F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Global Warming/Glaciers - For the insomniacs
      #43142 - Fri Jul 15 2005 12:04 AM

I saw the very end of this show just now on National Geopgraphic and thought it looked interesting. It comes on again tonight... I think the times are EST, so if you're up at 2AM... you might enjoy this. We talked about glaciers in my class today and generally people in the south don't think glaciers matter to them... But, if you look at a map of what the coastlines of the US would look like if Greenland and Antarctica were to melt... you'd notice that two important states (Florida and Louisiana) and large portions of other coastal states also, would no longer exist. Something to think aboiut no matter what you think causes global temperature change...

Thursday, July 14, 2005, at 7P

Polar Risk
Polar Risk [TV-G]
This program asks the big question about global climate change, revealing the poles' part in a series of past climate changes. We will explore current changes taking place at the poles and learn about the serious consequences of human impact.

Also airs:
Friday, July 15, 2:00A

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Global Warming/Glaciers - For the insomniacs [Re: Terra]
      #43145 - Fri Jul 15 2005 12:19 AM

Antartica is never going to melt because the average temp is like -80 F in the winter and -25 F in the dog days of the summer. It would physically impossible to melt, what they're talking about is pieces breaking due to increased solar radiation.

With the whole global warming theory becoming a bigger issue lately I think i have a feasible solution, bear with me and please tell me if someone else has had this solution so I can give proper credit. One of the main causes for globabl warming is the increased solar radiation due to ozone depeletion, correct? And on a given day roughly one third of the tropics is blanketed with statrocumulus clouds that are too small to precipitate, and just right to reflect light. These clouds are generated from large weather features, but basically from forcing. If we were to have ships flow through the water, and shoot out a high powered salt water mist into the sky it would generate clouds and increase reflectivity. This would ultimately even out the solar budget, and straigthen the climate. Excess c02 could be stored underground in remote regions on the earth, and leave our atmosphere clean as a whistle. That has already been proven and tested.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Global Warming/Glaciers - For the insomniacs [Re: Keith234]
      #43146 - Fri Jul 15 2005 12:27 AM

The only problem with your idea is that the more you try to 'fix' things, the more problems you may cause. For instance (totally unrelated), the Mississippi River wants to take the shortest route to the Gulf. Since that would be down the Atchafalaya, the Army Corp of Engineers began to control the river in the 70s (I think) to maintain its present course. However, by regulating the water flow and thus preventing bed load sediments from going down the Atchafalaya, the Atchafalaya scours more sediment to retain its equilibruim. This makes it a bigger threat to capture the Mississippi as it made the route to the Gulf even easier this way and causes more problems for the Corp who had to find a way to divert more sediment to prevent this scouring....

Not exactly sure what implications your solution would have, but since everything is so darn complex, I'm sure something would go wrong...

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #43147 - Fri Jul 15 2005 12:30 AM

I doubt there would be any problems because we are stimulating or acting as a natural catalyst to what global warming would naturally do.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
      #43213 - Fri Jul 15 2005 07:43 AM

Thought you may find this interesting

http://nsidc.org/

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #43249 - Fri Jul 15 2005 02:34 PM

I thought this site would be of interest about this topic.....Weatherchef web page First , I went to Global Warming Petion left hand side of home page. Secondly, Petition Project page and clicked "web site" and thirdly, on the next page I clicked on the title of Enviromental Effect of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide......I just thought this paper was interesting....Who do you believe???????

Edited by B.C.Francis (Fri Jul 15 2005 03:00 PM)

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Global Warming/Glaciers - For the insomniacs [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #43270 - Fri Jul 15 2005 04:56 PM

In what peer reviewed journal was the paper published?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #43279 - Fri Jul 15 2005 05:47 PM

I have no idea what journal it was published in. I was surfing the web looking for information on CO2 "sinks" in the enviroment to better understand how carbon dioxide and methane are absorbed and released into the atmosphere. Thats when I stumbled on this paper. All I was interested in is the relationship of CO2 with plant and animal life. I know plants absorb carbon dioxide as a part of photo synthsis and release oxygen back into atmosphere. This is one of those "sinks" that I was looking for to get more infro. Also I was interested in why plants and trees are starting to move into latitudes that have been tundra for the last few centuries. It seemed to me with abuntant carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the growth of plant life would increase porportionatly and then also the same for the animals that feed on plants be it on the surface or in the sea. And it seems to be true.........Science is just another one of my passions, especially when it comes to our enviroment.........Weatherchef

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Global Warming/Glaciers - For the insomniacs [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #43292 - Fri Jul 15 2005 09:44 PM

Just a little tidbit on plants, they don't only breate in carbon dioxide in fact they are constantly taking oxygen in for celluar respiration. When sunny out photosynthesis (c6 h12 o6 + co2 + sunlight = o2) takes place, because sun breaks the hydrogen bond in water which releases ATP (i'm sure terra can do a run down on this). Respiration takes place throughout the entire day as it is necessary for cell mitosis; this function use's oxygen and glusoce from the cell and produces co2 and 36 ATP. So basically a plant can run by itself if a dynamic equlibrum exists between the photosyntesis and respiration. Also note the o2 we breathe is not necessarily from plants, but pre-existed when the earth's atmosphere formed due to gravity. So that's just a little refresher course in photosynthesis and respiration.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #43317 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:30 AM

Photosynetheis and respiration are opposite processes...but, have to be balanced... i.e. the carbons can't be on the same side of the reaction:
Respiration: Glucose + O2 = CO2 + H2O
Photosynethesis: CO2 + H2O = Glucose + O2 (requires energy and a catalyst, chlorophyll)

Plants can, in fact, do both processes. Respiration, however is the one that releases energy, as it is the reverse of photosynthesis, which requires it. Photosynthetic reactions occur in two steps (note, this is overly simplified)...
1)H2O is converted to O2
2)CO2 is converted to a carbohydrate (glucose, etc.)
One of these reactions produce ATP, the other requires it. So, the ATP requirement cancels out in the net equation.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5616

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center