F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 247 (Idalia) , Major: 247 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 247 (Idalia) Major: 247 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: West Coast prep? [Re: susieq]
      #49161 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:42 PM

Wow, the NHC is banking on a hard left turn in fairly short order. Which is definitely possible judging by the elongation and the tendencies on Radar. I'll be watching for a more defined movement to the west for sure.

They did move the long end of the forecast track quite a bit to the right up into the Panhandle, with trends like they are, it might be further later as well. Katrina is going to be one of those that keep you guessing. I'm going to be monitoring the NHC's track vs real track strongly over the next several hours into tomorrow.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: West Coast prep? [Re: MikeC]
      #49163 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:44 PM

what is with NOGAPS no 12Z run i like that model and its not around.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Here is your answer [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #49164 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:45 PM

5pm is out, and track/intensity still looking about the same. Katrina was looking a bit more organized to me on the vis sat this afternoon, but I didn't see any signs of rapid intensification. On the WV loop you can see her starting to get pulled to the west a bit more than she has been.

--------------------
Check the Surf

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
      #49165 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:46 PM

Yeah Mike, Katrina better have some good driving skills because it's a very hard left very soon in the Atlantic and then it's a hard right in the Gulf.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

susieq
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Panhandle
      #49166 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:47 PM

What trends will keep it to the east of Pensacola? Is there a front or steering current that will deflect it from us?

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: West Coast prep? [Re: ralphfl]
      #49167 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:48 PM

Well finally found the 12Z NOGAPS and it is still more west then the NHC so we will have to see.

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: emackl]
      #49168 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

O.K. What's this model?

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/mm5/KATRINA.track.png

Is it any good? Puts her a little closer to me then ya'll down south...LOL! I don't mind the rain but I worry about her staying out to sea too long.

That's the MM5, which has done a pretty abysmal job of forecasting this year...

The move to the right out early next week on the latest NHC package is something on the order of 250 miles!

That's a HUGE move for a single update package, and illustrates that the models - and the NHC - really don't have a solid handle on this thing yet. Looking at the latest model runs it appears the NHC is splitting the difference between the UKMET and NOGAPS... there is a huge divergence between them. MM5 appears to be to the right too, but it hasn't verified this year on anything...... of course you know what they say about past performance and future results!

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Models [Re: Genesis]
      #49171 - Wed Aug 24 2005 08:52 PM

i think the NOGAPS and the gdfl is what the NHC is using to keep it out over the gulf awhile.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/nogapstc2...;hour=Animation

Shows even more of a SW turn when over Florida so i guess the NHC went in the middle of them all.Still i think its a larger cone then some other storms.

Edited by ralphfl (Wed Aug 24 2005 08:57 PM)

ROB H
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, FL.
Re: Florida Straits? [Re: MikeC]
      #49172 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:00 PM

The 5PM Advisory says the center wil be in the Florida straits Thursday night.
How can that be?

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Florida Straits? [Re: ROB H]
      #49173 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:04 PM

Rob:

I think the NHC will correct that; obviously the NHC meant the Gulf Stream or the strait between the Bahamas and Florida. (Unless "Florida Straits" has a secondary meaning and means that area in addition to the water between the Keys & Cuba, which I doubt - never heard it.)

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #49174 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:04 PM

5 PM Disc

It should be pointed out that with SSTs near 31c and a low shear environment...conditions are favorable for possible rapid intensification to occur between now and landfall. This is suggested by the SHIPS model experimental rapid intensification output...which indicates a 57 percent probability of that occurring. The only inhibiting factor is the dry air that surrounds Katrina and has been working its way into the inner-core region and eroding the deep convection. If the dry air mixes out within the next 12 hours...then intensities would likely be higher than the official forecast is indicating.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #49175 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:09 PM

sure looks like its starting to get that westerly component... also convection starting to build up over the general area of the center.... does have that elongated east to west structure that also sometimes indicates a possible change of direction...

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/post-goes

zoom in and you decide

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Landfall? [Re: Fletch]
      #49176 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:09 PM

Possible landfall has moved a bit farther north from 11 a.m. at Ft. Lauderdale(central Broward) to the Palm Beach/Broward line at 5 p.m..

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Landfall? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #49177 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:20 PM

Would it be possible for anyone to make a map with the tracks of Frances, Jeanne and the projected path of Katrina? I am just north of Orlando and not sure what to expect. We lost our east facing roof last year, just wondering if I can compare what we may get to last year......
Thanks!

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Landfall? [Re: FireAng85]
      #49178 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:29 PM

Hey folks,
just got in and have had a chance to go over the NHC products, as well as some of the radar and satellite imagery. I think we will see Katrina make the turn to the left pretty smartly within the next 12 hours. This may be accomapnied by some meandering or erratic movement, but should result in a generally westward motion by the middle part of tomorrow. Satellite imagery is showing some hints of this already beginning, as has some of the recon fixes - although they could have been transient centres. Additionally, Katrina is still in the process of organising, whcih she has done quite impressively today, and this will also have some effect on short term motion. As far as intenisty goes, it is a tough call. I like the NHC's discussion, highlighting the possibility for rapid intensification. I dont think we will see this occur in the short term - i.e tonight, as there seems to be too much reorganising going on at the moment. However, once the westward turn has occurred, i think we could see some pretty rapid intensification, and if this occurs, i wouldnt totally rule out landfall as a Cat2. After florida there is so much divergence and spread in the forecast models that at this stage i really wouldnt want to put a pin in it! However, Katrina will certainly be one for you folks over there in Florida to be watching very closely. Official watches / warnings will also likely go out for the west coast of Florida within the next 12 hours.

97L is also still holding its own, and has become rather more organised today. NHC indicates it could become TD13 on Thursday too.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Landfall? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #49179 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:30 PM Attachment (159 downloads)

Latest Bahamas radar attached, site running very slow as usual. Looks like any more eastward shift to the track once Katrina gets into Gulf will increase the tornado threat to the peninsula.

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

Edited by Jamiewx (Wed Aug 24 2005 09:31 PM)

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Landfall? [Re: FireAng85]
      #49180 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:31 PM

Quote:

Would it be possible for anyone to make a map with the tracks of Frances, Jeanne and the projected path of Katrina? I am just north of Orlando and not sure what to expect. We lost our east facing roof last year, just wondering if I can compare what we may get to last year......
Thanks!

Katrina is just a tropical storm not even a hurricane.
so it's difficult to compare with the storms from last year.
Right now, it looks as if the Orlando area will experience a lot of rain and possibly some tropical storm force winds. Unless the track moves further North, your roof should be ok

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Katrina Weds. pm [Re: MikeC]
      #49181 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:32 PM

I have no updates to make to my thinking from last night on Katrina -- it is behaving exactly as I predicted thus far and still should make landfall about the time projected by myself and the NHC last night, i.e. sometime around midnight tomorrow night.

For the full update, please refer back to the main page or to http://flhurricane.com/blog.php?met=Clark.

Similarly, I have no change to make to my projected track area, though I would tend to favor the eastern edge of that zone; this is in fact slightly west of the current NHC track, though I see no reason to go against their thinking at this time. Intensity might be a tick higher, though. Again, for the full details, see the entry referenced above.

If anything changes, I will post a full update. Otherwise, a minor update can be expected tomorrow with a full track projection for a potential second landfall slated for Thursday night -- or about the time of the first landfall.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Landfall? [Re: Jamiewx]
      #49182 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:34 PM

Will someone explain what this means:

THE LAST
RECON POSITION CAN BE SEEN AS A TIGHT LOW-LEVEL VORTEX MOVING OUT
FROM UNDERNEATH THE DEEP CONVECTION IN THE EAST SEMICIRCLE. IT IS
POSSIBLE THAT THAT VORTEX MAY END UP BEING A TRANSIENT FEATURE. IF
IT TURNS OUT THAT THE CENTER DOES END UP FARTHER NORTH...THEN THE
FORECAST TRACK WILL HAVE TO BE SHIFTED SLIGHTLY NORTHWARD ON THE
NEXT ADVISORY.

What does Transient feature mean? All the talk about possible rapid intensifacation and maybe shifting slightly north makes me nervous. Can someone put it in plain english for me? Thanks

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
So an Eye-like feature (of sorts) was found in recon? [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #49183 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:36 PM

That's an interesting tidbit that I'm a little confused on, At this point I thought the feature would have been a dry slot wrapping into the convection, but if it is an effort to form an eye (of sorts), then the system is more organized than I would have expected. I think it also gives a heads up that the system could intensify fairly rapidly at any point (particularly during the evening hours).

The turn hasn't happened yet, but as everyone has pointed out, who knows when it will happen.

Even with only 40Kt winds, I'm no longer considering this a weak Tropical Storm. So, I think upper level winds will now play a larger role in steering the storm. hmmmm what are the upper level steering currents at this point?

and is Katrina going to start making it's own environment? (Which I think it already is starting to do....)

-mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44113

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center