F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 245 (Idalia) , Major: 245 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 245 (Idalia) Major: 245 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #49230 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:52 PM

She really had a burst in the last couple of frames of IR.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #49231 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:56 PM

the speed of this system will also be a big factor in where it ultimately ends up... if it slows down then I think it will end up much farther to the east for its second landfall in the GOM... if it can maintain a good speed as it enters the GOM, it will be driven farther to the west per the ridge over time before the ridge starts to break down and the system starts the move to the north and landfall.... this could get quite interesting.... and it will also be interesting to see what the models will do the next day or two... but I bet they change, one way or another....

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
18Z model runs [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #49232 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:56 PM

The 18Z GFS is even further to the right than the 12Z run, as it only brings Katrina to the coast and then basically skirts the coast all the way up to NC and then out to sea. This seems unrealistic.

The 18Z GFDL is pretty similar to the 12Z run, though more aggressive if anything. It still predicts doom for the Keys. This also seems somewhat unrealistic as it requires a pretty substantial southward jog at some point.

It'll be interesting to see what the other runs show, though I suspect the 00Z runs will have a somewhat better handle on the center of the system at the initial time.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Landfall? [Re: Jekyhe904]
      #49233 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:58 PM

Looks like the center is due east of Ft Laud now and still moving W-NW or NW. Looks increasingly like a WPB or slightly further north landfall unless she starts moving W-SW at some point prior to landall. Also, with an early friday am landfall, the storm should start to slow down soon.

--------------------
RJB

Susan in Jupiter, FL
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: Frank P]
      #49234 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:58 PM

I just watched the 8 p.m. update on NHC channel, and it is now heading west at 9 mph. So, I have no idea what Chris Farrell on Channel 12 was talking about. Can't wait to hear his explanation!

--------------------
Susan in Jupiter, FL Survived:
Andrew, Irene, Charley, Francis,
Ivan, Jeanne, Katrina, Wilma

HURRICANE EYE
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: ORLANDO, FLORIDA
      #49235 - Wed Aug 24 2005 11:59 PM

8 PM reports movement to the wnw near 26 n 77.6 w , and 5pm was at 25.6n 77.2 w thats.4 n and .4 w seems like a north west movement still to me?

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Landfall? [Re: Ron Basso]
      #49236 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:01 AM

7:53 EDT I have the center at 26.02n and 77.65w ~ 159 miles ese of WPB.... moving basically wnw (per radar presentation)

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: HURRICANE EYE]
      #49237 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:03 AM

the wnw motion only started during the past hour and a half or so as best I can tell.... IMO

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
      #49238 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:03 AM

The 5pm update was using a center position that was a little further south than the recon fixes, but the latest update seems to be using the recon center fix. The last few recon fixes have shown a general WNW movement.

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
      #49239 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

the wnw motion only started during the past hour and a half or so as best I can tell.... IMO

ok Frank.. last annoying question from me tonight.. its 8pm... any hurricane warnings going up for miami? I have to leave the office now..... and make a final decision

thanks guys!

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: trinibaje]
      #49241 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:11 AM

boy you're asking the wrong guy.... more than likely Miami will be on the southern half of the storm, which normally is not as bad as the NE quadrant.... right now I'd say somewhere between WPB and FL... but that only if it continues on its present path.... it's sat presentation continues to look better over time, its over some darn hot water, convection continues to build near the center....... could it make Cat 1 hurricane, I would think so, will it.... I'm not smart enough to tell you... perhaps one of the mets could better address your question.... bottom line.... I always listen to what the NHC is forecasting... they're the best of the best... good luck to all the floridians in the path of this one... hopefully it won't get much stronger

regardless not much difference between a strong TS or a Cat 1 storm....

HURRICANE EYE
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: ORLANDO, FLORIDA
      #49242 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:12 AM

Well , i will agree that it sure does look to be moving wnw on radar, if it keeps that track to the 11 oclock advisory, id say hello WPB.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #49243 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:16 AM

yeah we should be able from here on out be able to see exactly where it's going with the radar presentations..... and whether or not it is going to slow down or change directions... the internet is a wonderful tool for us weather junkies....

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: trinibaje]
      #49244 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:18 AM

Just a few observations and newsbits from where I sit here in Atlanta......
1) Looks like once Kat crosses over into the GOM, it's almost an immediate right turn to the Fl Peninsula....a question, would the front that moved through North Georgia have anything to do with the steering of this storm?

2) According to the Sun-Sentinel, South Palm barrier island and all mobile home park residents are ordered to evacuate by 1pm Thursday.

3) If the track takes Kat anywhere near Atlanta, look for moderate to major delays in flying in and out of Atlanta...espcially Delta and Air-Tran.

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
      #49245 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:22 AM

Just saw on TWC Dr Lyons say it is now moving WNW Also Jim Cantore is in Miami.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm path [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #49246 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:23 AM

interesting... check this out...

using this radar presentation the center does appear to be heading DUE WEST directly for FL.... hmmmm

FL - Fort Laud... (didn't want anyone to think I meant florida.... I think thats a given perhaps... hehe)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kamx.shtml

Edited by Frank P (Thu Aug 25 2005 12:33 AM)

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
ShortWave IR Loop [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #49247 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:25 AM

Did something happen with the shortwave IR on NOAA? The storm, and really almost all convection on the screen, went dark blue after being fairly weak for a while. Is this a sign that Katrina is strengthing even more? It just seems odd that all of a sudden all this dark blue shows up where it had all been light blue.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #49248 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:26 AM

just noticed that the NWS experiemental radar has not updated since 7:53 EDT... the NWS radar is updating and that is the presentation showing the due west motion attm, IMO only

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #49249 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:30 AM

Agree, I've been watching the NOAA Radar out of Miami and the Storm is moving due West right now.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
katrina radar [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #49250 - Thu Aug 25 2005 12:34 AM

this should show movement pretty well:

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44085

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center