F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Shuttle Launch Scrubbed
      #42815 - Wed Jul 13 2005 11:26 PM

Well, I was out there on the beeline this afternoon in heavy traffic, probably with no hope of reaching Jetty Park for the launch, when I heard it was cancelled. Is there anyone on the board that has been to Jetty Park that can adivse the best way to get there from Lake County. I used the 429 to the Turnpike and then onto the beeline. Also how long ahead of time would you advise getting to Jetty Park?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: Jamiewx]
      #42833 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:26 AM

Along the same lines.. any idea when it's going to rescheduled? I wish it could have taken off today... I'm really nervous about this launch. I have a feeling that if anything bad happens (and I mean anything, not just something serious), that might be the end of the space program. And, I would absolutely hate to see that happen. There is too much to gain from space exploration.... if only the general public understood how dangerous it really is. Sure, it's terrible when bad things happen, but no matter what.. the program needs to continue!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: Terra]
      #42874 - Thu Jul 14 2005 02:06 AM

The re-try for launch is up for debate it seems, i have heard Saturday at 1:52pm EDT. However, that is very tentative and if it is determined that the fuel sensor problem is worse than initially thought, the shuttle will have to go back to the VAB and it could be delayed until september. So we shall see in the coming days i guess.

BullitNutz
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #42962 - Thu Jul 14 2005 11:09 AM

Well, let's hope the fuel sensor isn't worse than originally thought. Though I hope more for the engineers and the management to finally see eye-to-eye. If the fuel sensor's bad enough, by all means send it back to the VAB and work on it until it's fixed. Forget about deadlines and concentrate on getting the shuttle up and back without any catastrophes.

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: BullitNutz]
      #42984 - Thu Jul 14 2005 01:34 PM

I totally agree with you. The heck with dead lines and scheduals. If a sensors information is faulty, then cancel the launch. Whats more important, the shuttle itself or the lives onboard...... I personally believe we should develope a program where we use robotics to replace humans in space. They don`t eat, they don`t breath, they don`t create waste, and they don`t sleep. They may break down once and awhile , but so do we.Just have back up systems to take over until the primary system is back up and running. Look at our probes that we send to the planets and comets, seems to me they have a pretty good track record and if you lose one during a mishap all you lose is information and money. Not lives.....I`m just rammling off topic, back to weather.......Weatherchef

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #43008 - Thu Jul 14 2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

I`m just rammling off topic, back to weather.......Weatherchef

You'll be fine weatherchef, this forum is for off topic material.

Also i agree with you guys 100% on the deadlines, It doesn't worry me, I live in Florida. But do any of you guys have any information in reference to my earlier post on Jetty Park?

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #43027 - Thu Jul 14 2005 03:36 PM

Jetty Park...mmmmmm...You must be talking about the park up in northern Brevard County or the the park at Jupiter Inlet...All I know is when theres a shuttle launch , especiailly during the day, it get very crowded on US 1 near Titusville and on A1A near Cocoa, Merrit Island Area. I myself just walk down to the beach seeing as I just live 20 miles or so south of the launch complex and watch from there. On a good clear day , you can see the Cape and its a ring side seat for all the rocket launches. I`ve been 3 miles away on base and watched one go up and man what an awsome expeirence. Your consumed by the spectacle. The sound is unbelieveable. It seems like the very air around you is vibrating and it probably is. If I where you ,find a nice beach , park your butt in a folding chair with a cooler of your favorite beverage and a radio for launch coverage and sit and enjoy the show . No traffic or big crowds ,plus you can take a swim and get a tan......May this Saturday at the earliest will be the next try.........Weatherchef

sooby

Reged:
Loc: Yorkshire England
      #43376 - Sat Jul 16 2005 10:08 AM

We heard on the news over here in the U.K. that if the shuttle doesnt go in the next few days it could never go, I dont know if that is really the case but if it is that would be a great shame. I think its a fantastic program. One can only imagine how it feels to actually sit up there and look down on this beautiful planet. One of my hopes was to maybe see a launch for real one day on one of my trips to Florida, i hope one day my dream will come true.

--------------------
Sooby

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: sooby]
      #43380 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:50 PM

Here your watching news about our Shuttle and we`re watching news about the London bombings. Very tragic for you and for the U.K.....Anyway, here`s an update on whats happening here in Florida at the Kenndy Space Center. They say that possibly they can launch this Sunday but don`t count on it. A launch late next week is more likely. The launch window closes on the 31st of July and theres talk about extending it to August 4th or 5th. If they don`t launch by then, the next avaliable window will be from September 9th through the 24th. The delays will with out a doubt push back the launch dates for the Shuttle Atantis in November....There you have it..... In a way I`m kind of glad they scubbed the first launch, cause I`m on a business trip in North Charleston and I`ll be back down in Florida this coming weekend. Maybe they`ll be able to get the sensor problem fixed and I can enjoy the launch from my ring side seat down on my beach. I hope so, its awsome especially if its a nice clear day. If they get it fixed, the only problem left is the weather this time of year. Presently, tropical weather will not be the issue, but afternoon thunder storms might come into play. Its a Florida thing....Weatherchef

sooby

Reged:
Loc: Yorkshire England
      #43454 - Sat Jul 16 2005 08:08 PM

Yeah, it's a really sad time here over the bombing's...especially roundabout here as i'm pretty close to where the perpetrators came from in Leeds...it's about 16 miles away from here. It's about time people learned to live together i think dont you? But i personally take strength from you people over the pond, you suffered so much with 9/11 but you came through stronger than ever

--------------------
Sooby

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Shuttle Launch Scrubbed [Re: sooby]
      #43493 - Sun Jul 17 2005 12:53 AM

Over the pond, I love it. Is the Pacific a lake then ? Just kidding. Now about people living together???? We`ve tried that as far back as our ancestors started walking erect. We never quite understood the concept of peaceful coexsistance between tribes , kingdoms , and countries. We have too many borders, we have too many religions,we have too many concepts on how to run a goverment and the people, and we have too many leaders that run countries with hidden agendas. It would be nice to have a world where everything was perfect, a "Utopia" if you will. But I`m afraid we have what we have . As for 9/11 and the London bombings, it showed the world how vunerable we are to extremists that try to ruin the spirt of the people. It just won`t happen to your country or mine. The one thing that they can never can take from us too is our faith in knowing what is truley good and what is truely evil........Weatherchef

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5389

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center