and especially after Elena 85... take nothing for granted....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40244

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center